Delphi Learning Curve
Author Message
 Delphi Learning Curve

I thinking of purchasing Dephi mostly for database applications, but also
non-database.  I've been watching this group for a while and have not seen
anything on Delphi's learning curve.

Are any of you ex-MS Access users that have switched to Delphi?  If so, was
the learning curve very long switching from Access Basic to delphi Pascal?

Understanding that Delphi is more of a general purpose programming language,
does it offer any specific advantages for database applications?

Thanks in advance,

__
Remo Pennacchioli
AT&T Global Information Solutions, Imaging Systems
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Opinions are my own & not on behalf of AT&T
__

Fri, 03 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi Learning Curve

Quote:

>I thinking of purchasing Dephi mostly for database applications, but also
>non-database.  I've been watching this group for a while and have not seen
>anything on Delphi's learning curve.
>Are any of you ex-MS Access users that have switched to Delphi?  If so, was
>the learning curve very long switching from Access Basic to Delphi Pascal?

I have recently made this transition myself, and although I had
written a lot in Turbo Pascal I did not have any previous experience
with Delphi or general Windows programming outside of Access and VB.
The learning curve was a little steeper than I had anticipated, though
not really that difficult.  Probably my biggest hurdle was determining
what Events to use in Delphi to accomplish what I want.  Delphi's
events are different than Access uses, and personally I like Access
better in this respect.  I also needed to download or purchase quite a
number of extra components to develop the kind of quality in my
database application that I was used to in Access.  Examples include a
reporting capability that isn't a slow, resource hogging add-on pig, a
"Quicken" style fill-in combo box (which is easy to do in Access), and
more flexible data and table controls.  Not only is Delphi a great
product, though, but third party support and components are excellent.

Quote:
>Understanding that Delphi is more of a general purpose programming language,
>does it offer any specific advantages for database applications?

I just wrote a rather lengthy reponse in a previous thread in this
group (Access vs Delphi) so, rather than rewrite it, perhaps I could
just mention it here.

Best wishes,
Phil

Thu, 09 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi Learning Curve

Quote:
>I thinking of purchasing Dephi mostly for database applications, but also
>non-database.  I've been watching this group for a while and have not seen
>anything on Delphi's learning curve.

>Are any of you ex-MS Access users that have switched to Delphi?  If so, was
>the learning curve very long switching from Access Basic to Delphi Pascal?

>Understanding that Delphi is more of a general purpose programming language,
>does it offer any specific advantages for database applications?

Delphi's learning curve depends on where you are coming from. From
Access you will be familiar with OO programming but will have a few
problems with Pascal syntax. The learning curve is gradual in the
sense that you can start producing applications quickly but it is
long because of the vast amount there is to learn before you know
it all.

The advantages of Delphi for database programming are mainly in
performance and a compiled .EXE file but the ability to build your
own objects means you are not restricted to theose provided.

--
Donald Oddy
Grove Systems Ltd.                                    0161-224 4465

Thu, 09 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi Learning Curve

Quote:

>I thinking of purchasing Dephi mostly for database applications, but also
>non-database.  I've been watching this group for a while and have not seen
>anything on Delphi's learning curve.

If you know PASCAL, then using Delphi is a snap. The GUI design is more
intuitive than anything I've seen (and I've looked...), and the object
extensions in the language are a joy to use.

Quote:
>Are any of you ex-MS Access users that have switched to Delphi?  If so, was
>the learning curve very long switching from Access Basic to Delphi Pascal?

The interfaces are VERY similar. Delphi's superiority is inhernt because of
it's guts... language, compiler, exe size & speed etc.

Quote:
>Understanding that Delphi is more of a general purpose programming language,
>does it offer any specific advantages for database applications?

Actually, I'd say that Delphi is INTENDED primarily as a databse product (SQL,
CLIENT/SERVER on the box...)
Ease of data-use is great. I've been usnig FOXPRO on the job, and have long
despised it's clumsy language, lousy event-model, and the fact thet Fox is
(still crazy, after all these years...) still full of bugs. Visual Foxpro is
not worth a damn as a modern replacement, either. IMHO MS is just looting the
corpse of Fox's diehard supporters. (It was great at one time!)

Can't speak for the MS-Access guys. Any Foxguys but myself, either, I guess.

Sat, 11 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi Learning Curve

Quote:

>I also needed to download or purchase quite a
>number of extra components to develop the kind of quality in my
>database application that I was used to in Access.  Examples include a
>reporting capability that isn't a slow, resource hogging add-on pig, a
>"Quicken" style fill-in combo box (which is easy to do in Access), and
>more flexible data and table controls.  Not only is Delphi a great
>product, though, but third party support and components are excellent.

Would you care to enumerate these components, how you're using them,
and your overall satisfaction with each one? I'm thinking that I'm
going to have to do some purchasing in the near future. Thanks!

Kevin Greiner

Sun, 12 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi Learning Curve

Quote:

>Would you care to enumerate these components, how you're using them,
>and your overall satisfaction with each one? I'm thinking that I'm
>going to have to do some purchasing in the near future. Thanks!

Sure.  Please understand:  1. I have no affiliation (or stock) in any
of the mentioned companies.  2.  As always, my customer wanted a
product yesterday so I bought stuff first and asked questions later.
3. My applications are database oriented.  4.  Your mileage may vary.

First, I purchased Orpheus from Turbo Power software.  This provided
me with more powerful data-aware components for my data entry screens,
a much more flexible grid object, and lots of other neat stuff.  Turbo
Power is a great company, and I have used their B-Tree Filer product
for years.  (This product allows you to implement an extremely fast
file system, but it is not "data aware" in the Delphi sense.)  Orpheus
was probably brilliant in a previous life, as it seems like it might
be a reincarnated Data-Entry toolkit from a BPW product.  Delphi
already does quite a bit by itself, so although I'm still happy with
Orpheus I might not have needed it as bad as I thought.

Next, I found ReportPrinter from Nevrona Designs.  Of course, it's
harder to write reports from scratch without a tool such as Report
Smith, but I felt that there was no other choice. (I've already posted
my comments on Report Smith.)  This product simplifies direct printer
"canvas" handling.

Also of note is the DBLookupComboPlus, from Out & About Productions.
This tool provides "Quicken"-like incremental typing for a combo box.

There are a number of freeware and shareware components, such as Alias
Manager from Mark E. Edington, which allows you to easily manage your
BDE aliases in code; TAdrockCalendarEdit from Adrock that provides
"Quicken"-like calander data entry (which is nice shareware but I
can't get myself to pay for it yet); TErrorTable from OnTYme Software
which encapsulates BDE error handling directly in your TTable
component; and ValCombo, also form OnTYme Software which is a nice
combo box for a fixed set of values.  These components are readily
available from the Compuserve Delphi forum, the Internet Delphi
Super-page, etc.

I have also heard very good things about InfoPower but I haven't had
time to work with them yet.

Contacts:
   TurboPower Software
   800-333-4160 or 719-260-9136
   Compuserve PCVENB Section 6 or GO TURBOPOWER

   Nevrona Designs
   602-899-0794 or FAX: 602-530-4823
   Compuserve 70711,2020

   Out & About Productions
   Alec Bergamini
   CompuServe ID 75664,1224

Hope this helps,

Phil

Sun, 12 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi Learning Curve
No-one in this thread seems to have mentioned Pascal as a language, so here goes...

Pascal has a syntax which is very readable and structured and because of this is it
easier to learn than, for example, C++.  I essentially taught myself Pascal in a month
playing around at home when Turbo Pascal 4.0 came along.  I had no documentation and
only looked at the help files and the examples.  Borland has excellent help provided
with Delphi - you shouldn't have to read the manual.  One thing I have noticed is that
Delphi does lack some of the previous Pascal info., you might give want to take a look
at some of the older documentation too...

As for performance - from what I've gathered Access databases are roughly 10x slower
at accessing because Micro$oft has other drivers available outside of the ODBC dog
engine they provide.  But I've used Paradox and dBase databases and they seem lightning
fast.

You can't beat Delphi's ability to be a general purpose programming language.  It spans
VB -> C++ as far as capability is concerned, and a bit of Access mixed in too.  Where
Micro$oft tries to convince people that you need 3 different apps to work on a project
Borland provides Delphi for all three of these MS apps.  Although, Access does have some
nice aspects which allow one to easily see the relationships between various tables etc.
But the real beauty of Delphi is its ability to handle the low-level stuff, down to the
assembly level, as well as the high-level stuff and not be too scary for the beginner.

Conclusion, you can't go wrong with Delphi.

Quote:

> I thinking of purchasing Dephi mostly for database applications, but also
> non-database.  I've been watching this group for a while and have not seen
> anything on Delphi's learning curve.

> Are any of you ex-MS Access users that have switched to Delphi?  If so, was
> the learning curve very long switching from Access Basic to Delphi Pascal?

> Understanding that Delphi is more of a general purpose programming language,
> does it offer any specific advantages for database applications?

> Thanks in advance,

> __
> Remo Pennacchioli
> AT&T Global Information Solutions, Imaging Systems
> Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

> Opinions are my own & not on behalf of AT&T
> __

Sun, 12 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. BP7 (DOS only) to Delphi learning curve

2. Learning curve between Delphi and Visual Basic

3. Learning Delphi

4. learning Delphi...

5. DELPHI/ PERM/ Learn 4/ Mid-West

6. [Fwd: DELPHI/ Perm/ Learn 4/Mid-West]

7. LONDON - Delphi/V.B Developers - Euro Equities Project - Learn Corba/Java

8. LONDON - Delphi/VB Developers - Euro Equities Project - Learn Corba/Java

9. LONDON - Delphi/Visual Basic Developer - Equity Risk Management System - Learn Java/Corba

10. LONDON - Delphi/Visual Basic Developer - Euro Equities Project - Learn Corba/Java

11. LONDON - Delphi/Visual Basic Developer - Euro Equities Project - Learn Java/Corba

12. LONDON - Delphi/Visual Basic Developer - Equity Risk Management System - Learn Java/Corba - Merchant Bank