Q: Database independence and stored procedures.
Author Message
 Q: Database independence and stored procedures.

Can I make my application database independent when using Interbase
stored procedures?? Are there a common syntax between
Oracle,Sybase,Interbase etc??
Or does database independence mean that I will not be able to use
stored procedures?

What about security? If I implement this on the database server, can I
port my application to another databse without problems?

Vidar

Sun, 20 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Q: Database independence and stored procedures.

writes

Quote:
>Can I make my application database independent when using Interbase
>stored procedures?? Are there a common syntax between
>Oracle,Sybase,Interbase etc??

        Having recently read a comparison between Interbase and MS SQL
server (Which did neither any favours) I would suggest that the answer
is NO.

Quote:
>Or does database independence mean that I will not be able to use
>stored procedures?

        Stored procedures are not implemented by all SQL servers (So I
am told) and when they are implemented the implementations are not
necesarily compatible.  It turns out that there are three levels to the
current ANSI standard....I am told that neither MS SQL or Interbase
fully comply with ANY of these standards e.g. They may conform to the
entry level standard but add their own bits and bobs that enhance it but
make it fail to comply with the middle standard.

Quote:

>What about security? If I implement this on the database server, can I
>port my application to another databse without problems?

        See above !
Many Regards.....
--
John M. Kelly

Tue, 22 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Database link'n'joining Qs

2. Oracle Stored Procedures - Procedures in Packages

3. qs?.mb files and lost data

4. SQL Server Extended Stored Procedures

5. Need examples of recordset from stored procedure with parame

6. Need examples of recordset from stored procedure with parameters

7. Centura/SQLBase stored procedures and Delphi TStoredProc

8. Trapping SQL Server stored procedure error from Delphi

9. Cannot find stored procedure

10. Q: Delphi 1.0 Client/Server and multirow fetching from Oracle 7.3 Stored Procedures

11. How to add stored procedure at runtime?

12. Stored procedure / Access Violation