Delphi vs. Access, NT, for >= 30 users?
Author Message
 Delphi vs. Access, NT, for >= 30 users?

Quote:
>Microsoft told you that Access really maxes out at 5 users concurrent
>use!  Who, when, where?

        Five to Ten users who are updating is what he said. My recomendation is no more
han 5 updating.  Unlimited if read only, but be careful... They'll eat the LAN
badwidth quickly....

Quote:
>Last week I just talked to a developer for a Wall Street firm using
>Access in a multi-user (with updates and inserts) for 8 people -- no
>problems.

        How often do they update and insert? How long has it been up?

Quote:
>Microsoft white paper on Jet 3.0 refer to systems with over 50 users
>(but then, that is Jet 3.0).  Some people in this newsgroup have
>mentioned that MS claims that Access can handle 10 to 15 users
>adequately.  (I know, that information is second hand).

        Jet 3.0 may have fixed some things. I know of systems doing more than 15...
justnot reliably.....

Quote:
>I have never heard of, until now, Access corrupting systems (properly
>installed with the current Jet engine 2.5) which are only READ ONLY.

        Read only corruptions are rare. I am talking about updating users.

Quote:
>I have heard that older versions of Jet incorrectly reported that the
>databases are corrup, but Jet 2.5 corrects that and some other
>multi-user problems.  Jet 2.5 update is free from MS via WEB.

        2.5 still has many of the problems of which this thread speaks.

Quote:
>High end client-server systems use page locking, so I guess that page
>locking by itself is not the problem.

        They also organize their pages different, and lock them in a manner closer to
Acess's optimistic locking.

Quote:
>>        And yes, Client Server would be the obvious choice, and I never said it would
>>no be. However in many situations, that may not be an option.

>You really got my interest here, since my firm is engaged to implement
>a 8 to 15 user Access contact management system on a Novell LAN.  Even
>though most of the activity will be queries and updates, there will be
>some inserts and deletions (but I can handle deletions with an
>internal flag and delete the records in a batch mode).  The sysem will
>have over 20,000 records in the one contact file, and 5,000 to 10,000
>records in two related files.  There will be several other smaller
>related files of less than 500 records.

        Access/Jet in this situation IMHO is borderline. IF you do it this way. MAKE
SUR YOU have REGULAR backups of the database file.

Quote:
>Is delphi (really BDE) so much more stable than Access?  Is there a
>difference in reliability between the dBASE and Paradox options?

        I belive so, and have experienced such, Yes.

        Paradox vs DBase.  Cannot comment there.  I have always used Paradox to date,
wih not a single corruption.  It is my understanding that Paradox is more of a
reational DB than DBase, and it has other features. That is why I chose it vs
DBae.

_
NOTE: This software is currently in early alpha. If you notice any

Please do not report duplicates, as this is usually a manual resend

|Physically in Church Hill, TN - Logically Not Sure          |

>>SQUID - The ultimate 32 bit offline databasing reader

**Special Compile: 3.000A (Alpha)

Sat, 05 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
> [...]

wih not a single corruption.  It is my understanding that Paradox is more of a
reational DB than DBase, and it has other features. That is why I chose it vs
DBae.

_
NOTE: This software is currently in early alpha. If you notice any

Please do not report duplicates, as this is usually a manual resend

|Physically in Church Hill, TN - Logically Not Sure          |

>>SQUID - The ultimate 32 bit offline databasing reader

**Special Compile: 3.000A (Alpha)

Sat, 05 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi vs. Access, NT, for >= 30 users?

Quote:
>Jet is a great engine, Access is a mediocre application development tool.
>Access is wonderful for one-off stuff, building the database, ad-hoc
>querying, and reporting. But if you building an application which will be

        I will agree partially. The JET is a VERY robust SQL engine, with MANY nice
featres... However stability in mid range and up user systems is very
questionabl.

_
NOTE: This software is currently in early alpha. If you notice any

Please do not report duplicates, as this is usually a manual resend

|Physically in Church Hill, TN - Logically Not Sure          |

>>SQUID - The ultimate 32 bit offline databasing reader

**Special Compile: 3.000A (Alpha)

Mon, 07 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Delphi vs. Access, NT, for >= 30 users?

2. Como criar aplica??es de banco de dados em delphi 30 que possam ser

3. Source for books on Delphi at 30% off

4. Need books on Delphi at 30% off!

5. Delphi>>>>>>>

6. Delphi vs Visual Foxpro vs MS Access

7. Access >> Delphi

8. Access >> Delphi

9. printing (writeln) with win95 vs NT 3.51 (Delphi Bug, or Programmer Ignorance)

10. Delphi:Paradox vs Delphi:SQL Anywhere vs Delphi:FoxPro via Apollo

11. Access 7.0 -> Delphi 2.0 access

12. clpb Mini-FAQ V1.30 - Essential Reading for New Subscribers