EDBEngineError -- has to do w/ FORMS -- HELP?!?!
Author Message
 EDBEngineError -- has to do w/ FORMS -- HELP?!?!

Hi--

Problem with Delphi-- I have a Tdatabase control on one form.

TTables that use this database are scattered across many forms.

Some Forms will .Create fine, others bomb [EDBEngineError --
can't find SQL Server].  Of course you can find the stupid
SQL Server, Delphi, if you couldn't , you couldnt .Create
the Form w/Tdatabase(duh..duh).

This error occurs when my .DPR goes to do its .Creates for my
various forms.

Any help appreciated--this is genuinely irritating.

--Bruce McCormack

Sun, 29 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 EDBEngineError -- has to do w/ FORMS -- HELP?!?!

Quote:

>Problem with Delphi-- I have a Tdatabase control on one form.
>TTables that use this database are scattered across many forms.
>Some Forms will .Create fine, others bomb [EDBEngineError --
>can't find SQL Server].  Of course you can find the stupid
>SQL Server, Delphi, if you couldn't , you couldnt .Create
>the Form w/Tdatabase(duh..duh).
>This error occurs when my .DPR goes to do its .Creates for my
>various forms.

Without seeing the actual application...  a few thoughts to try:

(1)  Is the form that contains the TDatabase object the first one to be
created by the main program?  If it does not yet exist...

(2)  Are the form(s) that cause the errors the first ones to contain *active*
TTables that are to be linked against the database?

You see, it's *not* "duh-duh," because creating a TDatabase object does *not*
create a session with the server at that time!  It's when you open an active
table that the session is created and a connection with the server is
attempted; and the "KeepConnections" property determines in-part how long the
session continues to exist as tables are opened and closed.  Therefore, Delphi
felt it had no reason to check on the server connection when it created the
TDatabase object.

-Mike Robinson; Sundial Services, Scottsdale AZ  (602) 946-8259; fax 874-2068

Mon, 30 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Help: Having trouble with a TQuery and forms

2. Newcomer to Delphi - Retrieving data from tables without having to use form

3. Closing a form after an EDBEngineError exception is handled

4. Help, having strange BGI-fonts.

5. Help-Having trouble to inserting the new record - ctnsho~1.pas (0/2)

6. Help.. Having trouble with program

7. Help, someone having Free Pascal

8. Help: Still Having problems with QReport and 11x17 paper size

9. Help-having troubles inserting new record - ctnsho~1.pas (2/2)

10. Help-having troubles inserting new record - ctnsho~1.pas (1/2)

11. Help-having troubles inserting new record - ctnsho~1.pas (0/2)

12. HELP: Having trouble with basic procedure!!!