Q: FindKey equivalent for dBASE indexes based on expressions
Author Message
 Q: FindKey equivalent for dBASE indexes based on expressions

Hi!

I've recently started work on an application with dBASE files, after
getting used to Paradox. There doesn't seem to be an equivalent to FindKey,
FindNearest, SetRange etc, for indexes based on expressions. Code like
  result := FindKey([OldCode], [OldCode]);
gave me 'Index out of range'. (8-\)

Does any-one know how to get around this problem? We would really
appreciate being able to use these functions. For the meantime we are
using an extra field based index, but this is an added complexity not
compatible with the rest of the system.

=== Mark Patterson

Sat, 19 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Q: FindKey equivalent for dBASE indexes based on expressions

Quote:
>Hi!

>I've recently started work on an application with dBASE files, after
>getting used to Paradox. There doesn't seem to be an equivalent to FindKey,
>FindNearest, SetRange etc, for indexes based on expressions. Code like
>  result := FindKey([OldCode], [OldCode]);
>gave me 'Index out of range'. (8-\)

>Does any-one know how to get around this problem? We would really
>appreciate being able to use these functions. For the meantime we are
>using an extra field based index, but this is an added complexity not
>compatible with the rest of the system.

>=== Mark Patterson

You should use SetKey and GotoNearest.

GotoKey may work (almost always in my applications) but it isn't clearly
defined for which situations it does.

Borland's Technical information document TI2838 has more valuable
information. I can mail a copy of needed.

Mark

Polyhedron Software Ltd.
Programs for Programmers - QA, Compilers, Graphics
************ Visit our Web site on http://www.polyhedron.co.uk/ ************

Mon, 21 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Findkey() with Expression Index raises EDatabaseError

2. Problem with Findkey and dBase index

3. Problems in Expression Index for DBase table

4. Question about expression indicies (dBase index)

5. Tip: dBASE Expression Indexes: A Primer

6. Ranges and dBase expression indexes

7. dbase expression indexes

8. DBase Expression Indexes and Memos

9. Creating filtered expression indexes for DBase IV

10. Creating dbase expression Indices with Local SQL

11. dBASE expression Indexes - help needed!!

12. Master-Detail with DBase Expression-Index