bde -> mssql server 6.5 via tcpip : config?
Author Message
 bde -> mssql server 6.5 via tcpip : config?

Hi.

We've setup an mssql server on our web box, and I can connect and
successfully query it via MS's isql tool, so the connection is AOK.

Now, how do I point my BDE database control to a table available on another
host ? How do I specify the IP/Hostname etc?

Appreciate any thoughts,
Shaun McArthur

Wed, 25 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 bde -> mssql server 6.5 via tcpip : config?
I solved it myself and will share :

1. after setup of the mssql server, be sure to note the IP and have
validated logins for sa, a normal user and yourself
2. setup a temporary table in a database and make sure you can query it from
the server itself.
3. on the remote box (95 in this case), make an entry for the server in the
/windows/system/hosts file (name & IP) & restart the machine.
4.  setup mssql client  on the 95 machine and verify that it can see the
server when the tcpip connection is up.
5. set up a bde alias (MSSQL driver) and add the servers host name to the
host field (same as entry made earlier to hosts file).
6. save & restart (redundant, possibly not necessary)

- use a TDatabase component in the datamodule and configure it to look at
the alias just setup.

- note when you open the table, it now needs to dial out, and will not shut
the server connection until you exit Delphi.

Shaun McArthur

Quote:

>Hi.

>We've setup an mssql server on our web box, and I can connect and
>successfully query it via MS's isql tool, so the connection is AOK.

>Now, how do I point my BDE database control to a table available on another
>host ? How do I specify the IP/Hostname etc?

>Appreciate any thoughts,
>Shaun McArthur

Thu, 26 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. INFO: Moving from BDE 3.0 to 3.5 with Persistent TMemofield and MSSQL-server 6.5

2. Callback messages from MSSQL server 6.5 - Help please

3. D2 SQL LINKS and MSSQL Server 6.5

4. Delphi to MSSQL Server 6.5

5. MSSQL 6.5 Server with Delphi 2.01 ???

6. Migrating a Delphi 3 - Paradox c/s app to MSSQL Server 6.5

7. MSSQL 6.5 BDE ERROR

8. Standard problem - BDE 3.5 + MSSQL 6.5 + IDENTITYColumn = Insert Fails

9. HELP>>HELP>>Using an Index for an MSSQL database

10. Delphi 2.0 -> BDE -> SQL Server 6.5 Problem

11. Server Cursors SQL Server 6.5

12. Setting just the Server Property in the BDE Config file at runtime