pdoxusrs file / multi user access / local share
Author Message
 pdoxusrs file / multi user access / local share

D3 app. Runs flawlessly. Uses BDE 4 and Paradox tables with referential
integrity.

I want to allow extra user(s) to use the application via peer-to-peer
Win95/98 network.

I have tried 3 different scenarios:

--ONE (the usual setting which works fine with  Delphi apps using dBASE
files)
Setting: No special settings or coding.
Result: Users can use app and access tables without problem.
But, only the changes of one user are stored!

--TWO (as advised by Paradox 8 readme)
Setting:  "LOCAL SHARE" to TRUE in the BDE Configuration Utility on the
System page.
Results: The second user trying to run the app gets no access:
Error message: "Directory controlled by .NET file."
Location of Lock files:
PDOXUSRS.NET in local root.
PARADOX.LCK in app working directory.
PDOXUSRS.LCK in app working directory.

Note: It does not matter whether the user working on the PC that acts as
the server also has LOCAL SHARE set to true.

--THREE
Setting: Coding in delphi to force the LCK directory to be local:
Session.PrivateDir to local directory.
Result: As in scenario TWO except the location of the lock files is
different.
Location of Lock files:
PDOXUSRS.NET in local root.
PARADOX.LCK in local root.
PDOXUSRS.LCK in local root.
PDOXUSRS.LCK in app working directory.

Anyone any idea how to allow multiple access?

Marcel Brugmans

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 pdoxusrs file / multi user access / local share

Quote:
>D3 app. Runs flawlessly. Uses BDE 4 and Paradox tables with referential
>integrity.

>I want to allow extra user(s) to use the application via peer-to-peer
>Win95/98 network.

>I have tried 3 different scenarios:

No one of your three scenarios will work very good. Try to use a dedicated
server (Novell) for storing your files.
But if you want peer-to-peer:
- set local share true for all pcs
- set net dir to a directory of the "server" for all  "clients"
- delete all existing .lck and paradox.net files on all clients before
starting your work

Heiko Lttge

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 pdoxusrs file / multi user access / local share

magdeburg.de says...
Quote:
> >D3 app. Runs flawlessly. Uses BDE 4 and Paradox tables with referential
> >integrity.

> >I want to allow extra user(s) to use the application via peer-to-peer
> >Win95/98 network.

> >I have tried 3 different scenarios:

> No one of your three scenarios will work very good. Try to use a dedicated
> server (Novell) for storing your files.
> But if you want peer-to-peer:
> - set local share true for all pcs
> - set net dir to a directory of the "server" for all  "clients"
> - delete all existing .lck and paradox.net files on all clients before
> starting your work

> Heiko Lttge

I tried setting the net dir in the BDE of all clients to the shared dir
on the server, but still only one user is granted access.
Do I also have to point the session.privatedir to that server directory,
does it have to be local, or can I completely ignore this setting?

Marcel Brugmans

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 pdoxusrs file / multi user access / local share

Quote:

> Location of Lock files:
> PDOXUSRS.NET in local root.
> PARADOX.LCK in app working directory.
> PDOXUSRS.LCK in app working directory.

That does not work. NetfileDir must be a DIRECTORY, and BDE does
not count the root to be a directory.

Everyone should have the Netfiledir setting for example X:\MYDIR\DATA,
pointing to the same shared directory, and only the letter 'X' may vary
between different users. Otherwise lockings won't work, but sooner or later
corrupts your database.

-Turn the local share on.
-Delete ALL the paradox .NET and .LCK files you can find.
-Double check, that every user has the right Netfiledir, also the server,
 if you use it also as a workstation.
-Point every user's PrivateDirectory to a directory on their own hard
 disk, not on the server.

Markku Nevalainen

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 pdoxusrs file / multi user access / local share

Quote:

>I tried setting the net dir in the BDE of all clients to the shared dir
>on the server, but still only one user is granted access.
>Do I also have to point the session.privatedir to that server directory,
>does it have to be local, or can I completely ignore this setting?

Set the temp dir to local drive.
Did you delete all existing paradox.lck, paradox.net and pdoxusrs.net files.

Heiko

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Multi-User access to the LIBS ( Local Interbase Server )

2. Help! Sharing Paradox tables in multi-user system

3. Multi User Database Sharing

4. Local DataBase table multi-user aware??

5. Multi User in Access

6. Multi-User access to Paradox Tables.

7. Multi-user access to Paradox tables in Delphi 1.02

8. Delphi & MS Access database(multi-user)

9. Multi user access to PDOX table

10. Multi-user access - Delphi/Paradox

11. Multi-user/Access behavior with refresh button.

12. Multi-User access of paradox database