Strange new problem
Author Message
 Strange new problem

I have had no problem with double-quote characters until moving to another
server.  The MS SQL server is the same as I have used for over a year.  All of
the sudden, double quotes are not allowed in my insert or update statements as
part of a varchar column.  Turns out that a set of two double quotes are
allowed if they are fairly close together but not if there is much distance
between them.  Seems like a setting somewhere.
Any clues?  TIA

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Strange new problem

Quote:
>I have had no problem with double-quote characters until moving to another
>server.  The MS SQL server is the same as I have used for over a year.  All
>of
>the sudden, double quotes are not allowed in my insert or update statements
>as
>part of a varchar column.  Turns out that a set of two double quotes are
>allowed if they are fairly close together but not if there is much distance
>between them.  Seems like a setting somewhere.
>Any clues?  TIA

What does your SQL Statement look like?

********************************
Michael Glatz

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Strange new problem

Quote:
>>I have had no problem with double-quote characters until moving to another
>>server.  The MS SQL server is the same as I have used for over a year.  All
>>of
>>the sudden, double quotes are not allowed in my insert or update statements
>>as
>>part of a varchar column.  Turns out that a set of two double quotes are
>>allowed if they are fairly close together but not if there is much distance
>>between them.  Seems like a setting somewhere.
>>Any clues?  TIA

>What does your SQL Statement look like?

insert into item (ItemID, ItemDesc) values ('window', 'Tempered glass of 30" in
width')

Funny part is:
Tempered glass of 30" x 48" - works
Tempered glass with 1" bevel aound the edge and size of 30" x 48" with an
etching of 18" - fails
Replace the double quotes after 1 and 18 with two single quotes and it works
Replace the double quotes after 38 and 18 and it fails

Fun! - NOT

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Strange new problem
If you use ODBC, check for ANSI QUOTES setting. If it's checked, your
queries require pairs of double quotes instead of pairs of either singles or
doubles.

rb

Quote:

>I have had no problem with double-quote characters until moving to another
>server.  The MS SQL server is the same as I have used for over a year.  All
of
>the sudden, double quotes are not allowed in my insert or update statements
as
>part of a varchar column.  Turns out that a set of two double quotes are
>allowed if they are fairly close together but not if there is much distance
>between them.  Seems like a setting somewhere.
>Any clues?  TIA

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Strange behavior with new BDE

2. Strange problem when running a report

3. Strange RTE 103 problem

4. MS SQL Server Strange Problem

5. Strange problem with cached updates

6. Strange RTE 103 problem

7. strange readln problem

8. Strange Problem

9. Access, Delphi3 (BDE4.51) and a strange problem...

10. Strange problem with DOS under Win98.

11. Strange MS-DOS and Win9x LFN problems.

12. Strange problem with Upcase and comparing instr.