How to connect to Oracle
Author Message
 How to connect to Oracle

I am quite familiar with VB/Oracle programming...but totally new to delphi
Please tell me or point me to documentation/info on Delphi/Oracle
programming....
How does Delphi connect to Oracle ???

Thanks
Jane

Sat, 12 Nov 2005 09:07:49 GMT
 How to connect to Oracle

Quote:

> I am quite familiar with VB/Oracle programming...but totally new to Delphi
> Please tell me or point me to documentation/info on Delphi/Oracle
> programming....
> How does Delphi connect to Oracle ???

I haven't used Oracle, but I would think you can use dbExpress (provided with
Delphi), or ODAC or DOA (commercial 3rd party components, which many seem to
prefer).  See if you find anything interesting on the dbExpress tab in the
Delphi IDE.

--
Aage J.

Sat, 12 Nov 2005 15:11:05 GMT
 How to connect to Oracle
You didn't mention the version of Delphi you're using.  If you have a
version that includes the ADO components, simply use a TADOConnection
object.  You can build the connection string at design time and Delphi will
handle everything for you.  Once you know what the connection string should
look like, you can put it in code so you can change your user id and
password at runtime.  There are a couple of extended attributes you'll need
to set on either the connection or dataset level if you intend to return
resultsets from Oracle stored procedures.

Contact me directly is you have any questions and I'll try to find time to
help out.

Ray Porter
Applications Analyst Programmer
Administrative Information Services, UNC-CH
Phone: (919) 966-5878
Fax: (919) 962-5840

Web: http://www.unc.edu/~dragon

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons
for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup

Quote:

> > I am quite familiar with VB/Oracle programming...but totally new to
Delphi
> > Please tell me or point me to documentation/info on Delphi/Oracle
> > programming....
> > How does Delphi connect to Oracle ???

> I haven't used Oracle, but I would think you can use dbExpress (provided
with
> Delphi), or ODAC or DOA (commercial 3rd party components, which many seem
> prefer).  See if you find anything interesting on the dbExpress tab in the
> Delphi IDE.

> --
> Aage J.

Sat, 12 Nov 2005 21:30:27 GMT
 How to connect to Oracle

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 How to connect to Oracle
Thanks.
Can you suggest me a way to get started in learning Delphi (say the latest v
7) ?

Thanks
jane

Quote:

>You didn't mention the version of Delphi you're using.  If you have a
>version that includes the ADO components, simply use a TADOConnection
>object.  You can build the connection string at design time and Delphi will
>handle everything for you.  Once you know what the connection string should
>look like, you can put it in code so you can change your user id and
>password at runtime.  There are a couple of extended attributes you'll need
>to set on either the connection or dataset level if you intend to return
>resultsets from Oracle stored procedures.

>Contact me directly is you have any questions and I'll try to find time to
>help out.

>--
>Ray Porter
>Applications Analyst Programmer
>Administrative Information Services, UNC-CH
>Phone: (919) 966-5878
>Fax: (919) 962-5840

>Web: http://www.unc.edu/~dragon

>Meddle not in the affairs of dragons
>for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup

>> > I am quite familiar with VB/Oracle programming...but totally new to
>Delphi
>> > Please tell me or point me to documentation/info on Delphi/Oracle
>> > programming....
>> > How does Delphi connect to Oracle ???

>> I haven't used Oracle, but I would think you can use dbExpress (provided
>with
>> Delphi), or ODAC or DOA (commercial 3rd party components, which many seem
>> prefer).  See if you find anything interesting on the dbExpress tab in
the
>> Delphi IDE.

>> --
>> Aage J.

Sun, 13 Nov 2005 06:36:45 GMT
 How to connect to Oracle
: Can you suggest me a way to get started in learning Delphi (say the latest v
: 7) ?

Well, there's lots of resources out there. And you haven't
yet told us if you have Personal, Pro, or Enterprise.

The manuals (you have them in PDF format on the CD, even
if you don't have them printed) and other documentation
files on the CD are useful.

See http://delphi.about.com/ for lots of articles and links,
some especially for beginners.

Also see "Essential Pascal" and "Essential Delphi" at
http://www.marcocantu.com/
--
Rick Carter

Chair,   Paradox/Delphi SIG,   Cincinnati PC Users Group

Tue, 15 Nov 2005 09:05:20 GMT

1. Cannot connect to Oracle server from ReportSmith 3.0

2. Delphi 5 - Connecting to Oracle via Corelab ODAC components

3. Use BDE 5.01 with SequeLink ODBC 4.51 to connect an Oracle 8 database

4. Problem connecting to Oracle under debugger

5. Help, Connecting to ORACLE

6. Problem to connect to Oracle 7.2 on a AIX Server

7. How to FindKey/GoTo Record in TTable Connected to Oracle View

8. ReportSmith connecting to Oracle: ERROR

9. Desperatly connecting to Oracle 7.2

10. How to connect to Oracle 7.1

11. How to connect to Oracle ?

12. I need help connecting Personal Oracle 7.3 to Delphi 3 via ODBC