Aggregate functions and Group By problems in Local SQL
Author Message
 Aggregate functions and Group By problems in Local SQL

I am having trouble (ie. Capability not Supported error message) using any
of the aggregate functions and the group by clause in Local SQL.  The
Database Application Developer's Guide that comes with delphi 1.0 seems to
indicate that these features of SQL are available (p.176-179).  Does
anyone know if they really are?

I am working with two tables: applicants and hours.  I am trying to create
a query that lists only those applicants with more than a certain total
number of hours.  I thought I could use SUM(end time - begin time) and
group by applicant.  But I am getting the Capability not Supported error.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

Thu, 10 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Aggregate functions and Group By problems in Local SQL

Quote:

> I am having trouble (ie. Capability not Supported error message) using any
> of the aggregate functions and the group by clause in Local SQL.  The
> Database Application Developer's Guide that comes with Delphi 1.0 seems to
> indicate that these features of SQL are available (p.176-179).  Does
> anyone know if they really are?
> I am working with two tables: applicants and hours.  I am trying to create
> a query that lists only those applicants with more than a certain total
> number of hours.  I thought I could use SUM(end time - begin time) and
> group by applicant.  But I am getting the Capability not Supported error.
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Paul

Yes, this capability is not suported (you can do : select SUM(xxx) from yyyy
but you can't do : SELECT SUM(xxx1) - SUM (xxx2) from yyy

I've read somewhere in help (local SQL help) that operations on aggregate
functions are not allowed. All SQL statements you can use ISQL (Local
interBase)

I hope I'm right
Mike

Thu, 10 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. SQL - aggregate functions and groups

2. Newbie: SQL Aggregate Functions????

3. Aggregate functions in SQL

4. Problem with Local - SQL SUM() function

5. HELP !: Local SQL and Group By

6. GROUP BY in Delphi's Local SQL

7. How to GROUP on EXTRACTed field in Local SQL

8. Group by... Having in Local SQL

9. Local SQL group

10. SQL and the GROUP BY clause with local Paradox tables

11. Using GROUP BY in local SQL

12. SQL: How to group a function column?