Interbase vs. what??
Author Message
 Interbase vs. what??

Hi there,

I am planning to build a client application that will have to access a
database, and deal with a large amount of data... In the next future I
will need to access this data from the web, with an application that I
will write in PHP... I am still at the game plan, so I am trying to
figure out what could be the best solution...

I have delphi 4 and a couple of years ago I wrote an application that
had basically the same structure... At the time I used MySQL accessed
through ODBC drivers, but I got into real trouble!!!  Now I don't want
to get into that trouble again, so I thought to myself "let's use
Interbase"... I downloaded the open source Interbase for linux and
installed on my server but... I found out that BDE doesn't get along
that easily even with Interbase... I wrote a stupid test application
using a TDatabase, TTable, TDataSet and TDBGrid... When I add a record
inside the DBGrid, after posting the changes it disappear from list,
even though the record is correctly added to the table, restarting the
application the record is showed!! ARGH!... I thought about not using
data aware components, and manually putting data resulting from queries
into the edit boxes and so on... But it really terrifies me, since this
application will have more than 100 fields on a table, and there are
more than one!

Can anybody tell me if there's a better approach to this scenario?? Any
advice will be appreciated...

TIA,
Guido.

Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:46:16 GMT
 Interbase vs. what??
Guido

What problems did you encounter with MySQL?

We are using MySQL with Delphi using the MySQLODBC system with no
problems (some of our databases have > 3 Million records!).

Steve

Quote:

--
Stephen Lee-Woolf
Academic Information Services

Tue, 21 Oct 2003 17:28:23 GMT
 Interbase vs. what??
On Fri, 4 May 2001 10:28:23 +0100, Steve Lee-Woolf

Quote:

>Guido

>What problems did you encounter with MySQL?

>We are using MySQL with Delphi using the MySQLODBC system with no
>problems (some of our databases have > 3 Million records!).

I'm using MySQL for a small database, and am having these problems
(probably caused by my own ignorance):

 - varchar fields shrink to the longest data item.  Guido pointed out
the "don't optimize column width" option in the MyODBC options to fix
this.

 - I'm using TQuery's to put two tables into a Master-Detail
relationship.  When I enter a new record in the master database, some
of my fields' values disappear.  (Maybe related to the column width
problem?  I'll see....)

 - When I post a new record to the Master database, I'd like it to
show up in the appropriate sorted order position.  It doesn't, things
are sort of weird:  if I'm at the end of the database when I post it,
then click on the Next button, it shows up.  If I add detail records
to it, then they don't show up on the original entry, but do show up
when I click Next.  If I scroll away and back, I can't see it at all:
but closing and opening the database makes it appear correctly.

I've got no evidence that any of these problems are caused by MySQL,
but they are causing me to tear my hair out...

Duncan Murdoch

Tue, 21 Oct 2003 20:01:32 GMT
 Interbase vs. what??
Duncan

I'm probably getting totally the wrong end of the stick here, but what
I'd do in this situation is to use a sub-form to accept user input for
new records which would fire off a parameterised SQL Insert and, on
completion, would do a close followed by an open on the main form queries
to regenerate the master/detail lists. This should ensure that all
records are shown in the proper position and are visible immediately.

Steve

Quote:

--
Stephen Lee-Woolf
Academic Information Services
University of Salford
Salford, Manchester

Tue, 21 Oct 2003 20:25:26 GMT
 Interbase vs. what??
One other problem I forgot:

When I go to a record and try to edit it, I very frequently get the
error message "Couldn't perform the edit because another user changed
the record".  There are no other users....

And a question:

Besides the "don't optimize column width" option, are there any other
non-defaults in the MyODBC options that make sense when modifying the
database?

Duncan Murdoch

Tue, 21 Oct 2003 20:32:13 GMT
 Interbase vs. what??
Duncan

Quote:
> One other problem I forgot:

> When I go to a record and try to edit it, I very frequently get the
> error message "Couldn't perform the edit because another user changed
> the record".  There are no other users....

Sounds like a record locking conflict .. don't know why tho'

Quote:
> And a question:

> Besides the "don't optimize column width" option, are there any other
> non-defaults in the MyODBC options that make sense when modifying the
> database?

As a matter of course, I always check "Pad CHAR to full length" and
"Return matching rows"

Quote:

--
Stephen Lee-Woolf
Academic Information Services
University of Salford
Salford, Manchester

Tue, 21 Oct 2003 22:46:44 GMT
 Interbase vs. what??

Quote:

> Duncan

> I'm probably getting totally the wrong end of the stick here, but what
> I'd do in this situation is to use a sub-form to accept user input for
> new records which would fire off a parameterised SQL Insert and, on
> completion, would do a close followed by an open on the main form queries
> to regenerate the master/detail lists. This should ensure that all
> records are shown in the proper position and are visible immediately.

> Steve

Hi Steve,

that's the approach I thought to use in the app that I have to write... But
the problem is that when you have many fields in a table (about 100, spread
on a multitab control), it's a kind of boring to get the data back and forth
the sub-form... Maybe I am a little lazy... :)

Ciao,
Guido.

Wed, 22 Oct 2003 17:54:16 GMT
 Interbase vs. what??

Quote:
> I found out that BDE doesn't get along
> that easily even with Interbase... I wrote a stupid test application
> using a TDatabase, TTable, TDataSet and TDBGrid...

I believe the new version of BDE does get on with Interbase (is it out
yet?).  Alternatively you may want to get dedicated IB components such as
IBObjects for the best performance.

Oliver

Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:43:28 GMT

1. Interbase vs Oracle

2. Interbase vs. Sybase SQL Anywhere

3. InterBase vs. Oracle

4. Interbase vs MS SQL Server ?????

5. Local InterBase Vs. Paradox

6. Delphi with Interbase vs Oracle

7. Local Interbase vs. Paradox: which is better for stand-alone database apps?

8. Interbase vs. Paradox: How to speed up ?!?

9. dBase vs Paradox vs Interbase

10. Personal Oracle 7 vs Paradox 7 vs Local Interbase

11. TTable vs TQuery vs TwwQuery vs TwwTable - SPEED

12. Paradox VS Interbase