Delphi, Paradox and Network
Author Message
 Delphi, Paradox and Network

Hello,

        I am sorry to ask again the same question but my Internet provider
crashes its Hard Drive so I didn't receive the answears (if there have
been some). So if you answeared to me please mail me again the
answear.

        Thank you

        I have some troubles with delphi working on Paradox tables across a
Netware 3.12 File Server.

        I describe the situation:
        - 2 computers on a network under Windows 3.1 with Netware extensions
        - 1 Netware 3.12 server of the network
        - 1 program which needs to work on the 2 computers at the same time.
The program was written with Delphi (of course) and is using Paradox
tables.
        - Some Paradox tables on the file server.

        My problem is that the 2 computers cannot use the program at the same
time or the second computer which start the program is getting
'Sharing violation' when the 2 computers are accessing the same table
at the same time, even for read.

        On the Netware server all the tables are Sharable.
        The users can create, write, read in the tables' directory.
        The network directory for Paradox is Ok.

        So... Someone have an idea ??

        Thank you.

Stephane BONNELL

s-mail: 24 bvd Arago 75015 Paris, France, earth, solar system, milky way...
The generation of random number is too important to be left to chance.

Mon, 16 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi, Paradox and Network

Quote:

>        I have some troubles with Delphi working on Paradox tables across a
>Netware 3.12 File Server.
>        I describe the situation:
>        - 2 computers on a network under Windows 3.1 with Netware extensions
>        - 1 Netware 3.12 server of the network
>        - 1 program which needs to work on the 2 computers at the same time.
>The program was written with Delphi (of course) and is using Paradox
>tables.
>        - Some Paradox tables on the file server.
>        My problem is that the 2 computers cannot use the program at the same
>time or the second computer which start the program is getting
>'Sharing violation' when the 2 computers are accessing the same table
>at the same time, even for read.
>        On the Netware server all the tables are Sharable.
>        The users can create, write, read in the tables' directory.
>        The network directory for Paradox is Ok.

Make sure that the "Local Share" option is turned on in the BDE configuration
of *all* computers which are accessing any shared information; particularly
the file-server on which the data is stored.  Make sure that SHARE.EXE or its
equivalent (in Wfw) is loaded and active.  Make sure that the database is not
being opened in exclusive mode by anyone.

Multi-user access to Paradox tables is fully supported and should work
flawlessly.  Obviously it doesn't ... try these things.

/mr/

Tue, 17 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi, Paradox and Network

Quote:

>>time or the second computer which start the program is getting
>>'Sharing violation' when the 2 computers are accessing the same table
>>at the same time, even for read.

Inside the BDE configuration under the Paradox drivers section, there is
a section called : NetDir.  all of these must point to the same directory
(and subsequently file) for them to access the same .db files.  i.e. for
program A's BDE Net Dir section says c:\ and program B's says d:\ (or
whichever drive is shared on the second computer.

Hope this helps.

Erik Reikes

Wed, 18 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi, Paradox and Network

Quote:

>>>time or the second computer which start the program is getting
>>>'Sharing violation' when the 2 computers are accessing the same table
>>>at the same time, even for read.

>Inside the BDE configuration under the Paradox drivers section, there is
>a section called : NetDir.  all of these must point to the same directory
>(and subsequently file) for them to access the same .db files.  i.e. for
>program A's BDE Net Dir section says c:\ and program B's says d:\ (or
>whichever drive is shared on the second computer.
>Hope this helps.
>Erik Reikes

        Thank you Erik, but My NetDir exist and is well configure. Without
that the BDE tell that 'different PDOXUSRS.NET files are in use' (I'm
not sure of the message since I have the French version :-))

        The problem occurs when the 2 computers try to open the same table at
the same time.
        There is another *.NET file in the table directory and this file is
created by the BDE when the first user is accessing the table. It is
created not Shareable since this is the default in Netware. I might be
wrong but I think the 2 computers try to write at the same time in
this file !!!

Stephane BONNELL

s-mail: 24 bvd Arago 75015 Paris, France, earth, solar system, milky way...
The generation of random number is too important to be left to chance.

Thu, 19 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi, Paradox and Network

Quote:
>>D:\somethng\somethng, even though this may be the way
>>the network is configured.  I changed the NetDir on both
>>computers to be D:\somethng\somethng and file sharing and
>>record locking then work beautifully.  Of course this means that you have to
>>have a computer that has a physical D: drive as WFW will not let you redirect
>>a drive on your own computer.  Either that or the server must be dedicated.
>>I'm not sure if I completly understood but the tech told me that the path is
>>literally copied into the PdoxUsrs.Net file and this is why it must be the
>>same for all computers.  If you have two PdoxUsrs.Net files in the
>>samedirectory you may have two paths.  It would be interesting if someone

It kind of makes creating a packaged small network database app in Delphi(using
Pdox) impossible!!.  Borland needs to fix this ASAP.  A BIG limitation of the
locking features for PDOX.

I wanted to create a small workgroups apps for several users on a workgroup setup,
guess what, NOT with the BDE engine.

Well, I guess I will have to use Access 2.0 via ODBC.

Mon, 30 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi, Paradox and Network

Quote:

>>have a computer that has a physical D: drive as WFW will not let you redirect
>>a drive on your own computer.

        You *can* use SUBST, although at least on the 2 PCs I did this on,
I had to disable the 32-bit file access to allow Windows to start.  :)

Steve

Tue, 31 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Delphi, Paradox and Network

2. Delphi-Paradox-Network Problems

3. Delphi/Paradox/Network problem

4. HELP, Delphi 1.0 and Paradox 5.0 on network

5. Delphi:Network config & delphi.dmt

6. DB4, InstallShield Express, BDE, Paradox on Network Drive?

7. paradox and network

8. Paradox on a Peer to peer network

9. D2 + Paradox very sloooow on P2P network

10. Slow paradox table access on network

11. Paradox tables on peer to peer network

12. BDE, Paradox, Network