Master-Detail Relationship problem 
Author Message
 Master-Detail Relationship problem

after establishing a master-detail relationship between 2 TTables,
how to ensure that any changes made to the join field in 1 TTable
can be automatically updated in the other TTable ?

TIA.

Kenny



Mon, 02 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Master-Detail Relationship problem

Quote:

>after establishing a master-detail relationship between 2 TTables,
>how to ensure that any changes made to the join field in 1 TTable
>can be automatically updated in the other TTable ?

Set up referential integrity between the tables. How you do it
depends on the type of tables involved.

--
Donald Oddy
Grove Systems Ltd.                                    0161-224 4465



Thu, 05 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Master-Detail Relationship problem
In comp.lang.Pascal.delphi.databases "Donald R. Oddy"

Quote:

>>after establishing a master-detail relationship between 2 TTables,
>>how to ensure that any changes made to the join field in 1 TTable
>>can be automatically updated in the other TTable ?

>Set up referential integrity between the tables. How you do it depends on
the  
>type of tables involved.

Does this work automatically??
While the DBMS is not running???
Does the BDE dll take care of both table updates?

Thanks
-Peter
--
--  
                        ||!!!!!!!
                      /         \

----------------oOOo---(_)---oOOo------------------------Peter Laska



Fri, 13 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Master-Detail Relationship problem
I have two tables.  One with index on a key field
The other table with an index on a keyfield + another field.

file1.ordernum = file2.ordernum+def+...

Delphi does not recognize this as a valid relationship--where as
Clipper/Vo/Foxpro/Dbase all do.??? Can anyone help?

New to Delphi, but very interested.
Wmr



Sun, 15 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Master-Detail Relationship problem
Let me guess, are you using dBASE tables? If so, you are screwed. You
cannot get detail records in a 1->M relationship to sort in any order
other than there natural order, due to the way dBASE indexes work. If you
use the compound index in the detail, you will lose the link, (as there is
no way to tell Delphi to "SET EXACT OFF". If you use a Paradox table,
however, it doesn't lose the link, and your life improves...
Brad Miller



Sat, 21 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Master-Detail Relationship problem

Quote:
>Let me guess, are you using dBASE tables? If so, you are screwed. You
>cannot get detail records in a 1->M relationship to sort in any order
>other than there natural order, due to the way dBASE indexes work. If you
>use the compound index in the detail, you will lose the link, (as there
is
>no way to tell Delphi to "SET EXACT OFF". If you use a Paradox table,
>however, it doesn't lose the link, and your life improves...

Which is the most efficient table?  I was never a Paradox fan. I am
thinking about 3rd party add on to use the Foxpro CDX's.


Sat, 21 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Master-Detail Relationship problem


Quote:
>In comp.lang.pascal.delphi.databases "Donald R. Oddy"


>>>after establishing a master-detail relationship between 2 TTables,
>>>how to ensure that any changes made to the join field in 1 TTable
>>>can be automatically updated in the other TTable ?

>>Set up referential integrity between the tables. How you do it depends on
>the type of tables involved.

>Does this work automatically??

Yes

Quote:
>While the DBMS is not running???

I cannot see how you could change a database when the DBMS is
not running.

Quote:
>Does the BDE dll take care of both table updates?

Yes

--
Donald Oddy
Grove Systems Ltd.                                    0161-224 4465



Tue, 24 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Master-Detail Relationship problem

Quote:

>>Let me guess, are you using dBASE tables? If so, you are screwed. You
>>cannot get detail records in a 1->M relationship to sort in any order
>>other than there natural order, due to the way dBASE indexes work. If
you
>>use the compound index in the detail, you will lose the link, (as there
>is
>>no way to tell Delphi to "SET EXACT OFF". If you use a Paradox table,
>>however, it doesn't lose the link, and your life improves...

>Which is the most efficient table?  I was never a Paradox fan. I am
>thinking about 3rd party add on to use the Foxpro CDX's.

Well, what's your definition of efficient?  If you mean more capable, or
easier to manipulate, then Paradox tables are, absolutely.

Todd
--
=======================================================

"His mind is somewhat too much taken up with his mind." - John Earle
=======================================================



Wed, 25 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 11 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Master/Detail relationship problem

2. Different detail Index order within master-detail relationship

3. Master/detail table relationship problems

4. MASTER/DETAIL relationship

5. Auto Increment Fields and Master Details Relationship

6. Q: Master-Detail relationship using DBase records

7. DBGrid master/detail relationship?

8. Error using master/detail relationship?

9. Master-detail Relationship

10. why wont this master/detail relationship work?

11. Delphi 2.0 -> 3.0 Master Detailed Relationships

12. Master-Detail Relationship

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software