MS SQL Server - ODBC vs SQL Links
Author Message
 MS SQL Server - ODBC vs SQL Links

Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 08:45:13 -0500

Newsgroups: comp.lang.Pascal.delphi.databases
Subject: MS SQL Server - ODBC vs SQL Links

I am in the process of developing an application using delphi
that uses data from MS SQL Server.  What are people's
experiences with ODBC vs SQL Links?  I seem to recall
having read that the SQL link for MS SQL Server does not
work all that great.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Stewart White
--
GO VOLS!!!

Sat, 03 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 MS SQL Server - ODBC vs SQL Links

Hi Stewart,

Quote:

> I am in the process of developing an application using Delphi
> that uses data from MS SQL Server.  What are people's
> experiences with ODBC vs SQL Links?  I seem to recall
> having read that the SQL link for MS SQL Server does not
> work all that great.

Borland still has many issues (interpreted: problems) to iron out in
their SQL Links implementation - most serious SQL Server developers are
using 3rd party tools through ODBC to get to SQL Server.

SQL Server's ODBC driver is still one of the slickest, quickest and
stable drivers we have *ever* tested.  A recent benchmark from one of
our customers showed the BDE inserting rows at 5/sec while our native
ODBC implementation inserted 180/sec!

Regards,

Rob
--
Rob McGillivray
Manager: Client/server Software Development

Sun, 04 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 MS SQL Server - ODBC vs SQL Links

Quote:

>SQL Server's ODBC driver is still one of the slickest, quickest and
>stable drivers we have *ever* tested.  A recent benchmark from one of
>our customers showed the BDE inserting rows at 5/sec while our native
>ODBC implementation inserted 180/sec!

Yeah, but with the ODBC driver I get an error when I have several
tables ans queries on screen and try to roll back...

Sat, 10 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 MS SQL Server - ODBC vs SQL Links

Hi Jeroen,

Quote:

> >SQL Server's ODBC driver is still one of the slickest, quickest and
> >stable drivers we have *ever* tested.  A recent benchmark from one of
> >our customers showed the BDE inserting rows at 5/sec while our native
> >ODBC implementation inserted 180/sec!

> Yeah, but with the ODBC driver I get an error when I have several
> tables and queries on screen and try to roll back...

Yeah, but you *are* using the BDE! <g>

Regards,

Rob
--
Rob McGillivray
Manager: Client/server Software Development
DataSoft - "Voted Top Development House in South Africa - 1994"
ODBCExpress: the top ODBC data access tool for Delphi,
http://www.odbcexpress.com

Sat, 10 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Access to SQL Server ODBC vs SQL Links

2. SQL Databases - MS Sql Server 7 vs. Interbase

3. SQL Links problem with MS SQL Server

4. MS SQL Server -TCP - SQL Links

5. SQL-Link fur MS-SQL SERVER

6. SQL Links and MS SQL Server

7. SQL Links or ODBC for remote SQL servers?

8. Borland Interbase Server vs MS SQL Server

9. MS-SQL server 6.5 vs Interbase server ???

10. Delphi/Oracle 7.1 - ODBC vs SQL Links

11. Delphi 1.0 Oracle queries: SQL Links vs ODBC?

12. ODBC vs. MS SQL driver