Updating an existing database with new fields?
Author Message
 Updating an existing database with new fields?

We have a Paradox database installed with some clients which needs to have
some new fields added to it in order to conform to our next application
update.  I would like to write a simple little app which will modify the
table structure to add the new fields.  Does anyone have any examples on a
good way to do this?  A pre-written, script driven utility to manipulate
database structures would be ideal, but some code examples so that I can
write this one time conversion utility would be welcome also.  Ideas
anyone?  (BTW, if possible, please respond ASAP, I need to have something
by the end of next week!)

--
David S. Becker
ADP Dealer Services (Plaza R&D)

(503)402-3236

Sun, 20 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Updating an existing database with new fields?

Quote:
> We have a Paradox database installed with some clients which needs to

have
[snip]

Never mind.  I've resorted to renaming the existing table, copying in new
blank templates, then stepping through the FieldDefs of the old table to
find out field names, and using FieldByName() to move records from the old
table to the new one.  Kinda lame if you ask me, but it works.  I would
still like to know a more elegant way to do it!

--
David S. Becker
ADP Dealer Services (Plaza R&D)

(503)402-3236

Sun, 20 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Updating an existing database with new fields?

Quote:
>We have a Paradox database installed with some clients which needs to have
>some new fields added to it in order to conform to our next application
>update.

....snip....

I have done this thru an ExecSQL using 'ALTER TABLE....

It works but is very slow on large tables.  I need a better way.

Mon, 21 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Add a new Database field to a already-existing Paradox table at RUNTIME

2. Adding a New Field to an existing Database Table

3. adding a new field to existing table

4. How to update an existing database?

5. Copying database tables to new tables (haviing new fields)

6. How to append fields to existing tables, without damageing the existing data

7. HELP: Update of new Interbase fields fails!!

8. Updating database structures with new program versions

9. Delphi 2.0 Update - Problems with the new BDE that comes with the update

10. Unable to update database fields

11. Updating a Database field in Code.

12. Adding new fields to a database How?