CS Queries than can be Cancelled
Author Message
 CS Queries than can be Cancelled

I need to be able to let users cancel queries that take too long. I'm
thinking of running the query in a thread which can be destroyed if the
cancel condition occurs.

Anybody tried this or other methods?

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 CS Queries than can be Cancelled

Quote:
> I need to be able to let users cancel queries that take too long. I'm
> thinking of running the query in a thread which can be destroyed if the
> cancel condition occurs.

With Interbase I suspect you'll get a lot of dangling queries on the
server. I seem to recall this happening to us when machines crashed while
running queries against the IB machine. Meant periodically shutting down
the interbase server (not the NT box, just the server service) to kill the
rogue queries.

I suspect many other SQL servers suffer the same problem, I might try it
against the SQL Server box at work tomorrow :-)

Moz
http://shell.ihug.co.nz/~moz1
and moz1 at ihug.co.nz
(not that this seems to stop the spammers)

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 CS Queries than can be Cancelled

On 29 Mar 1998 01:53:33 GMT, "Louis Wald"

Depends on the database you are using.  If you are using Interbase,
the query will run to completion on the server even if the thread is
destroyed on the client.

We have been banging on Borland about this for some time now as it can
cause dramatic problems with "run-away" user designed report queries
like "select * from [some 5 million record dataset doing a reflexive
join...]"

Good luck...

Quote:
>I need to be able to let users cancel queries that take too long. I'm
>thinking of running the query in a thread which can be destroyed if the
>cancel condition occurs.

>Anybody tried this or other methods?

`.??.`.??.`.??.`.??.``.??.`.??

  BadDog - Stuck on the hardpack.

  Friends help you move...

  Real friends help you move bodies.

  Remove 'NOSPAM' from my address before sending.

`.??.`.??.`.??.`.??.``.??.`.??

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Query Cancelled & Corrupted SQL - MSSQL/Delphi 1

2. It's not bad canned meat...

3. V3-url to TP-links cancelled

4. Delphi CS 1.02 to Sybase Help

5. Accessing oracle sequences from Delphi 1.0 CS

6. CS Apps : TTable or TQuery ?

7. Delphi CS, Oracle7.2 & SQLNetV2.2

8. Documents in tables in CS ?

9. help needed please for CS 110 class

10. Delphi 2.0 CS Update & BLOB Problem

11. kcip@cs.cuhk.hk

12. Problem with Delphi3 CS and Sybase 11 - HELP please