BDE doing things it shouldn't
Author Message
 BDE doing things it shouldn't

I'm using delphi 3 and Interbase 4.2 and have found that the BDE is
doing some some strange things with my tables. The database structure is
fairly complex and at some points I need to have 30-40 tables open at
once. When I do a simple update to one table, I notice it takes longer
than it should. After monitoring the situation with SQL Monitor in
Delphi, I noticed that the BDE is updating the modified table correctly,
but then proceeds to refresh almost every open table in the database!
Where the simple update should only take a few lines in the SQL Monitor,
it ends up taking about 30 thousand! As you could guess this slows down
immensely over a network.
I found if I manually close a few tables before the 'Post', then it
doesn't touch them. Is it because I have so many tables open? I thought
the BDE should be able to handle this. If anyone can help or has
experienced something like this before, I would appreciate the help.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 BDE doing things it shouldn't

Quote:
> I'm using Delphi 3 and Interbase 4.2 and have found that the BDE is
> doing some some strange things with my tables. The database structure is
> fairly complex and at some points I need to have 30-40 tables open at
> once. When I do a simple update to one table, I notice it takes longer
> than it should. After monitoring the situation with SQL Monitor in
> Delphi, I noticed that the BDE is updating the modified table correctly,
> but then proceeds to refresh almost every open table in the database!
> doesn't touch them. Is it because I have so many tables open? I thought
> the BDE should be able to handle this. If anyone can help or has
> experienced something like this before, I would appreciate the help.

From past experience with both Oracle and Interbase, I have found and
recommend using stored procedures to do your inserts, updates and deletes.
Use queries only to retrieve datasets from tables and views. Use views as
the basis of reports whenever possible since a join of two tables into a
view can, if done right, make your report writing easier and faster.  A
stored procedures can be used by several windows for related updates and
can be put into triggers to cascade things such as a series of deletes to
be carried out on related tables.   An added note about the Delphi table
component.  It amazes me to hear that people are still doing table1.open in
FormCreate when the dataset they are caching has some 10,000 records.
Don't their customers have anything better to do than to wait 10 minutes
for a window to open?

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 BDE doing things it shouldn't
Quote:
>component.  It amazes me to hear that people are still doing table1.open in
>FormCreate when the dataset they are caching has some 10,000 records.
>Don't their customers have anything better to do than to wait 10 minutes
>for a window to open?

For a newbie, could you please tell (in detail) the better way to do this???

Peggy

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Question: Doing two things at once?

2. Question: Doing two things at once?

3. Why shouldn't I use Gupta?

4. tpu's, source, etc for any thing please

5. Installed Delphi 2.01 and Interbase Server, now things don't work so well

6. Any good reasons why we shouldn't use the BDE?

7. What are Y'all doing with Delphi ?

8. TStringList - I'm doing something wrong here - HELP

9. Doing other people's homework

10. D3/BDE multi-threaded apps : Anyone done it ?

11. Doing ODBC without BDE: Anyone Interested???

12. BDE Alias's and new installs of the BDE