capability not supported
Author Message
 capability not supported

Hi,

I'm having some problems when posting a record to a query with a join. For
example the following query:

SELECT Document.*
FROM Document Document , Task Task
WHERE ( Task.TaskID = Document.TaskID ) AND
( Task.ProjectID = :ProjectIden )

(This query returns all documents from a given project).

When I try to post a record to this query (and all other queries who look
like this), I get a "capability not supported" message. I'm using Access97
tables. Anyone out there who knows the solution?

Thanks,
Daniel.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 capability not supported

: SELECT Document.*
: FROM Document Document , Task Task
: WHERE ( Task.TaskID = Document.TaskID ) AND
: ( Task.ProjectID = :ProjectIden )

: When I try to post a record to this query (and all other queries who look
: like this), I get a "capability not supported" message. I'm using Access97
: tables. Anyone out there who knows the solution?

afaik queries must be requestlive=true to insert new records when using
certain desktop databases (e.g. DBase, Paradox etc). Otherwise it could be
that the Access97 driver of the BDE does not allow inserts to queries in
general (does access97 allow inserts to queries?).

stefan

Toleranz ist das unbehagliche Gefuehl,
der Andere koennte am Ende vielleicht
doch recht haben.
                        Robert Forst

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 capability not supported

Quote:

>: SELECT Document.*
>: FROM Document Document , Task Task
>: WHERE ( Task.TaskID = Document.TaskID ) AND
>: ( Task.ProjectID = :ProjectIden )

>: When I try to post a record to this query (and all other queries who look
>: like this), I get a "capability not supported" message. I'm using
Access97
>: tables. Anyone out there who knows the solution?

>afaik queries must be requestlive=true to insert new records when using
>certain desktop databases (e.g. DBase, Paradox etc). Otherwise it could be
>that the Access97 driver of the BDE does not allow inserts to queries in
>general (does access97 allow inserts to queries?).

It seems I must use a TUpdateSQL component (i'm using Delphi3). It works
fine in a two-tier application I've created. But this project is 3-tier and
it seems the TUpdateSQL component in the application server isn't used at
all (i'm still getting the same error).

anyone?

Daniel.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 capability not supported
Daniel,

Firstly, your query syntax is making the result set read-only.  Requestlive
maybe true, but check "CanModify".

I'm guessing that there is a one to many relationship between documents and
tasks and that there is also a "Projects" table somewhere??

If the above is true, then I don't think your original query will produce
the results you state ("query returns all documents for a given project").
I think this will produce correct result set :-

SELECT * FROM Document
WHERE TaskID in (
SELECT Distinct TaskID FROM Task
WHERE ProjectIden = :ProjectIden
);

It may also make query's result set editable.

HTH

Stu.

Quote:
> Hi,

> I'm having some problems when posting a record to a query with a join.
For
> example the following query:

> SELECT Document.*
> FROM Document Document , Task Task
> WHERE ( Task.TaskID = Document.TaskID ) AND
> ( Task.ProjectID = :ProjectIden )

> (This query returns all documents from a given project).

> When I try to post a record to this query (and all other queries who look
> like this), I get a "capability not supported" message. I'm using
Access97
> tables. Anyone out there who knows the solution?

> Thanks,
> Daniel.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Capability Not supported.....why not?

2. Error: 'Capability not supported'

3. Capability Not Supported, Delphi 4, Oracle 8

4. Capability Not Supported Error

5. capability not supported

6. Capability not supported - runtime only???

7. capability not supported

8. SQL capability not supported

9. BDE: Capability not supported token: NESTED SELECT (when using Paradox files, works with Interbase)

10. A Query and Capability not supported error

11. Q:Posting changes within a transaction (Capability not Supported)

12. sql capability not supported error