why wont this master/detail relationship work?
Author Message
 why wont this master/detail relationship work?

I can't see what the problem is but the field link designer wont give me the right options

company table :

        id: longint key field
        name : Alpha

person table :

        id : longint key field
        Company id : long int ( values match up to company:id)
        Name : Alpha

The field link designer only shows a join as possible between person:id and company:id instead
of person:company id  and company:id. It wont even display person:company id.

Person is the detail.  There are two datasources. The mastersource property is the company tables
datasource.

I've tried everything I can think of. I've never had this problem before.

The only other info : original table was dbase (above are paradox 5). The key fields were created,
originally, with auto-increment. As you may have guessed, I've split a flatfile for relational use. The split
is fine and the relationship seems valid to me.

Help please!

        Yours

                Greg

--

Greg Lorriman co. inc. & sons Ltd

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 why wont this master/detail relationship work?

Quote:

> I can't see what the problem is but the field link designer wont give me the right options

> company table :

>         id: longint key field
>         name : Alpha

> person table :

>         id : longint key field
>         Company id : long int ( values match up to company:id)
>         Name : Alpha

> The field link designer only shows a join as possible between person:id and company:id instead
> of person:company id  and company:id. It wont even display person:company id.

> Person is the detail.  There are two datasources. The mastersource property is the company tables
> datasource.

The first field in a table is the KEY field, and the link designer only
sees those fields as valid indexing fields.  Try rearranging the field
order of the detail table, or define a secondary index for the detail
table based on two fields..

Hope that helps!

Rkr

--
                   \|||/
                   /'^'\

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 why wont this master/detail relationship work?

The Person table MUST have an index by Company Id, otherwise it won't
work. Use the DBD to create a secondary index on Company Id.

Regards
Jose Ostos

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Different detail Index order within master-detail relationship

2. Confirmed D2 bug: cached updates don't work for master/detail - here's why

3. MASTER/DETAIL relationship

4. Master/detail table relationship problems

5. Auto Increment Fields and Master Details Relationship

6. Q: Master-Detail relationship using DBase records

7. Master-Detail Relationship problem

8. DBGrid master/detail relationship?

9. Error using master/detail relationship?

10. Master-detail Relationship

11. Master/Detail relationship problem

12. Delphi 2.0 -> 3.0 Master Detailed Relationships