MS-SQL server 6.5 vs Interbase server ???
Author Message
 MS-SQL server 6.5 vs Interbase server ???

Hi, We are trying to whether to go with MS-SQL server 6.5 or the
latest Interbase server.  We have made the decision to go with MS-SQL
server.  Are there any advantages of using Interbase instead.
Assuming the difference in price between the two does not matter, is
MS-SQL server a better package to go with?

thanks for any help.

Tue, 23 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 MS-SQL server 6.5 vs Interbase server ???

Quote:

> Hi, We are trying to whether to go with MS-SQL server 6.5 or the
> latest Interbase server.  is
> MS-SQL server a better package to go with?

        YES

Thu, 25 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 MS-SQL server 6.5 vs Interbase server ???

Quote:

> Hi, We are trying to whether to go with MS-SQL server 6.5 or the
> latest Interbase server.  We have made the decision to go with MS-SQL
> server.  Are there any advantages of using Interbase instead.
> Assuming the difference in price between the two does not matter, is
> MS-SQL server a better package to go with?

MS-SQL is quite a lot more advanced than Interbase, but I know Interbase only
from the version that came with Delphi Developer.

MS-SQL has much more features, is server extendible, is more managable (seen
the enterprise manager?), its I/SQL is lots better, and so on.

But Delphi's interface with MS-SQL is quite bad compared with Interbase. For
example transactions started from the client do not work (except in some
cases) if you use ODBC.

I had no luck getting the native driver for MS-SQL to work, but hopefully
Borland is able to figure out what's wrong with me (and other people who
reported the same problem).

--
Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

compuserve: 100120,3121

Fri, 26 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 MS-SQL server 6.5 vs Interbase server ???

Hi Azhar,

Quote:

> Hi, We are trying to whether to go with MS-SQL server 6.5 or the
> latest Interbase server.  We have made the decision to go with MS-SQL
> server.  Are there any advantages of using Interbase instead.
> Assuming the difference in price between the two does not matter, is
> MS-SQL server a better package to go with?

We've found that the administration and remote management tools for SQL
Server are outstanding.  The database is also amongst the fastest we've
tested: SQL Server got a 12.3tps vs Oracle 7.2/NT with 6.5tps vs DB2/NT
with 4.3tps.
The benchmark was a TPCC test - unfortunately we didn't test Interbase,
but it would have to cruise to beat SQL Server.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Rob

check out http://www.adam.co.za for the fastest connection between
Delphi and SQL Server!!!
--
Rob McGillivray
Manager: Client/server Software Development

Fri, 26 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 MS-SQL server 6.5 vs Interbase server ???

Quote:
> Hi Azhar,

> > Hi, We are trying to whether to go with MS-SQL server 6.5 or the
> > latest Interbase server.  We have made the decision to go with MS-SQL
> > server.  Are there any advantages of using Interbase instead.
> > Assuming the difference in price between the two does not matter, is
> > MS-SQL server a better package to go with?

> We've found that the administration and remote management tools for SQL
> Server are outstanding.  The database is also amongst the fastest we've
> tested: SQL Server got a 12.3tps vs Oracle 7.2/NT with 6.5tps vs DB2/NT
> with 4.3tps.
> The benchmark was a TPCC test - unfortunately we didn't test Interbase,
> but it would have to cruise to beat SQL Server.

> Hope this helps!

Actually my tests showed DB2/NT a consistent 15-35% faster than
sqlServer, depending on the configuration. Were you using the DB2/NT
beta?

Mike

Sat, 27 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 MS-SQL server 6.5 vs Interbase server ???

Quote:
> > Hi, We are trying to whether to go with MS-SQL server 6.5 or the
> > latest Interbase server.  We have made the decision to go with MS-SQL
> > server.  Are there any advantages of using Interbase instead.
> > Assuming the difference in price between the two does not matter, is
> > MS-SQL server a better package to go with?
> But Delphi's interface with MS-SQL is quite bad compared with Interbase.
For
> example transactions started from the client do not work (except in some
> cases) if you use ODBC.
> I had no luck getting the native driver for MS-SQL to work, but hopefully
> Borland is able to figure out what's wrong with me (and other people who
> reported the same problem).

Hi guys.

I'm sure Borland have their regrets about the BDE.  They came up with it,
and now they are stuck with it and many people are using it.  But many
people like you are crying out for easy, seemless, fast database access to
the industrial strength databases such as MS SQLServer.

We are using Delphi 1 and Delphi 2 against MS SQLServer without the BDE.
"How did you get that right?" you ask ....

"ODBCExpress"

ODBCExpress access ODBC directly via easy to use components.  If you need
to dive deeper into ODBC, you have the entire ODBC API wrapped for you too!
 The components
compile into your app with no messy Dlls, deploy files or configuration
issues.

The results:  Blinding performance!

But don't take my word for it, watch the Delphi database newsgroups on
compuserve and internet and see that others are talking about it too.

Our web site is at http://www.adam.co.za.

Roger Weiss
DataSoft.

Mon, 29 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 MS-SQL server 6.5 vs Interbase server ???

Hi Mike,

Quote:

> Actually my tests showed DB2/NT a consistent 15-35% faster than
> sqlServer, depending on the configuration. Were you using the DB2/NT
> beta?

Our configuration was stock-standard and we were running the real thing.

What kind of 'configuration' settings were you changing to achieve such
good results??

Regards,

Rob
--
Rob McGillivray
Manager: Client/server Software Development
DataSoft - "Voted Top Development House in South Africa - 1994"

Thu, 01 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Borland Interbase Server vs MS SQL Server

2. SQL Databases - MS Sql Server 7 vs. Interbase

3. SQL Server 6.5: Native driver vs. ODBC

4. SQL Server 6.5 vs DELPHI (DBGrid)

5. Interbase vs MS SQL Server ?????

6. Server Cursors SQL Server 6.5

7. Hang up when using D1 + ODBC + MS SQL Server 6.5

8. Creating a database with MS SQL Server 6.5

9. Image Datatype on a MS-SQL 6.5 Server

10. Delphi 1 Desktop/MS SQL Server 6/6.5

11. No Tables in MS Sql Server 6.5

12. MS SQL Server 6.5 + Delphi 3.0 = ???