A couple of important D3 gotchas...
Author Message
 A couple of important D3 gotchas...

1. Documentation has improved but still has typical problems which
drive you nuts. Unless, ofcourse, you have the "find" tool and the
complete VCL and RTL source code.
e.g. According to documentation, EDBEngineError should be declared
in unit DB (and it was till v2), but in fact it is in DBTables. Imagine
a poor soul trying to  compile without the VCL source....
Or, the documentation still claims that TTreeNodes.Insert inserts
*after* the TTreeNode passed as parameter. Now, what is true: the
documentation is till wrong and I shouldn't touch my code? or, that
they made VCL agree with the documentation and I have to change my
code?

2. Unit A was in the "uses" clause of unit B. "DB" was in the uses
clause of unit A. It allowed me to reference the variable "session"
in unit B. Not anymore. First, "session" has moved to DBTables, and
even though DBTables also is in the uses list of Unit A, I have to
add DBTables in the uses list of unit B as well.

This only after 1 hour of playing around. How many more are there..
Does Borland provide a "changes" list???

Regards,

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 A couple of important D3 gotchas...

Quote:

>This only after 1 hour of playing around. How many more are there..
>Does Borland provide a "changes" list???

No, but Brad Clarke has a migration / conversion list. It is
available from both the Delphi Buglists ('cause many people seem
to love shouting "bug") and from my Delphi page at
http://kakadu.rz.uni-passau.de/~w4hoff01/Delphi/ -> the
INofficial Delphi 3 link.
--

http://kakadu.rz.uni-passau.de/~w4hoff01/
University of Passau, Bavaria, Germany

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 A couple of important D3 gotchas...

Quote:

> 1. Documentation has improved but still has typical problems which
> drive you nuts. Unless, ofcourse, you have the "find" tool and the
> complete VCL and RTL source code.
> e.g. According to documentation, EDBEngineError should be declared
> in unit DB (and it was till v2), but in fact it is in DBTables. Imagine
> a poor soul trying to  compile without the VCL source....
> Or, the documentation still claims that TTreeNodes.Insert inserts
> *after* the TTreeNode passed as parameter. Now, what is true: the
> documentation is till wrong and I shouldn't touch my code? or, that
> they made VCL agree with the documentation and I have to change my
> code?

> 2. Unit A was in the "uses" clause of unit B. "DB" was in the uses
> clause of unit A. It allowed me to reference the variable "session"
> in unit B. Not anymore. First, "session" has moved to DBTables, and
> even though DBTables also is in the uses list of Unit A, I have to
> add DBTables in the uses list of unit B as well.

> This only after 1 hour of playing around. How many more are there..
> Does Borland provide a "changes" list???

> Regards,

I believe Borland use humans to produce their products and we humans can
make mistakes. I'm sure 'bug lists' will appear soon and patches be made
available.  They admit to bugs more openly than other big software
companies-heh heh.

Learn to adapt...onward thru the fog!

EB

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 A couple of important D3 gotchas...

[...]

Quote:
> 2. Unit A was in the "uses" clause of unit B. "DB" was in the uses
> clause of unit A. It allowed me to reference the variable "session"
> in unit B. Not anymore. First, "session" has moved to DBTables, and
> even though DBTables also is in the uses list of Unit A, I have to
> add DBTables in the uses list of unit B as well.

        The fact that uses clauses were transitive in D2 was a bug
that they fixed in D3 - it now works the way they've said it works
all along.

--
David Ullrich

?his ?s ?avid ?llrich's ?ig ?ile
(Someone undeleted it for me...)

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 A couple of important D3 gotchas...

Quote:

>I believe Borland use humans to produce their products and we humans can
>make mistakes. I'm sure 'bug lists' will appear soon and patches be made
>available.  They admit to bugs more openly than other big software
>companies-heh heh.

The inofficial bug list for Delphi 1, 2 and 3 is located at

http://www.dataweb.nl/~r.p.sterkenburg/bugsall.htm

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. D3.Pdx D2-->D3 partial migration problem

2. D3.0 and D3.01

3. Couple of quick questions regarding txt files...

4. A Couple of Stupid Questions...

5. Couple of Questions

6. Couple of questions

7. A couple of questions

8. a couple of simple things

9. Couple of questions - (Graphics)

10. Postings only stay a couple days???

11. A couple of Turbo Pascal related updates at Garbo

12. A couple of questions...