Advice on two-PC network application
Author Message
 Advice on two-PC network application

Hello everybody,
my problem is about choosing the right dev. tool and database to build a
(sort of) client/server application. My constraints are:
- data must reside on 1 PC
- PCs are connected via modem
- lowest cost possible
- application should have an offline working mode

I have experience with many tools including Delphi, Lotus Notes, VB, C,
PowerBuilder, Approach, Oracle and other SQL stuff. Little knowledge of
Access, Windev, dBase, Paradox.

What would you suggest as a cheap solution for a two-PC application ?
My choice is Lotus Notes because I feel confortable with the product but
customer doesn't like the interface.
PowerBuilder is my second choice since it allows inline SQL but it has an
integrated Watcom engine which I don't know if it works on a networked
environment, same thing for delphi and other.
Someone suggested Access in a file sharing situation.

Please suggest your solution and cc: to my mail address ->

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Advice on two-PC network application

The SQL Anywhere (the PB5 name for Watcom) engine allows only one user to
connect to a datasource at a time.  However, that datasource can be on any
drive, even networked ones.

--
Daryl E. Anderson, Sr., CPD-P

Quote:

> Hello everybody,
> my problem is about choosing the right dev. tool and database to build a
> (sort of) client/server application. My constraints are:
> - data must reside on 1 PC
> - PCs are connected via modem
> - lowest cost possible
> - application should have an offline working mode

> I have experience with many tools including Delphi, Lotus Notes, VB, C,
> PowerBuilder, Approach, Oracle and other SQL stuff. Little knowledge of
> Access, Windev, dBase, Paradox.

> What would you suggest as a cheap solution for a two-PC application ?
> My choice is Lotus Notes because I feel confortable with the product but
> customer doesn't like the interface.
> PowerBuilder is my second choice since it allows inline SQL but it has an
> integrated Watcom engine which I don't know if it works on a networked
> environment, same thing for Delphi and other.
> Someone suggested Access in a file sharing situation.

> Please suggest your solution and cc: to my mail address ->

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Advice on two-PC network application

Quote:

> Hello everybody,
> my problem is about choosing the right dev. tool and database to build a
> (sort of) client/server application. My constraints are:
> - data must reside on 1 PC
> - PCs are connected via modem
> - lowest cost possible
> - application should have an offline working mode

> I have experience with many tools including Delphi, Lotus Notes, VB, C,
> PowerBuilder, Approach, Oracle and other SQL stuff. Little knowledge of
> Access, Windev, dBase, Paradox.

> What would you suggest as a cheap solution for a two-PC application ?
> My choice is Lotus Notes because I feel confortable with the product but
> customer doesn't like the interface.
> PowerBuilder is my second choice since it allows inline SQL but it has an
> integrated Watcom engine which I don't know if it works on a networked
> environment, same thing for Delphi and other.
> Someone suggested Access in a file sharing situation.

> Please suggest your solution and cc: to my mail address ->

Delphi to create the interfaces and using Paradox tables.  I would suggest
LIBS (Local InterBase Server), however you stipulated that you wanted the
cheepest method, and LIBS will cost your end-user an extra license fee to
connect both workstations at once, since you may only distribute LIBS free
with one access license, any extras cost.  If your app is only going to be
used by two clients, Paradox will work wonderfully, and you don't have
licensing issues to hurdle.

This combination will give you the quickest running app, developed in the
shortest amount of time, costing your end-user the least amount possible.

--
=======================================

There are only so many hours in the day!  I boycott all companies that send
unsolicited email (SPAM) to me.

SPAMMERS are VIRTUAL BUZZARDS hovering about the 'net looking for decaying
matter to make meals on.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Advice on a database application

2. Installing database applications on a PC without Delphi

3. Syncronizing two Delphi Applications

4. Two seperate applications using the same database...refresh problem..help please

5. How to use two Printer in a Network

6. Delphi: How ro use two Printer in a Network

7. How to use two Printer in a Network

8. Delphi: How ro use two Printer in a Network

9. Need help: Cannot get multi-user D3 application running on my network

10. How to write network-database applications??

11. Delphi 4 Network Application

12. Delphi database application on a Novell network.