SQL on Paradox tables
Author Message
 SQL on Paradox tables

Hi there!
I've got a kind of "theoretical" question - I've read that when BDE performs
a query against Paradox (or any other local DB), it just copies all the
table from server to workstation to process it locally; so, when I run a
query against considerably big table (like archive table etc.) it all goes
to client?
I've already conversed my db to InterBase, but now I'm sitting wondering if
this was worth doing :)

Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:01:04 GMT
 SQL on Paradox tables
Quote:

>Hi there!
>I've got a kind of "theoretical" question - I've read that when BDE
performs
>a query against Paradox (or any other local DB), it just copies all the
>table from server to workstation to process it locally; so, when I run a
>query against considerably big table (like archive table etc.) it all goes
>to client?
>I've already conversed my db to InterBase, but now I'm sitting wondering if
>this was worth doing :)

Absolutely. Paradox is nice, fast and has low overhead, but is very fragile
and you depend on BDE.
Interbase is rock solid SQL server, you can work via BDE (TQuery), IBX,
..... With Interbase you lose some performance on single table selects, but
gain on multiple table selects (joins), views, stored procedures, triggers,
seamlees move from single to multiuser system,....

--
Robert

Sat, 21 Feb 2004 01:21:15 GMT
 SQL on Paradox tables

Quote:

>Absolutely. Paradox is nice, fast and has low overhead, but is very fragile
>and you depend on BDE.
>Interbase is rock solid SQL server, you can work via BDE (TQuery), IBX,
>..... With Interbase you lose some performance on single table selects, but
>gain on multiple table selects (joins), views, stored procedures, triggers,
>seamlees move from single to multiuser system,....

I have worked with Paradox since V2.0 for DOS. I'm about 50% into converting
a moderately complex application from Pdox 4.5 for DOS to Delphi 4, keeping
the Pdox tables 12 in all, largest 2.5MB, total 4.8MB, not counting indices,
forms, reports etc, so performance isn't really a problem. What
sort of job it would be to switch to local Interbase, and would it be a
reasonable thing to do?

Pat
Too old to work

Sun, 22 Feb 2004 00:01:10 GMT
 SQL on Paradox tables
As long as you've switched to PDox for Delphi 4, migrating to Interbase
isn't a great problem... Some annoyance with triggers and autoincrement
fields and so on, but absolutely for sure worth doing.... Interbase is much
more stronger and reliable... even if you're not planning to use in on
multiple PCs.

Yuriy

Ukraine

Quote:
> I have worked with Paradox since V2.0 for DOS. I'm about 50% into
converting
> a moderately complex application from Pdox 4.5 for DOS to Delphi 4,
keeping
> the Pdox tables 12 in all, largest 2.5MB, total 4.8MB, not counting
indices,
> forms, reports etc, so performance isn't really a problem. What
> sort of job it would be to switch to local Interbase, and would it be a
> reasonable thing to do?

> Pat
> Too old to work

Sun, 22 Feb 2004 21:31:29 GMT

1. Q - SQL / D2 / Paradox Tables / SQL Syntax question!!

2. BDE 5.0 SQL on Paradox tables so slow in comparisont to BDE 2.52

3. SQL on Paradox tables

4. Better SQL for Paradox Tables?

5. joining a paradox table to an MSAccess table in an SQL query

6. Help with SQL Statement applied to Paradox tables

7. paradox or SQL table?

8. Q: SQL-INNER JOIN and Paradox Tables

9. Delphi1 and SQL-Date ind Query for paradox table

10. SQL use with paradox tables

11. Help on storing SQL Table result to a Paradox file

12. Q: Using SQL to add fields to Paradox table