What do I have to copy for database on a another machine?
Author Message
 What do I have to copy for database on a another machine?

Hi,

I made a program with delphi 3.0 with the database
components.
The program works on my own computer. If i copy
the project.exe on another machine, i get the
messages unable to load BDE.
I think I have to copy a couple of file of the
BDE, I can't find a specefication for what i have
to copy?
Can somebody help me?

S.Z.

Sat, 24 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 What do I have to copy for database on a another machine?

What Delphi are you using?  If you are using Delphi C/S you should have
InstallShield Express that came with it.  You should make an installation
program with InstallShield because it will install all the BDE stuff you will
need to run the application on another machine.
********************************
Michael Glatz

Sat, 24 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 What do I have to copy for database on a another machine?
@cts.com
Newsgroups: comp.lang.Pascal.delphi.databases

Even Delphi(X) Pro versions come with InstallShield Express.  As I
understand it, my D4 InstallShield Express version includes a minimum
install of the BDE too.  Otherwise, go to Inprise's
http://www.inprise.com/searchsite/ site and search across the site for "BDE"
without the quotes.  You will find much more information than you ever
wanted.  One of the items should be a TechTip which gives you the exact
filenames of the bde files you need.

Since they have the BDE on their site, if you want users to download it, you
can even point to their site from yours (let Inprise pay for the bandwidth
and maybe they'll make the BDE smaller ;)

However, if you can use InstallShield Express, do so as it gives your app a
very nice look & feel.

Good Luck,

marvin stone

Quote:

>Hi,

>I made a program with delphi 3.0 with the database
>components.
>The program works on my own computer. If i copy
>the project.exe on another machine, i get the
>messages unable to load BDE.
>I think I have to copy a couple of file of the
>BDE, I can't find a specefication for what i have
>to copy?
>Can somebody help me?

>S.Z.

Sat, 24 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 What do I have to copy for database on a another machine?
Simon,

In D4 there's a topic entitled "Borland Database Engine" in the Delphi
WinHelp file. Apparently one must make changes to the registry, as well as
adding files. So they suggest using InstallShield. (It wasn't difficult to
alter the ini files to install the BDE under D1--but those days are gone,
alas.)

Bill

Quote:
>... i get the
> messages unable to load BDE.
> I think I have to copy a couple of file of the
> BDE, I can't find a specefication for what i have
> to copy? ...

Sun, 25 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 What do I have to copy for database on a another machine?
There is a text file in the delphi main directory that tells you how
to distribute files that rely on the BDE.

I clipped this right out of that file (but I strongly recommend that
you read the file as it has other information about distributing many
kinds of applications)

3. BDE deployment (all database applications)

    Borland Database Engine (BDE) redistributable files
    In accordance with the Additional License Terms for Borland
    Database Engine, you may distribute the Borland Database Engine
    files with your application using a Borland-certified
    Redistributable Install program such as InstallShield Express or
    another compliant install program. You may redistribute only those
    BDE files selected by the Borland-certified install program.

    Delphi 3 includes InstallShield Express, a certified install
    program that facilitates proper installation and un-installation
of
    Delphi applications. InstallShield Express helps ensure that your
    applications co-exist well with other software that uses the
    BDE, such as dBASE, Paradox, and C++. InstallShield Express also
    makes it easy to distribute subsets of the Borland Database
Engine;
    this is useful, for example, if you want to distribute an
    application that uses only dBASE tables, and you don't want to
    include additional files for Paradox support.

    NOTE: InstallShield Express installs the MS Access driver with the
    ODBC driver. To deploy Access applications, select the ODBC driver
    in InstallShield. The Access driver requires installation of the
    JET engine (DAO 3.0) on the computer where it is deployed.

    NOTE: Do not deploy DB-Lib and CT-Lib with the same application.
    DB-Lib is for Sybase 4.2 or lower, and CT-Lib is for Sybase
    System 10 and higher.

    From time to time, Borland may, at its discretion, certify
    additional installation programs for use as a Borland Certified
    Install Program for this product. You should visit Borland's
    Web site (http://www.inprise.com/) for the latest information,
    including the current list (CERTINST.DOC) of Borland Certified
    Install programs (if any) for this product.

    Deployment of Borland Database Engine files and subsets must be
    done with a Borland Certified Install Program. We do not otherwise
    allow deployment of the individual BDE files. There are several
    important reasons for this:

      o Improper installation of the BDE or BDE subsets can cause
other
        applications using the BDE to fail. Such applications include
        not only Borland products, but many other programs that use
        the BDE, such as those built with Borland C++ and Delphi.

      o Windows 95 and Windows NT now have stringent un-install
        requirements for MS logo certification.  Un-installation of
        BDE components is especially complex, and if not done
        correctly will violate logo requirements and can cause
        applications to fail.

      o Windows 95 and Windows NT use the registry instead of .INI
        files, and making the correct entries and deletions for
        install and un-install is also a complex task.

    By working closely with Borland Certified Install Program
    providers, we can ensure that all the installation, registry,
    and un-install tasks are handled correctly.

On Tue, 06 Oct 1998 11:48:27 +0200, Simon Zwarts

Quote:

>Hi,

>I made a program with delphi 3.0 with the database
>components.
>The program works on my own computer. If i copy
>the project.exe on another machine, i get the
>messages unable to load BDE.
>I think I have to copy a couple of file of the
>BDE, I can't find a specefication for what i have
>to copy?
>Can somebody help me?

>S.Z.

--------------------
Bill Artemik
Programmer / Analyst
New England Research Institutes

Mon, 26 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 What do I have to copy for database on a another machine?

The reply by Bill Artemik is worth reading carefully. I recall reading the
original bit of paper and the Borland licence requires all distributions of the
BDE to be carried out by a certified installation program.

This makes a LOT of sense. Remember your application is probably not the only
one that
uses the BDE. It really is kind of unfriendly to trash other applications while
installing yours.

Graham Plain,
Prism communications.

Mon, 26 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. a copy of pascal for a lynx machine

2. code machine/ machine language

3. having troubl with a growing database

4. Having a problem with Access Databases and Delphi 3

5. Running Database on other machine

6. Accessing a database on a remote machine via Network Neighborhood

7. Lean, Mean, Database Machine

8. Doing a search in a one to many database

9. Help doing database stuff with Delphi

10. Doing Math with the Database

11. Copying databases

12. Database and DDE Copy and Paste