Performanceproblems with large paradoxtables
Author Message
 Performanceproblems with large paradoxtables

I am currently working with a multiuser (10 users) system implemented
with several paradox tables on a shared filesystem. When some tables
contains about 30.000 rows I get performanceproblems with response-
times up to 30 seconds for inserting or retrieving a single row. Is
this what I can excpect using BDE (for Delphi1) in a multiuser
environment ? It also seems that other applications developed in C
using the paradox API directly works much faster with larger tables
than the ones I am using. Is there any special tricks I can use to get
the BDE to perform better ? Or maybe some operations I should avoid ?

Best regards    /Georg

--
Name:  Georg Sandholm

Snail: Guide Datakonsult AB, Gustavslundsv. 12, 167 51 Kista, Sweden
Voice: +46 8 6344500, Fax: +46 8 6344600, Cellular:46 708 784797

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Performanceproblems with large paradoxtables

Quote:

> I am currently working with a multiuser (10 users) system implemented
> with several paradox tables on a shared filesystem. When some tables
> contains about 30.000 rows I get performanceproblems with response-
> times up to 30 seconds for inserting or retrieving a single row. Is
> this what I can excpect using BDE (for Delphi1) in a multiuser
> environment ? It also seems that other applications developed in C
> using the paradox API directly works much faster with larger tables
> than the ones I am using. Is there any special tricks I can use to get
> the BDE to perform better ? Or maybe some operations I should avoid ?

> Best regards    /Georg

> --
> Name:  Georg Sandholm

> Snail: Guide Datakonsult AB, Gustavslundsv. 12, 167 51 Kista, Sweden
> Voice: +46 8 6344500, Fax: +46 8 6344600, Cellular:46 708 784797

1. Have you tried performing the same functions with the database on the
same computer as the application?  If it runs significantly faster
locally, then the slowdown may be either a slow network or too much data
flying around.

2. Are you performing selections based on indexed fields?

3. Are you using memo fields, graphic or other BLOB fields?

Good luck!

Alan Cohen
Boston Medical Technologies

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Performanceproblems with large paradoxtables

Quote:

> I am currently working with a multiuser (10 users) system implemented
> with several paradox tables on a shared filesystem. When some tables
> contains about 30.000 rows I get performanceproblems with response-
> times up to 30 seconds for inserting or retrieving a single row. Is
> this what I can excpect using BDE (for Delphi1) in a multiuser
> environment ? It also seems that other applications developed in C
> using the paradox API directly works much faster with larger tables
> than the ones I am using. Is there any special tricks I can use to get
> the BDE to perform better ? Or maybe some operations I should avoid ?

> Best regards    /Georg

> --
> Name:  Georg Sandholm

> Snail: Guide Datakonsult AB, Gustavslundsv. 12, 167 51 Kista, Sweden
> Voice: +46 8 6344500, Fax: +46 8 6344600, Cellular:46 708 784797

Be sure you leave your tables open (active) as opposed to opening and
closing before each access.

Lance
"...Bond reflected that good Americans were fine people and that most
of them seemed to come from Texas."
{*filter*} Royale. Chapter VII

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Large BLOBS

2. Large, fast DB?

3. Largest Number Allowed In TMT Pascal?

4. Help !!! Memo too large

5. Data Segment too large

6. ERROR: PDOXUSRS.NET has grown too large

7. tDBImage, file larger w. smaller images

8. bincancel:11 large binaries:AR592:@@NCM

9. Accessing large tables via Delphi components

10. "lock file has grown too large"

11. MSSQL 6.0 and 6.5 and TDBMEMO field report (Memo too Large)

12. QUERY fetch on LARGE tables