D1: Help - large data structures
Author Message
 D1: Help - large data structures

I am trying to implement the following in Delphi1

I have 2 arrays -> (ARRAY [410,9] OF INTEGER) and they
occupy 7380 bytes each.

My problem :

1) Declaring the arrays as globals :
        Compiles OK
        The first time I access my data structure I get the following
        run-time error "Prject1 raised exception class EGP fault with
        message general protection fault in module project1.exe at
        0001:175F."
        When I terminate it after this message, I get another message
        box saying "General protection in module project1 at 0001:3e21"
        3 times, then an application error at some address etc.

2) Declaring them as locals and passing them as parameters:
        Compiles OK
        On startup of the program I get a message box saying
        run-time error 202 at 0001:1C62.

Anyone have any ideas? What I would like to know is :

Am I missing some compiler settings?
Any way to get this to work?
What are my alternatives? (I would like to avoid writing to files etc)

Please could you reply via email to either

Thanks a lot. I really need to get this going.

Fri, 05 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 D1: Help - large data structures

Quote:

>I am trying to implement the following in Delphi1

>I have 2 arrays -> (ARRAY [410,9] OF INTEGER) and they
>occupy 7380 bytes each.

>My problem :

>1) Declaring the arrays as globals :
>        Compiles OK
>        The first time I access my data structure I get the following
>        run-time error "Prject1 raised exception class EGP fault with
>        message general protection fault in module project1.exe at
>        0001:175F."
>        When I terminate it after this message, I get another message
>        box saying "General protection in module project1 at 0001:3e21"
>        3 times, then an application error at some address etc.

>2) Declaring them as locals and passing them as parameters:
>        Compiles OK
>        On startup of the program I get a message box saying
>        run-time error 202 at 0001:1C62.

>Anyone have any ideas? What I would like to know is :

>Am I missing some compiler settings?
>Any way to get this to work?
>What are my alternatives? (I would like to avoid writing to files etc)

>Please could you reply via email to either

>Thanks a lot. I really need to get this going.

Sounds like you have a problem that may not be related to just the
declaration of arrays.  Post the chunk of code and let us see if we can
find out what's making it crash.

Cheers .. Bruce Caron

Sat, 06 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 D1: Help - large data structures

the following was written:

Quote:
> I am trying to implement the following in Delphi1

> I have 2 arrays -> (ARRAY [410,9] OF INTEGER) and they
> occupy 7380 bytes each.

> My problem :

> 1) Declaring the arrays as globals :
> Compiles OK
> The first time I access my data structure I get the following
> run-time error "Prject1 raised exception class EGP fault with
> message general protection fault in module project1.exe at
> 0001:175F."
> When I terminate it after this message, I get another message
> box saying "General protection in module project1 at 0001:3e21"
> 3 times, then an application error at some address etc.

> 2) Declaring them as locals and passing them as parameters:
> Compiles OK
> On startup of the program I get a message box saying
> run-time error 202 at 0001:1C62.

> Anyone have any ideas? What I would like to know is :

> Am I missing some compiler settings?
> Any way to get this to work?
> What are my alternatives? (I would like to avoid writing to files etc)

Sounds like your problem is in Delphi 1.0??

When these arrays are global you are probably running our of global data
area in memory.  Check your Project/Information to see the size of you
data.  If this is running near 30 to 35 kb you are probably going to
have problems.  Your entire data area in Windows 3.1 is limited to 64kb.

When local your variables are placed on the stack temporarily.  You can
increase the size of the stack on the Project/Options dialog box(linker
page).  Default is 16,384 bytes.  Overall, you will still have to deal
with the 64kb limit.

Delphi 2.0 should solve your problems.

God Bless,

--

09/17/96 00:46
---------

Sat, 06 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. D1: Help - large data structures

2. Large data structures

3. Large data structures

4. Define data structure for graph (abstract data structures)

5. help - structure too large

6. TASM data structures to Pascal data types

7. Static data size/data segment to large

8. Need Help: Data structure for driving game

9. Please Help! on data structure

10. HELP: Sorting Linked List Data Structures

11. Help, Data Structure

12. PLS help: Change field structure without loosing data?