Optimizing query time w/lots of cols?
Author Message
 Optimizing query time w/lots of cols?

Dbase5 can have 1024 columns, delphi and Paradox for Windows do not
necessarily imply Paradox table format only.

Sun, 30 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Optimizing query time w/lots of cols?
Our data is in an ascii flat file and is now getting too big (long
access times). Also, I want to start using a "real" database as part
of a move from a desktop to a network environment.

 I'm looking for advice on what database and what scheme to use.

I'm trying Paradox now, but have run into a limit of 255 fields. We
can have up to 2048 and 4096 bytes/record.  At 255 fields and 10,000
records the flat file access is still faster.

Does anybody have a feel for how access times would be if the data
where put into multiply tables of say 10 fields each and a TQuery was
used? A normal scenario would be to access 5-10 fields in 2-3 tables
and have the tables joined on a recnum field. Also, the data would be
read only at this point.

Thanks

Sun, 30 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Read lots of records at the same time from a typed file

2. SQL Queries...Optimize?

3. Optimizing a dynamic query ???

4. rows, cols, and start address of text screen

5. rows, cols, and start address of text screen

6. Text screen size (rows and cols)

7. EGA rows/cols?

8. Defined cols in TDBGrid

9. How to resize TDBGrid cols?