Which Server?
Author Message
 Which Server?

I have a delphi application using Paradox tables running on a LAN with 12-15
users on the system at one time.  Frequently the Paradox tables get
corrupted and have to be restored from backup resulting in a loss of data.

To resolve this problem, should I move the application into the
client/server world?  Is this difficult to do?  What Server software do you
recommend?

Thanks,

Sat, 24 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Which Server?

Your story brought back painful memories of Pascal applications to Paradox and
regular re-builds and data loss.

I have ported my application form Pascal to Delphi 1 and 3 on Oracle and Sql
Server

With MS SQL Server 7.0 just around the corner with versions which can sit on a
Windows 95 portable to a huge network, i have no doubt that a move to Microsoft
SQL Server 6.5 with coding in ANSI standard SQL is the way to go.

ORACLE DBAs are vastly more expensive for clients than SQL Server DBAs and
Microsoft is moving towards zero maintenance.

Peter Yellow
London UK.

Sat, 24 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Which Server?
In principal your program has not to be changed.
It should work on SQL databases of different vendors.
Probably you will need to modify autoincremental fields
handling (depends on database type, SQL Links or ODBC)
Remember, for BDE - no matter which database you going to use.

Michael Hodos

Sat, 24 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Server Cursors SQL Server 6.5

2. DELPHI 16 to SYBASE on an NT Server with client and server on same machine

3. Access97, Oracle, SQL Server, Interbase Server or what?????

4. Borland Interbase Server vs MS SQL Server

5. MSSQL SERVER + COM SERVERS

6. MS-SQL server 6.5 vs Interbase server ???

7. Running IB Server Manager on NT 3.51 Server

8. can Interbase Server (remote ver) run Local Server Applications?

9. For MS SQL Server: ODBC or Delphi Client/Server?

10. MsSQL Server PLUS Flashfiler ?

11. MySQL Memo Fields Returned (D5e, BDE5.11, MySQL on Linux Server, MyODBC)

12. Detecting if SQL Server is running ok.