MS-Access 2.0 and Delphi 3.0 C/S Problem
Author Message
 MS-Access 2.0 and Delphi 3.0 C/S Problem

Please help.  I was able to access an Access 2.0 table when I was
developing my application under W95.  Since upgrading to WinNT4, I
have not been able to access the same table.  I know I'm missing
something very simple, but I can't put my mouse on it.

The error message I get is:
General SQL Error
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access 97 Driver] Record(s) can't be read;
no read permission on 'archive'..

The program that was compiled under W95 will run fine but any changes
I attempt under NT result in the above message.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Jay

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 MS-Access 2.0 and Delphi 3.0 C/S Problem
Sounds to me as thou, the NT machine is a newly setup machine.
Did it ever have Access 2 installed on it?  If not then the necessary
jet engine files will not have been installed.
It should be noted that MS-Access is NOT backward compatible.
Access97 can read Access 95 (or Access 2) files (usually), but it can
never
write to them until they are converted to Access 97.
Just the same as Access 95 can read Access 2 (but not Access 97) but
cannot write into an Access 2 file.
That's why the ODBC drivers have the convert button on the setup screen.
Oh it should be noted Access 2 is a 16-bit engine/database and 16-bit
ODBC
drivers are often not installed (by default) on WinNT (thou they can be).
Quote:

> Please help.  I was able to access an Access 2.0 table when I was
> developing my application under W95.  Since upgrading to WinNT4, I
> have not been able to access the same table.  I know I'm missing
> something very simple, but I can't put my mouse on it.

> The error message I get is:
> General SQL Error
> [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access 97 Driver] Record(s) can't be read;
> no read permission on 'archive'..

> The program that was compiled under W95 will run fine but any changes
> I attempt under NT result in the above message.

> Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

> Jay

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 MS-Access 2.0 and Delphi 3.0 C/S Problem
I would rather say that you have to check the file or directory permisions on your MDB file. Probably you have set them read only. Change them in full control for the current user (you have to log on as administrator for that).

That is if you have NTFS.

Access 97 can read or write data in earlier versions but can not change structural things like tables or queries.

Vasilis

SNIP

Quote:
>It should be noted that MS-Access is NOT backward compatible.
>Access97 can read Access 95 (or Access 2) files (usually), but it can
>never
>write to them until they are converted to Access 97.
>Just the same as Access 95 can read Access 2 (but not Access 97) but
>cannot write into an Access 2 file.
>>SNIP

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. MS Access 2.0 versus Delphi 3.0

2. Delphi 2.0 CS Update & BLOB Problem

3. 3 Questions on Delphi 3.0 cs

4. Key violation - MS Access DB and Delphi 3.0

5. Delphi 3.0 vs MS Access 97

6. Delphi 3.0 vs. MS Access

7. ODBC-->MS Access 2.0 Problems

8. MS Works DB and SS format...

9. Problems with connection to an MS-Access 2.0 database

10. Accessing Access 2.0 MDBs from Delphi 2.0

11. Delphi 2.0 and MS Access 7.0

12. Deleting a detail record using Delphi 1.0 on a MS Access 2.0 database