BDE w/alias and Installshield prompts for login
Author Message
 BDE w/alias and Installshield prompts for login

     Please help me solve this frustrating problem. I have a simple wine
inventory database that I want to send to a fellow wine lover. All
ttable and tquery access in the project use a BDE alias and the alias
resolves to Paradox tables. Their are no passwords on the system it was
built on.
     This is my first experience with the Installshield express packaged
with delphi Pro v6. The application builds without errors or warnings
and installs on a test system fine. Researching online help has not been
helpful.
     When executing the application a database login appears as shown at
the end. The alias is correct, but the user is new to me. So far, I have
no success in getting past this login. What can I enter here or where on
the target system can I specify info that will get me past this dialog?

mock up of dialog box
----------------------
   Database:  wine

user name:  MYNAME
password:
----------------------

Thanks anyone for a quick response. My friend asked me for this almost a
year ago!

Thu, 15 Dec 2005 09:40:32 GMT
 BDE w/alias and Installshield prompts for login

Quote:

> Please help me solve this frustrating problem. I have a simple wine
> inventory database that I want to send to a fellow wine lover. All
> ttable and tquery access in the project use a BDE alias and the alias
> resolves to Paradox tables. Their are no passwords on the system it was
> built on.
>      This is my first experience with the Installshield express packaged
> with Delphi Pro v6. The application builds without errors or warnings
> and installs on a test system fine. Researching online help has not been
> helpful.
>      When executing the application a database login appears as shown at
> the end. The alias is correct, but the user is new to me. So far, I have
> no success in getting past this login. What can I enter here or where on
> the target system can I specify info that will get me past this dialog?

> mock up of dialog box
> ----------------------
>    Database:  wine

> user name:  MYNAME
> password:
> ----------------------

> Thanks anyone for a quick response. My friend asked me for this almost a
> year ago!

Well then we have a year to get back to him, don't give him any
surprises :-)

Just a guess - do you have a TDatabase in your datamodule and have you
set the login prompt to False AND are you specifying STANDARD as the
database DriverName?  These two things should eliminate the login
prompt.

HTH,

John

Thu, 15 Dec 2005 22:57:38 GMT
 BDE w/alias and Installshield prompts for login
You will have to excuse me, John. I am quite new at this.
This application is pretty basic. No datamodule that I am aware of. Only
tdatasources and ttables.
        The opening form where the prompt appears, before the form is drawn
does no data access on it's own. It merely hands off to next level
modules that mainly use tbrowses. On the development system there is no
login prompting and the BDE administrator seems to have no passwords.
        It seems like this is something in the Installshield Express BDE merge
modules, but I am drawing a blank in finding what/where.
Thanks for your comment.
Jeff

>>Please help me solve this frustrating problem. I have a simple wine
>>inventory database that I want to send to a fellow wine lover. All
>>ttable and tquery access in the project use a BDE alias and the alias
>>resolves to Paradox tables. Their are no passwords on the system it was
>>built on.
>>     This is my first experience with the Installshield express packaged
>>with Delphi Pro v6. The application builds without errors or warnings
>>and installs on a test system fine. Researching online help has not been
>>helpful.
>>     When executing the application a database login appears as shown at
>>the end. The alias is correct, but the user is new to me. So far, I have
>>no success in getting past this login. What can I enter here or where on
>>the target system can I specify info that will get me past this dialog?

>>mock up of dialog box
>>----------------------
>>   Database:  wine

>>user name:  MYNAME
>>password:
>>----------------------

>>Thanks anyone for a quick response. My friend asked me for this almost a
>>year ago!

> Well then we have a year to get back to him, don't give him any
> surprises :-)

> Just a guess - do you have a TDatabase in your datamodule and have you
> set the login prompt to False AND are you specifying STANDARD as the
> database DriverName?  These two things should eliminate the login
> prompt.

> HTH,

> John

Sun, 18 Dec 2005 10:02:22 GMT
 BDE w/alias and Installshield prompts for login

Quote:

<snip>
> >>     When executing the application a database login appears as shown at
> >>the end. The alias is correct, but the user is new to me. So far, I have
<snip>
> >>mock up of dialog box
> >>----------------------
> >>   Database:  wine

> >>user name:  MYNAME
> >>password:
> >>----------------------

> > Just a guess - do you have a TDatabase in your datamodule and have you
> > set the login prompt to False AND are you specifying STANDARD as the
> > database DriverName?  These two things should eliminate the login
> > prompt.

> You will have to excuse me, John. I am quite new at this.
> This application is pretty basic. No datamodule that I am aware of. Only
> tdatasources and ttables.
>    The opening form where the prompt appears, before the form is drawn
> does no data access on it's own. It merely hands off to next level
> modules that mainly use tbrowses. On the development system there is no
> login prompting and the BDE administrator seems to have no passwords.
>    It seems like this is something in the Installshield Express BDE merge
> modules, but I am drawing a blank in finding what/where.
> Thanks for your comment.
> Jeff

Hi Jeff,

First a little note on posting style - although M$ Apps tend to
top-post by default, it is much easier to understand the thread if you
bottom post or in-line post.  I had to un-mangle the thread to produce
this.

Then your TTables are on your forms, which is okay on a simple app,
but generally it is much easier to control/view things if you use a
datamodule.  I suggest you use a TDatabase component on your forms
then and set the appropriate properties.  Also, if you use a TDatabase
component you do not need to use and set up an Alias on the client
machine:

Drop the TDatabase on your form, then double-click it:
in the Name field use a new Alias like name

Mon, 19 Dec 2005 00:17:20 GMT
 BDE w/alias and Installshield prompts for login

Quote:
> <snip>
> <snip>

> > > Just a guess - do you have a TDatabase in your datamodule and have you
> > > set the login prompt to False AND are you specifying STANDARD as the
> > > database DriverName?  These two things should eliminate the login
> > > prompt.

> > You will have to excuse me, John. I am quite new at this.
> > This application is pretty basic. No datamodule that I am aware of. Only
> > tdatasources and ttables.
> > The opening form where the prompt appears, before the form is drawn
> > does no data access on it's own. It merely hands off to next level
> > modules that mainly use tbrowses. On the development system there is no
> > login prompting and the BDE administrator seems to have no passwords.
> > It seems like this is something in the Installshield Express BDE merge
> > modules, but I am drawing a blank in finding what/where.
> > Thanks for your comment.
> > Jeff

> Hi Jeff,

> First a little note on posting style - although M$ Apps tend to
> top-post by default, it is much easier to understand the thread if you
> bottom post or in-line post.  I had to un-mangle the thread to produce
> this.

> Then your TTables are on your forms, which is okay on a simple app,
> but generally it is much easier to control/view things if you use a
> datamodule.  I suggest you use a TDatabase component on your forms
> then and set the appropriate properties.  Also, if you use a TDatabase
> component you do not need to use and set up an Alias on the client
> machine:

> Drop the TDatabase on your form, then double-click it:
> in the Name field use a new Alias like

<OOPS hit the wrong button and sent this incomplete message, so to
continue---sorry>
dbWine.  Leave the Alias blank, select STANDARD as the driver name.
In the parameter overrides do something like this:

PATH=C:\WineData
DEFAULT DRIVER=PARADOX
ENABLE BCD=FALSE

(the PATH above is where your tables live.  InstallShield will create the
directory for you, as I am assuming you are sending your tables with the
program.)
Uncheck the login prompt, and check the keep active connection, then click
OK.  In the object inspector change the name to something like dbWineData.

On your TTables you will need to set the DatabaseName to what you put in the
Name Field.  On other forms you will need to add the form to your uses list
before you can set the DatabaseName for their TTables.

This way you need not set an Alias in BDE Administrator or in InstallShield.

HTH,

John

Mon, 19 Dec 2005 01:02:26 GMT

1. InstallShield won't create BDE aliases

2. Installshield and BDE aliases

3. myODBC login prompt

4. Getting around MS Access login prompt - how?

5. Getting rid of database login prompt

6. DB login prompt

7. dynamically created session and database : cannot avoid login prompt - fine with default session

8. Opening an Access table without the login prompt (D4)

9. Getting rid of ReportSmith login prompt

10. Suppressing login prompt on tQuery.Open

11. Native Access LogIn Prompt

12. Opening Access 95 Table Without Login Prompt (D3)