How to access other fields not on the current record?
Author Message
 How to access other fields not on the current record?

I must be missing something.

Is there a way to access data from other records in a detail query without
moving the current record?

I have a Master/Detail arrangement using cached updates.  I need to be able
to access other records in the detail without moving the current record.
These
records are in the cache.  That is, they have been posted; but, have not
been
applied to the database.

I do not want to post the current record because it may be incomplete; but,
want to use the values of other records to help fill-in the current record.

What I want is a way to treat the detail query as an array of records.

To further complicate the problem, I need access to these records when the
master record is recalled for editing purposes too.  In this case, some or
all
of the detail records may be in the database.

I have actually gone so far as to experiment with calling DBIGetField.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
William
--
William Tucker
Compu-Share, Inc.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 How to access other fields not on the current record?

Quote:
> Is there a way to access data from other records in a detail query without
> moving the current record?

Have you tried to use another DataSource and TTable to access the table?
You could then stay on the record you don't want to post yet on one
table, and edit another record with the other...

I might be wrong, but it's worth a try.

Good luck

Bruce Wat

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 How to access other fields not on the current record?

Quote:
> > Is there a way to access data from other records in a detail query
without
> > moving the current record?

> Have you tried to use another DataSource and TTable to access the table?
> You could then stay on the record you don't want to post yet on one
> table, and edit another record with the other...

> I might be wrong, but it's worth a try.

Sorry Bruce,

That was my first idea too; but, it won't work because of cached updates.
The second TTable can't see rows which are in the cache of the first table.

Thanks,
William
--
William Tucker
Compu-Share, Inc.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. DBGrid and not-current record buffer access

2. bookmark on prior record not current record.

3. MS Access Counter fields and Insert (not DbGrid).

4. Variable field access to TYPE: RECORD

5. No Current Record with Filter in D2

6. How to get current record in a query

7. DBLookupComboBox: EDBEngineError 'No Current record'

8. Current Record Number

9. Getting Value from current tquery record

10. QuickReport: How to print only the current record?

11. Getting current record number

12. Getting the current record number