DataBase Error - Index out of date
Author Message
 DataBase Error - Index out of date

 Can anyone help me with the following error message..
Error: 'Index out of date' - followed by a secondary index name.
Another error I've had is 'Corrupt File other than header'
What caused the error?, can the tables be fixed? How can I prevent
these error from re-occuring? I've been using Paradox tables.

Thanks,
Todd

Sun, 20 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 DataBase Error - Index out of date

Quote:
> Can anyone help me with the following error message..
>Error: 'Index out of date' - followed by a secondary index name.
>Another error I've had is 'Corrupt File other than header'
>What caused the error?, can the tables be fixed? How can I prevent
>these error from re-occuring? I've been using Paradox tables.

At this point you have at least one corrupted table.  If you have Paradox for
Windows you can go run table-repair.  If you don't then, umm, well, Delphi
doesn't come with that.  You will need to either get a component or program
that does repairs from the Internet, or roll your own.

And don't forget, if you do Delphi DB software for a living then it's only a
matter of time when it will happen to one of your clients' tables.  :-(

/mr/

Sun, 20 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 DataBase Error - Index out of date

Many errors can be fixed using repair utilities or Paradox itself (it
may be worth investing in a copy of Paradox just for the repair
functions).

Index Out Of Date can be fixed be calling the BDE :

uses

  DbiTypes, DB, DBTables, DbiErrs, DbiProcs;

procedure ReIndexTable(database_name , table_name : string);
var
   Table : TTable;
begin
     Table := TTable.Create(Self);
     try
        with Table do
        begin
             DatabaseName := database_name;
             TableName := table_name;
             Exclusive := True;
             Open;
             DbiRegenIndexes(Handle);
             Close;
        end;
     finally
        Table.Free;
     end;
end;

DbiRegenIndexes returns a value that you can check if you want :

DBIERR_NONE - all OK
DBIERR_INVALIDHNDL - Open failed for some reason
DBIERR_NEEDEXCLACCESS - the table is open somewhere else

Note - this will only work for secondary indexes (Open will fail for the
Primary Index).

The main way to prevent the errors reoccuring is to educate the users in
cleanly exiting your application. I.e., just because it's 5:05pm - don't
just switch off the computer !

We've had trashed tables during development when either our application
or Delphi itself has locked. Index out of Date errors can also occur
when every record in a Paradox table has been deleted.

Hope this helps

--
Robert Eccles

Mon, 21 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 DataBase Error - Index out of date

:  Can anyone help me with the following error message..
: Error: 'Index out of date' - followed by a secondary index name.
: Another error I've had is 'Corrupt File other than header'
: What caused the error?, can the tables be fixed? How can I prevent
: these error from re-occuring? I've been using Paradox tables.

Hello Todd,

usually indexes get corrupted when record locking does not work
(if you are using tables in network or non-BDE programm is modifying
tables same time as BDE-application does).

Tanel

Mon, 21 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 DataBase Error - Index out of date

Quote:

>Subject: Re: DataBase Error - Index out of date
>Date: Thu, 04 Jul 1996 11:10:43 GMT
>Many errors can be fixed using repair utilities or Paradox itself (it
>may be worth investing in a copy of Paradox just for the repair
>functions).
(clip)
>The main way to prevent the errors reoccuring is to educate the users in
>cleanly exiting your application. I.e., just because it's 5:05pm - don't
>just switch off the computer !

And if your using WIndows for Worgroups 3.11 - turn 32-bit file access off .
The 32-bit VCache.386 can CAUSE index-out-of-date errors and data loss when
the computer is powered off or hard-reset !
(the 16-bit smartdrv does not have this problem)
Quote:
>We've had trashed tables during development when either our application
>or Delphi itself has locked. Index out of Date errors can also occur
>when every record in a Paradox table has been deleted.
>Hope this helps
>--
>Robert Eccles

Tue, 22 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 DataBase Error - Index out of date

Quote:

>  Can anyone help me with the following error message..
> Error: 'Index out of date' - followed by a secondary index name.
> Another error I've had is 'Corrupt File other than header'
> What caused the error?, can the tables be fixed? How can I prevent
> these error from re-occuring? I've been using Paradox tables.

> Thanks,
> Todd
> Hi Todd,
> Chen, Israel.
>Dont let it get to you , worse can be happen.
>1. 'Index Out Of Date' usualy pops up after mixing *.XBn, *.YBn      Index files that realy dont belong to the current table file,

     Or overriden by an older version of these Files.
     Try resoring the table structure by first eraseing the current
     index files, and create new indexes with the DataBase-desk-Top.
Quote:
>2  You must have made your files damn to angry,    deal with extrem care with the database files there's times, you

    have no way back.
    again you must have make some destructuring work instead of
    restructuring, Could be almost anything.
bye.

Fri, 25 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Index Error - Index out date

2. Weird index out of date error

3. BDE Engine error: Index file out of date...

4. "Index is out of date" error

5. Index out of date error...

6. HOW TO REPAIR INDEX OUR OF DATE ERROR RE

7. Important Error Index out of date

8. Index ot of date error???

9. index out of date error?!?!?!

10. "Index out of date" Paradox Error

11. Index out of date error

12. BDE Engine Error: Index file out of date....