DBLookupCombo - Documentation/Am I mad?
Author Message
 DBLookupCombo - Documentation/Am I mad?

Is it only me or is it so well known that no-one bothers to talk about
it ?

DBLookupCombo documentation in the manuals/on-line help doesn't appear
to relate to the component.

For example:

The manual/help refers to the property Value. If I try to access that
property I get an Invalid Identifier error.

However the component DOES have a property Text which I can access.
Unfortunately this is read only and I want to write to it.

OTHER EXAMPLES

The online/offline documentation refers to setting various properties
begining 'Lookup..' (eg LookupSource).

The component doesn't have those but does have properties which appear
to behave in a similar way, beginning List.. (eg ListSource).

Problem seems to be in both D1 & D2.

Any ideas anyone? Have I got a pre production copy ?

--
Tim Stannard -  Ad Hoc Computing, Addlestone, Surrey, UK
                PC Consultancy, Engineering, Training

Fri, 12 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 DBLookupCombo - Documentation/Am I mad?

Tim Stannard wrote in a message appearing on comp.lang.Pascal.delphi.databases:

Quote:
>Is it only me or is it so well known that no-one bothers to talk about
>it ?
>DBLookupCombo documentation in the manuals/on-line help doesn't appear
>to relate to the component.
>For example:
>The manual/help refers to the property Value. If I try to access that
>property I get an Invalid Identifier error.
>However the component DOES have a property Text which I can access.
>Unfortunately this is read only and I want to write to it.

Yup, the HELP's wrong. You can read and write the Value property
of the TField which sources the component, however. OR you could
write this:

  DBLookupComboBox1.DataField.Value := 'stuff';

--

http://www.interpath.com/~kwdavids/

* Real Scientists DO THE MATH.

Sat, 13 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 DBLookupCombo - Documentation/Am I mad?

Quote:
>Tim Stannard wrote in a message appearing on comp.lang.pascal.delphi.databases:

>>DBLookupCombo documentation in the manuals/on-line help doesn't appear
>>to relate to the component.

>Yup, the HELP's wrong.

Thanks Kevin, I'm relieved to hear I'm not mad.

Quote:
> You can read and write the Value property
>of the TField which sources the component, however.

No I can't - I don't have a DataSource and DataField specified!

Basically I'm just trying to use the DBLookupComboBox to select a value
from a table which I will then use in another part of the program - thus
the selected value is NOT going into a table.

(I know I could do it by populating a ComboBox with the contents of a
table, but why write the six or so lines of code required when
DBLookupComboBox does it already!).

Thing is, it all works fine - when I select an item I can access it
using (for example)

anyString := DBLookupComboBox1.Text

but what I cannot do is set the value to a predefined string or ''.

Quote:
>OR you could
>write this:

>  DBLookupComboBox1.DataField.Value := 'stuff';

Just tried it (D2):

    DBLookUpComboBox1.DataField.Value := '';

results in:

    Error:...(32):Record, object or class type required.

It appears from the (not to be trusted) documentation that the property
DataField.Value does not exist - which would make sence as DataField
expects the name of a field listed in the dataset specified by
DataSource.

Anyone any further ideas.
--
Tim Stannard -  Ad Hoc Computing, Addlestone, Surrey, UK
                PC Consultancy, Engineering, Training
                Tel/Fax: 01932 830572  Mob: 0589 918184

Sun, 14 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 DBLookupCombo - Documentation/Am I mad?

I am also having a problem with the dblookupCombo. It seems .style
property := csDropDown or csDropDownList do the same exace function.
The DropDownList should disable the EditBox but it don't...

Any suggestions...

On Mon, 26 Aug 1996 19:59:45 +0100, Tim Stannard

Quote:

>Is it only me or is it so well known that no-one bothers to talk about
>it ?

>DBLookupCombo documentation in the manuals/on-line help doesn't appear
>to relate to the component.

>For example:

>The manual/help refers to the property Value. If I try to access that
>property I get an Invalid Identifier error.

>However the component DOES have a property Text which I can access.
>Unfortunately this is read only and I want to write to it.

>OTHER EXAMPLES

>The online/offline documentation refers to setting various properties
>begining 'Lookup..' (eg LookupSource).

>The component doesn't have those but does have properties which appear
>to behave in a similar way, beginning List.. (eg ListSource).

>Problem seems to be in both D1 & D2.

>Any ideas anyone? Have I got a pre production copy ?

>--
>Tim Stannard -  Ad Hoc Computing, Addlestone, Surrey, UK
>                PC Consultancy, Engineering, Training
>                Tel/Fax: 01932 830572  Mob: 0589 918184

Mon, 15 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 DBLookupCombo - Documentation/Am I mad?

Wardell) you smacked the keyboard repeatedly to write:

Quote:
>I am also having a problem with the dblookupCombo. It seems .style
>property := csDropDown or csDropDownList do the same exace function.
>The DropDownList should disable the EditBox but it don't...

>Any suggestions...

In the OnKeyPress event put the following line:

        Key := #0;

This will effectivly disable the edit control, however, I am not sure
what it will do for the incremental search.

Brien King

Mon, 15 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 DBLookupCombo - Documentation/Am I mad?

Tim Stannard wrote in a message appearing on comp.lang.pascal.delphi.databases:

Quote:
>Thing is, it all works fine - when I select an item I can access it
>using (for example)
>anyString := DBLookupComboBox1.Text
>but what I cannot do is set the value to a predefined string or ''.

I presume this is because the component is somehow inactive because
there's no live datasource hooked to it. You might be able to pick
one of the entries using the ListFieldIndex property (null with -1).

My guess is that you're stuck.

--

http://www.interpath.com/~kwdavids/

Tue, 16 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. TTables or Am I going MAD??

2. Posting code...don't make any body mad :)

3. Properties driving me mad

4. I'M GETTING MAD WITH VALUE PROPERTIE OF DBASE 5 WIN

5. Interbase seems to go mad

6. Quick Report Documentation

7. Interbase documentation

8. Documentation on Free Report

9. Delphi - Lousy Documentation

10. Open Tools API Documentation needed.

11. Documentation for Turbo Pascal 3 - where

12. Is there any other BDE documentation?