MS SQL Server 6.5 + Delphi 3.0 = ???
Author Message
 MS SQL Server 6.5 + Delphi 3.0 = ???

Hi All !!!
I'm using delphi 3.0 C/S and i have MS SQL Server 6.5 installed on server .

What i need to do to connect my APP with MS SQL ???

What i need to install ???
What i need to setup ???
Is it possible to do without MS ODBS setup ???

PLS HELP !!!

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 MS SQL Server 6.5 + Delphi 3.0 = ???

To use with the specific Delphi driver and not use ODBC you need to install
the SQL Server client utilities, these will be on your SQL installation CD.
No probs!!!

Quote:

>Hi All !!!
>I'm using Delphi 3.0 C/S and i have MS SQL Server 6.5 installed on server .

>What i need to do to connect my APP with MS SQL ???

>What i need to install ???
>What i need to setup ???
>Is it possible to do without MS ODBS setup ???

>PLS HELP !!!

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 MS SQL Server 6.5 + Delphi 3.0 = ???

Quote:

> Hi All !!!
> I'm using Delphi 3.0 C/S and i have MS SQL Server 6.5 installed on server .

I am running the same environment and implementing an app for a client of mine.

Quote:

> What i need to do to connect my APP with MS SQL ???

Install the 32bit ODBC driver fro SQL Server 6.5 -- the 16 bit one won't work.
Quote:

> What i need to install ???

Install SQL Server 6.5 client software and test the connectivity between your
client and the server.

Then put in a new data source using the ODBC driver for SQL that you just
installed and setting the path to your SQL Server Data Base.
Please have the database established or set it up on the server before you do
the client side.  ( You can use the demo database for a test)

Then test it by taking MS Access or something else with a straight ODBC connect
and connect to the data base.  To enhance the next steps be sure the new data
base has a table if it doesn't have one then create on with Access ( You can
delete it later)

Now that all this works go to BDE admin which is on the control panel and
establish a Delphi Alias for the data base using the new ODBC name as the
target.

Then take Borlands DB Desk Top or DB explorer and try to connect to the data
base. If this works you are in business --  Drag a Database Icon onto one of you
forms and answer the setup questions.

Quote:
> What i need to setup ???
> Is it possible to do without MS ODBS setup ???

As to not using ODBC -- yes you can do that with what I call native mode drivers
- the other message basically talks to that -- this is an API that you make
direct calls to --- For my personal taste I would not do this -- these rivers
are making essentially direct calls to the data base which mans that every
change in that data base requires that you reinstall the driver -- often times
there are changes which will require re-coding --  further you are stuck with
SQL server -- further these drivers tend to be unstable -- I am a designer of
larger systems and I like many other architects I know will not allow API /
Direct Mode drivers to be used on production systems -- its just not worth the
trouble -- the performance loss using ODBC is small and the flexibility is well
worth the use of ODBC. I have used ODBC with SQL Server, Oracle 7 & 8, DB2,
etc.  There are many debug tools etc. on the market ODBC SPY -- SQL Spy, Erwin
and other data modeling tools -- if you stick with ODBC you can usually find
many tools and choices to solve any given problem.  Yes there are bugs in some
ODBC drivers so get current versions. ( Yes this is a personal opinion so no
flame messages please)

Native Mode drivers are usually used by companies that are trying to embed the
RDBMS in their product in such a way that its usage is hidden from prying eyes
-- or when performance is critical ( like real time systems) and usually there
is only one client connected to the database.

Good Luck,

Yasmiin

Quote:

> PLS HELP !!!

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 MS SQL Server 6.5 + Delphi 3.0 = ???

You need to install the MS SQL Client software.

This is done by using the MS SQL CD.  Under Win95 the only install option is
the 'Client Software'.
For your development machine, you will want the 'Full Client' install.
For user machines, you will only want 'Client Configuration Utility'.

Once installed, you need to run the 'Client Configuration Utility'.  Select the
'Net Library' tab from the Configuration Utility, then choose the 'Default
Network' protocol.  Your options are:

Multi-Protocol
NWLink IPX/SPX
TCP/IP
Banyan VINES

This sets the DLL used to communicate to SQL.

In the BDE Admin. set the DATABASE NAME option for your MSSQL Server to the
Database name on your server.  Then set the SERVER NAME, don't change any other
settings for now.  You will have to do some load testing and get an MS SQL book
for tuning the Client/Server options.

Good luck...

Quote:

> Hi All !!!
> I'm using Delphi 3.0 C/S and i have MS SQL Server 6.5 installed on server .

> What i need to do to connect my APP with MS SQL ???

> What i need to install ???
> What i need to setup ???
> Is it possible to do without MS ODBS setup ???

> PLS HELP !!!

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Delphi 3.0 and MS SQL Server 6.5

2. Accessing SQL Server 6.5 from Delphi 3.0 Cli/svr

3. Blobs greater than 32K in SQL-Server 6.5/Delphi 3.0

4. MS-SQL server 6.5 vs Interbase server ???

5. Delphi 1 Desktop/MS SQL Server 6/6.5

6. Delphi 3 and MS SQL Server 6.5 - Bug??

7. Stored Procedure MS Sql Server 6.5 and Delphi 2.0

8. Delphi 2.0 and MS SQL Server 6.5 Problem

9. Hang up when using D1 + ODBC + MS SQL Server 6.5

10. Creating a database with MS SQL Server 6.5

11. Image Datatype on a MS-SQL 6.5 Server

12. No Tables in MS Sql Server 6.5