Paradox or dBase format?
Author Message
 Paradox or dBase format?

This is a question that I can never get an answer to.  And a very common
question at that.  Both DB have thier pro's - but there isn't much
difference.  Delphi should work with both the same.

If you are comfortable using dbase format - stick with it.  I prefer
Paradox tables - this is strictly a personal taste- but delphi 2.0
has a currency datatype which matches Paradox - so that little reason
makes the difference with me.

Bill

Quote:

> Dear all,
>         Delphi is new to me. And I used to programmed FoxPro 2.6 with
> dBase tables format. But once when I started to learn Delphi, it support
> different tables format like Paradox. After reading the specification on
> the Paradox table format, it seems quite powerful to do data checking on
> by the structure of that table.

>         Can anyone share the opinion on which format of table files
> should I use in Delphi to optimize the speed, compatibility,
> convinence...?

>         Any pros and cons in using Paradox files or dBase files?

> --
> Best Regards,
>         Franky.C

> ##++::--..  ..--::++##++::--..  ..--::++##++::--..  ..--::++##++::--..
>  ___                _            ___

> |_| |_|  <___||_|_||_\_\`_. |<_>`___/    Homepage:
>                         <___'                 http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~ssze
> Here is CS Man Game! Harsh!! Tough!!     Pager Number : 71313300 a/c 1313

> ##++::--..  ..--::++##++::--..  ..--::++##++::--..  ..--::++##++::--..

Sun, 30 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Paradox or dBase format?

Quote:

>This is a question that I can never get an answer to.  And a very common
>question at that.  Both DB have thier pro's - but there isn't much
>difference.  Delphi should work with both the same.
>If you are comfortable using dbase format - stick with it.  I prefer
>Paradox tables - this is strictly a personal taste- but Delphi 2.0
>has a currency datatype which matches Paradox - so that little reason
>makes the difference with me.
>Bill

>> Dear all,
>>         Delphi is new to me. And I used to programmed FoxPro 2.6 with
>> dBase tables format. But once when I started to learn Delphi, it support
>> different tables format like Paradox. After reading the specification on
>> the Paradox table format, it seems quite powerful to do data checking on
>> by the structure of that table.

>>         Can anyone share the opinion on which format of table files
>> should I use in Delphi to optimize the speed, compatibility,
>> convinence...?

>>         Any pros and cons in using Paradox files or dBase files?

For what it's worth, I prefer to use Paradox-format tables exclusively.  They
have nice features like validity-checking, referential integrity (sort-of),
strong password-protection, and the fact that they never require packing.
They're also very quick.

I've never found myself in a situation where I wished to use dBase for a
production table.  It's a good "least common denominator" for importing and
exporting stuff, but rather behind the times at this point.

/mr/

Sun, 30 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Paradox or dBase format?

2. Which is better Paradox or DBase Formats

3. DBASE Format or Paradox format

4. Choice of file format: DBase, Paradox, Access, ???

5. DataEaseTable Convert to dBase or Paradox Format?

6. dBase or Paradox format?

7. How to convert from Paradox 5 to Paradox 7 format

8. DBase Date Format

9. dBase -> MS SQL format

10. Q: Which format is best ? dBase or Pdox

11. dbase format

12. Format of dBase III memo files?