Foxpro Databases 
Author Message
 Foxpro Databases

Can Foxpro Databases be read from Delphi?


Sat, 25 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Foxpro Databases

Quote:

>Can Foxpro Databases be read from Delphi?

The .DBF files will, in as far as the particular table structure is within
dBASE specs, be usable. The FoxPro multiple index file, with the extension
.CDX, will not be recognized or used. As far as I am aware, the memo files
are not compatible.

To be able to fully use FoxPro tables without converting them to dBASE
tables, you would need to resort to one of the following:

1. An ODBC driver for FoxPro tables used through the BDE.
2. An alternate database engine (i.e., other than and supplanting the BDE),

   specifically one that directly supports FoxPro tables.
3. Some third-party data components that directly support FoxPro tables.

**************************************************************************
Steve Koterski                    "Knowledge advances by steps, and not by
Product Group Manager             leaps."
Delphi Technical Support                       -- Lord Macaulay, 1800-1859
Borland International, Inc.



Mon, 27 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Foxpro Databases

Quote:


> >Can Foxpro Databases be read from Delphi?

> The .DBF files will, in as far as the particular table structure is within
> dBASE specs, be usable. The FoxPro multiple index file, with the extension
> .CDX, will not be recognized or used. As far as I am aware, the memo files
> are not compatible.

> To be able to fully use FoxPro tables without converting them to dBASE
> tables, you would need to resort to one of the following:

> 1. An ODBC driver for FoxPro tables used through the BDE.
> 2. An alternate database engine (i.e., other than and supplanting the BDE),

>    specifically one that directly supports FoxPro tables.
> 3. Some third-party data components that directly support FoxPro tables.

> **************************************************************************
> Steve Koterski                    "Knowledge advances by steps, and not by
> Product Group Manager             leaps."
> Delphi Technical Support                       -- Lord Macaulay, 1800-1859
> Borland International, Inc.

Can we expect a update to BDE with native support for FoxPro and its
indexes? This would potentially help Borland to get more FoxPro
programmers to switch to Delphi!!! It makes a good business sense to me.
--
Michael Beck


Mon, 27 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Foxpro Databases
On Thu, 8 Feb 1996 15:46:38 GMT, Michael Beck

[...]

Quote:
>Can we expect a update to BDE with native support for FoxPro and its
>indexes? This would potentially help Borland to get more FoxPro
>programmers to switch to Delphi!!! It makes a good business sense to me.

I have not heard anything to date. But then, when doing something like this
the technical aspect is often the easiest. Inter-company politics and
licensing issues typically present a greater hurdle.

While the .DBF file format is open and in the public domain, such
considerations as index formats are usually proprietary. So to use such
functional areas requires licensing the technology from the proponent
company. It is for this very reason that the BDE does not (yet) include
native access to Microsoft Access databases.

But then, I am just a techno-nerd, and seldom like to delve into that side
of the business.

**************************************************************************
Steve Koterski                    "Knowledge advances by steps, and not by
Product Group Manager             leaps."
Delphi Technical Support                       -- Lord Macaulay, 1800-1859
Borland International, Inc.



Tue, 28 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Foxpro Databases

Quote:

> Can Foxpro Databases be read from Delphi?

  I have been trying to do this for half a day now (the dBase driver
does not seem to like FoxPro 2.6 .CDX index files).  I'm curious if
anyone else has gotten this to work, under either 1.0 or 2.0.

                                                        Jim Wright
                                                         OmniCell Technologies



Sat, 01 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Foxpro Databases

JW>> Can Foxpro Databases be read from Delphi?

You can't do this from Delphi BDE per se, but can use either Apollo by
Successware or Codebase from Sequiter.

I first tried Apollo and it's great as it means you can use the tables
the same as any BDE app (I.e. TTable), but don't need to distribute the
BDE run-time.  Just a few Apollo DLL's.  Unfortunately, we had a lot of
problems, in that it is slow on writing records and a little unstable,
although a few of the stability problems may be my fault.  I am not too
sure on the speed of reading.

Codebase is rock solid and very fast for reading and writing, but has no
Delphi components.  You cann use from Delphi (and we have) but you have
to call the Codebase functions.  I.e rc := d4seek(db, 'BANANA');  if rc
= r4success.

Both are quite expensive (in comparison to the superb Delphi system that
is only 150 pounds).

I hope this helps.

---
Paul.S.J.Bartlett | Node 1 +44(0)1908 671650 (VFC)

MKBBS             | Node 3 +44(0)1908 234583 (V32Terbo)

t CMPQwk 1.42 6001 tDOS never says "EXCELLENT command or filename"...



Sun, 02 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Foxpro Databases

Quote:



> >> Can Foxpro Databases be read from Delphi?

> >  I have been trying to do this for half a day now (the dBase driver
> >does not seem to like FoxPro 2.6 .CDX index files).  I'm curious if
> >anyone else has gotten this to work, under either 1.0 or 2.0.

> >                                                       Jim Wright
> >                                                        OmniCell Technologies

> You need an add-on product to be able to connect to FoxPro (CDX) or
> Clipper (NTX) files.  There are a few out there, some have VCLs and
> some don't.  The one I am trying is Apollo and it looks very good so
> far.  You can download a free fully functional demo version from the
> CompuServe Delphi forum (GO DELPHI).

  Well, I've just started using the Microsoft FoxPro 16 bit ODBC driver,
and I can now open tables with FoxPro compound indexes (.CDX), but when I
try to change to a particular index (other than the default/primary
index), I get an exception/GP with "Index does not exist".  The index
is on a character field "Rsc_stype", with that field being the index
expression, and the index name as well.  (In the FPW 2.6 Database|Setup
box, the index is listed as "Lac_rsc:rsc_stype" where Lac_rsc is the
name of the table.  If I try TJimTable.IndexName := "Rsc_stype", it
gives me the "Index does not exist" exception, and if I try
TJimTable.IndexName := "Lac_rsc:rsc_stype", it gives me a bizarre
GP/exception, something like "Cannot find (unknown)", and after that
the ODBC driver or BDE is choked, and I have to log off and back on
to the machine (NT Workstation 3.51).  Any coments or advice on this?

                                                        Jim



Mon, 03 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Foxpro Databases

Quote:

>Can Foxpro Databases be read from Delphi?

Yes, if you buy APOLLO from Successware.

Chris Lee



Fri, 07 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Foxpro Databases

Quote:


>> Can Foxpro Databases be read from Delphi?

>  I have been trying to do this for half a day now (the dBase driver
>does not seem to like FoxPro 2.6 .CDX index files).  I'm curious if
>anyone else has gotten this to work, under either 1.0 or 2.0.

>                                                    Jim Wright
>                                                     OmniCell Technologies

Jim:

Databases yes, indices no, not with raw Delphi although at least Apollo will do
it. Without add-ons you will have to generate delphi index files which does make
it a bit time-consuming to switch back and forth between Delphi and FoxPro.

Dciki MacDonald



Sat, 08 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Foxpro Databases

Quote:

>Databases yes, indices no, not with raw Delphi although at least Apollo will do

What are your experiences with Apollo?  Do you need to ship the BDE if
you use Apollo?  

Is it stable?  I used SixDriver for Clipper, and it was always VERY
unstable.

Chuck G.



Mon, 10 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Foxpro Databases

: >Databases yes, indices no, not with raw Delphi although at least Apollo will do

: What are your experiences with Apollo?  Do you need to ship the BDE if
: you use Apollo?  

With Apollo2, you can choose a non-BDE component library build.  Using
this, I have moved an app I wrote to a computer which never had BDE or
Delphi installed.  It worked fine.  The whole App, including the 2 Apollo
DLLs, fit comfortably on one diskette without compression.  

: Is it stable?  I used SixDriver for Clipper, and it was always VERY
: unstable.

Can't say for sure, yet..  I have had a few weird GPFs using Apollo, but
they may have been my own fault.  On the whole, Apollo  has been a
positive experience so far.  

Allen



Tue, 11 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 11 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. sample foxpro database wanted

2. Problem with FoxPro database table

3. Access to FoxPro databases

4. Delphi 4 and Visual Foxpro Databases

5. Foxpro databases and Delphi

6. BDE and Visual Foxpro database

7. BDE and visual FoxPro database

8. Any problem with Visual Foxpro databases and Delphi?

9. ODBC and FoxPro databases

10. D3 Foxpro database problem

11. Need Help to Install application with foxpro database

12. Accessing FoxPro databases

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software