Discussion : Best Report Engine !
Author Message
 Discussion : Best Report Engine !

Hi Friends,

I'd like to know from you all about your favourite report engine. The
best report engines that I heard lately are :

1. Crystal Report 5.0 (My favourite - currently using 4.5)
2. Report Printer Pro (I downloaded the demo and not interested)
3. Quick Report 2.0x (Popular - but have some glitches)
4. Ace Reporter (Havent see it yet, but my friend Kerri is like it
better than Crystal)

Now, let us knows what you think by following this message Ok ?
This is for educational purposes only - so no hard feeling for all
vendors.

Ok ? Lets do it !

:)

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Discussion : Best Report Engine !

1. I went through 3 versions of Crystal Reports trying to get something
sensible out of it before I junked it. It's OK for ad-hoc stuff but
*very* limited in formatting and formulae.

2. Report Printer is really excellent but you have to code it. I use it
a lot.

3. QuickReports 2 had a lot of glitches which appear to have gone away
with the new version 2.0h, shipping with the Delphi 3.01 update.

4. Lots of people like Ace. It's a personal opinion but I didn't.

5. Have you looked at Piparti?

Nick Spurrier (MoDESoft, UK)

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Discussion : Best Report Engine !

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Discussion : Best Report Engine !

Quote:
> 3. QuickReports 2 had a lot of glitches which appear to have gone away
> with the new version 2.0h, shipping with the Delphi 3.01 update.

STOP! Is there a Delphi 3.01 update available??? (I was planning to update
to D3 when 3.01 arrived so...)

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Discussion : Best Report Engine !

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Discussion : Best Report Engine !

Quote:

>I'd like to know from you all about your favourite report engine. The
>best report engines that I heard lately are :

>1. Crystal Report 5.0 (My favourite - currently using 4.5)

Tried it.  Hated it.  Aside from issues of performance and the
requirement to include all their DLLs, it seemed very limited in what
it could do.

Quote:
>2. Report Printer Pro (I downloaded the demo and not interested)

Tried it.  Loved it.  Got The Boss to buy it.  Use it consistently.
Fast, powerful, and compiles into the finished app so there aren't any
supporting files required.  Sure, you don't get a warm, fuzzy visual
report design interface, but I prefer writing real code anyhow.

Quote:
>3. Quick Report 2.0x (Popular - but have some glitches)
>4. Ace Reporter (Havent see it yet, but my friend Kerri is like it
>better than Crystal)

Never tried either.  I'd fallen in love with RPPro before hearing of
these report engines and have no desire to switch.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Discussion : Best Report Engine !

Well, let's see. I've disliked Crystal for a long time, for many of the
reasons mentioned by pervious posters. reportPrinterPro is allegedly
great, but for {*filter*} out quick reports, forget it. I for one am now
used to using nice visual report designers, and don't want to go back to
writing code, but everone who likes RPP really likes it, and it seems to
be the most truely object-oriented of the bunch.
Quick report is OK, but I'm not sure I would want to use it as the
mainstay of my report writers. The new version 3 is better, but support is
somewhat lacking.
My favorite of those I've tried is Ace Reporter, with an easy to use
visual interface, and it just seems to work the way I expect it to, which
I can't say for the others.
I have never tried Piparti, but their ads in the informant look good.

Brad Miller

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Help : Anyone know good report engine that can display good chart ?

2. A good, small, database engine WTD (shareware or freeware)

3. Best Database Engine?

4. The best game-engine

5. Better Database Engine???

6. Good database engines?

7. A good report writer

8. Reportsmith: best report writer!

9. Need better report writer

10. Shazam - Ad Hoc reports -- Any good?

11. The Best Print Report Component

12. XML Discussion