Delphi & SQL Server
Author Message
 Delphi & SQL Server

I am about to write an application using Microsoft SQL Server 6.0 as the
database.  I have not heard anything really good yet on the posts about
delphi with MS-SQL Server (meaning the BDE).  Does anyone know of a
third party company providing access to the latest MS-SQL Server that
can be used as a replacement for the BDE.

--
Gus Perez

Thu, 21 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi & SQL Server

Quote:

>I am about to write an application using Microsoft SQL Server 6.0 as the
>database.  I have not heard anything really good yet on the posts about
>Delphi with MS-SQL Server (meaning the BDE).  Does anyone know of a
>third party company providing access to the latest MS-SQL Server that
>can be used as a replacement for the BDE.
>--
>Gus Perez

I read that Delphi32 will have a native-mode SQL Server driver. If so
I'd skip the BDE. Post or mail me as you progress; we're running
Watcom now but I'm unhappy with it at the moment.

Sat, 23 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi & SQL Server

Quote:
>I am about to write an application using Microsoft SQL Server 6.0 as the
>database.  I have not heard anything really good yet on the posts about
>Delphi with MS-SQL Server (meaning the BDE).  Does anyone know of a
>third party company providing access to the latest MS-SQL Server that
>can be used as a replacement for the BDE.

I think I've read somewhere that the Delphi 32 version will come with
a native driver for SQL Server (may be it concerns the client/sever
edition only, as this is the case for the current version).
I'm using Delphi16 to connect to a SQL Server database trough ODBC/BDE.
It runs fine (after a long time of struggle with both ODBC and BDE :-)

David

--

Siemens Nixdorf (SNI),     | CIS:    100337,1733
Centre Software de Lige,  | X-400:  C=BE;A=RTT;P=SCN;O=SNI;OU1=LGG1;OU2=S1

Sun, 31 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi & SQL Server

Quote:

>> >I am about to write an application using Microsoft SQL Server 6.0
as the
>> >database.  I have not heard anything really good yet on the posts
about
>> >Delphi with MS-SQL Server (meaning the BDE).  Does anyone know of a
>> >third party company providing access to the latest MS-SQL Server
that
>> >can be used as a replacement for the BDE.

>> >--
>> >Gus Perez

>> I read that Delphi32 will have a native-mode SQL Server driver. If
so
>> I'd skip the BDE. Post or mail me as you progress; we're running
>> Watcom now but I'm unhappy with it at the moment.

>Huh. As I understand it, in Borland-speak, a "native-mode" driver is a
>BDE driver, as opposed to ODBC. I don't think you can get any more
"native"
>without seriously rewriting the database parts of VCL (which are very
>dependent on BDE as I understand it).
>--

>Does the statement "It's all relative" imply absolute relativism?

1. The Client/Server edition has 'SQL Links' which are direct DBLIB
functions. This does not use the BDE.
2. Dan Daley's ODBCall components for direct ODBC connectivity work
pretty well and it's available on the Web.
3. You can write your own DBLIB API calls. Not very difficult. Header
files can be obtained from MS FTP site and they are also on various MS
CDs. NOTE: The SQL Server 6.0 toolkit is not yet available so you will
have to construct your own .LIB files.

Tue, 02 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi & SQL Server

Quote:

>1. The Client/Server edition has 'SQL Links' which are direct DBLIB
>functions. This does not use the BDE.

Are you sure? All Borland's diagrams show SQL links as going through the
BDE, not around them.

sal

Sun, 07 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi & SQL Server
:
: Are you sure? All Borland's diagrams show SQL links as going through the
: BDE, not around them.

        Yes, you are correct.  The Borland SQL Links drivers require the
BDE as well.  For what it's worth, using local Interbase on regular
Delphi uses a SQL Links driver which (obviously) is setup through the BDE.

Mike.

     Northstar Technologies                    Compuserve: 76620,2534
     Newmarket, Ontario, CANADA       WWW: http://www.io.org/~mfrisch

Tue, 09 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Delphi & SQL Server

2. Delphi & SQL Server connection

3. TBatchMove w/Delphi 2 & MS SQL Server

4. Delphi & MS-SQL Server - datefield problems

5. Delphi 2.0 & SQL SERVER 6.5

6. Delphi 4 & MS SQL Server 7

7. Delphi & MS SQL Server 6.0

8. SQL Server & Delphi

9. Need Help with Sql-Server ODBC & Delphi

10. MS SQL Server NULLS & Delphi 2 StoredProc

11. Delphi 3 & Microsoft SQL SERVER DBPROCESSES

12. ms sql server & delphi