Zipping tables
Author Message
 Zipping tables

Hi,
  We use pkzip to store paradox tables. However for a particular table
whenever we do a pack/reindex it stuffs up the compression. Instead of
getting 80% we get 0% and only save about 1k on a 5meg table! I tried to
pack this with ARJ aswell and the same thing happens. Any suggestions?
Brett Johansen.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Zipping tables

My guess is that the data in the table is not compressable. So no
suggestions available.

Timo

Quote:

>Hi,
>  We use pkzip to store paradox tables. However for a particular table
>whenever we do a pack/reindex it stuffs up the compression. Instead of
>getting 80% we get 0% and only save about 1k on a 5meg table! I tried to
>pack this with ARJ aswell and the same thing happens. Any suggestions?
>Brett Johansen.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Zipping tables

Hi Brett,

Is that PDX table by chance encoded with a password? If so, its a waste of
time trying to pack it because it's contents have been scrambled.

Regards,

Patrick

Quote:
> Hi,
>   We use pkzip to store paradox tables. However for a particular table
> whenever we do a pack/reindex it stuffs up the compression. Instead of
> getting 80% we get 0% and only save about 1k on a 5meg table! I tried to
> pack this with ARJ aswell and the same thing happens. Any suggestions?
> Brett Johansen.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Zipping tables

Quote:

>Hi,
>  We use pkzip to store paradox tables. However for a particular table
>whenever we do a pack/reindex it stuffs up the compression. Instead of
>getting 80% we get 0% and only save about 1k on a 5meg table! I tried to
>pack this with ARJ aswell and the same thing happens. Any suggestions?
>Brett Johansen.

  I will answer my own question if anybody is interested. By removing the
password protection on the table everthing compresses normally. It obviously
encrypts the data with random chars thus stuffing up compression algorithms.
Brett.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Mysterious problem with SQL or Tables - sqlprob.zip (1/1)

2. Mysterious problem with SQL or Tables - sqlprob.zip (0/1)

3. tsfaq48.zip and tsfaq49.zip

4. tpunzip.zip Code to decompress zipped files, S.Goehler, G.Brown

5. Millisecond Timing /where is qwktimer.zip or bonus507.zip

6. rpcrt100.zip Optimized TP50/TP55/TP6/BP7 CRT Unit

7. heap6.zip Heap Management for Turbo Pascal

8. HEAP55.ZIP - Is there a later version?

9. Zip Creation!!!

10. Announce Browse and Zip

11. Canadian Zip Code DB

12. lfn110.zip TP6+ Support of long filenames