Delphi & BDE & AS/400
Author Message
 Delphi & BDE & AS/400

Is there anyone out there who has sucessfully connected an AS/400 to
delphi using the BDE?

We have had limited sucess, but...

Please, e-mail me or post to this newsgroup.

Thanx,
Garrett P. Dangerfield (danger)

Sat, 29 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi & BDE & AS/400

Has anyone out there sucessfully connected Delphi 1.0 or 2.0 to an
AS/400 SQL database via the BDE?

We are having some limited sucess, but...

Would love to hear that it has been done before.

Thanx,
Garrett P. Dangerfield.

Sat, 29 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi & BDE & AS/400

On Tue, 10 Dec 1996 14:01:39 -0800, "Garrett P. Dangerfield"

Quote:

>Has anyone out there sucessfully connected Delphi 1.0 or 2.0 to an
>AS/400 SQL database via the BDE?

>We are having some limited sucess, but...

>Would love to hear that it has been done before.

>Thanx,
>Garrett P. Dangerfield.

not sure quite what you mean - you mean using ODBC or what?
Max Young

Sun, 30 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi & BDE & AS/400

Original question:

Yes, the layers are as follows:

Quote:
> >Has anyone out there sucessfully connected Delphi 1.0 or 2.0 to an
> >AS/400 SQL database via the BDE?

> >We are having some limited sucess, but...

> >Would love to hear that it has been done before.

AS/400 | SQL | ODBC | BDE | Delphi

We are interested in both a Delphi 1.0 and a Delphi 2.0 solution.
Obviously looking forward to the Delphi 2.0 solution.

Thanx,
Garrett P. Dangerfield

Sun, 30 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi & BDE & AS/400

Quote:

>Has anyone out there sucessfully connected Delphi 1.0 or 2.0 to an
>AS/400 SQL database via the BDE?

>We are having some limited sucess, but...

>Would love to hear that it has been done before.

Garrett,

We have been using ODBC, and still can't get it to work with Delphi
(SQLGetDataBaseError).  Works fine with Access, but it's a performance pig
(appr 4 rows per second on a good day).

I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that either the AS/400 gets
upgraded ($$$$$$$$$$$), or the plug gets pulled and something else goes in
it's place.

I have heard that Client Access has a decent ODBC driver, but haven't had
the chance to look at it because we are running V2R3.

Good Luck,

Dave

Mon, 31 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi & BDE & AS/400

We use Client Access to connect to the AS400. That's all I know. I don't
have any technical details for you.

Rob

Quote:
> Has anyone out there sucessfully connected Delphi 1.0 or 2.0 to an
> AS/400 SQL database via the BDE?

Mon, 31 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi & BDE & AS/400

Quote:

> Has anyone out there sucessfully connected Delphi 1.0 or 2.0 to an
> AS/400 SQL database via the BDE?

> We are having some limited sucess, but...

> Would love to hear that it has been done before.

> Thanx,
> Garrett P. Dangerfield.

DITTO

I am starting a similiar project were connecting to an AS/400 database
is needed. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Mon, 31 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi & BDE & AS/400

We use Client Server Toolowrks DDA/400 (http://www.cstool.com) and it kicks
ass.  It has a code generator that builds the AS400 obkect for you based
around the file on the AS400 that you need to get data from.  It will also
let you pass commands to the 400 as well.  So far, I am very pleased with
this product.  It cost us about $2500 which was extremely reasonable when
looking at the other alternatatives.  If you decide to purchase, please
tell them that you were referred by me.

Thank You,

Jason Jones

Quote:
> Has anyone out there sucessfully connected Delphi 1.0 or 2.0 to an
> AS/400 SQL database via the BDE?

> We are having some limited sucess, but...

> Would love to hear that it has been done before.

> Thanx,
> Garrett P. Dangerfield.

Tue, 01 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi & BDE & AS/400

On Wed, 11 Dec 1996 08:31:03 -0800, "Garrett P. Dangerfield"

Quote:

>Original question:

>Yes, the layers are as follows:
>> >Has anyone out there sucessfully connected Delphi 1.0 or 2.0 to an
>> >AS/400 SQL database via the BDE?

>> >We are having some limited sucess, but...

>> >Would love to hear that it has been done before.

>AS/400 | SQL | ODBC | BDE | Delphi

>We are interested in both a Delphi 1.0 and a Delphi 2.0 solution.
>Obviously looking forward to the Delphi 2.0 solution.

>Thanx,
>Garrett P. Dangerfield

Well, yes we have connected:

We use Client Access '95 ODBC driver to connect Delphi 2 to the
As/400.
It works. it aint fast, but it works fine.
We have briefly also looked at the following...

Netsoft ODBC - worked, seemed faster, but occasional crashes &
unexplained errors (we didn't have the time to follow it up, we were
still having too many problems with Client Access '95)

CO/400 - a number of native AS/400 components. Means your code is far
less portable (you can't suddenly decide to move data from the /400 to
your network server, for example) but seemed very quick. Unfortunately
our 30 day trial period ran out, and the latest version crashes when
we try to enter the registration key - hope to be looking again in a
few days...

LightLib/400 - we beta tested this - it looked promising (then, so did
OS/2!!!) but it took us 4 beta releases just to get it to install
successfully!!! We installed the release version recently -
unfortunately it still isn't working properly with our setup. It
certainly seems quick, but doesn't work with TQuery components, only
TTable - we're waiting on a reply from them to help us out.

Also, we understand that SQL Links may have a driver for DB2/400.
Actually Delphi Developer 2.01 was meant to - it actually had 16 bit
DB/2 drivers which didn't appear to work anyway.
I am under a NDA so can't say much about it - perhaps, as I am still
investigating other solutions, you can read between the lines :)

Max

Tue, 01 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi & BDE & AS/400

Hi Scott,

Quote:
>I am starting a similiar project were connecting to an AS/400 database
>is needed. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

As well as using an ODBC driver to connect the BDE to the AS/400,
Borland now has a DB/2 driver in their SQL Links product. In theory,
this should give you good performance, but I haven't been able to find
anyone who's actually used it yet.

John

Sat, 05 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi & BDE & AS/400

Quote:

> >Has anyone out there sucessfully connected Delphi 1.0 or 2.0 to an
> >AS/400 SQL database via the BDE?
> We have been using ODBC, and still can't get it to work with Delphi
> (SQLGetDataBaseError).  Works fine with Access, but it's a performance
pig
> (appr 4 rows per second on a good day).

I have been able to successfully connect to AS400 with Attachmate's QuickDB
(DB2/400 only) and the ODBC driver that comes with Rally! from Attachmate
(not db2/400 specific.  Both work with V2R3.  Used both Access and Delphi,
but found the Prepareing a query was a big mistake.

Hope this helps!

Dave Hickey

Sat, 19 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Delphi & AS/400

2. Delphi & AS/400

3. Programming the AS/400 (Delphi/400 vs LightLib/400 (EasyCom)

4. Printing with Epson Stylus 400 & error 160

5. CA/400 & DB2 ODBC Driver

6. #&%*$&*EDbEngineError#&%*$&*

7. AS/400, anyone used Delphi to access DB2/400

8. Client Access/400 ODBC and Long VARCHAR fields with Delphi and BDE 3.5

9. .&.&.& need help about an SQL query &&&

10. Delphi 3 & BDE

11. Delphi 3 & BDE 4

12. Delphi & Paradox BDE help