Delphi 2 & Oracle 7 Connection Problems
Author Message
 Delphi 2 & Oracle 7 Connection Problems

I have tried to connect to a server Oracle 7 with delphi 2 from a Windows 95
client using the BDE running through a Novell 4.1 net with SPX/IPX protocol.
I did my tests over an ORACLE 7.1.3.3 and ORACLE 7.2.2.0 and in both cases the
error was the same: Vendor Initialization failed ORANT71.DLL
I had no problem in connecting from any ORACLE tool through SQL*NET v 1.1.8.0 and
SQL*NET 2.2.2.0.3A (installed in my client)

I have tried changing the ORANT71.DLL by the ORA72WIN.DLL, ORA71WIN.DLL and
ORA7WIN.DLL and the same error occurred. (DLL which comes in the Required Support
Files 7.1.4.0.9, 7.2.2.0.1.

I have also tried changing the ORANT71.DLL by the ORA72.DLL that comes with the
Personal Oracle 95 (from Required Support Files 7.2.2.3.1) through SERVER 7.2.2.0
and in that case the error was: ORA03121 No interface Driver Connect.Function not
Performed.

I have had no problems when connecting with the Personal Oracle 95, the problem
appears with the base in a Server Oracle7.

Gustavo Osvaldo Berrio

Buenos Aires - ARGENTINA

Sat, 19 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi 2 & Oracle 7 Connection Problems

Quote:
> Delphi 2 & Oracle 7 Connection Problems

> I have tried to connect to a server Oracle 7 with Delphi 2 from a Windows 95
> client using the BDE running through a Novell 4.1 net with SPX/IPX protocol.
> I did my tests over an ORACLE 7.1.3.3 and ORACLE 7.2.2.0 and in both cases the
> error was the same: Vendor Initialization failed ORANT71.DLL
> I had no problem in connecting from any ORACLE tool through SQL*NET v 1.1.8.0 and
> SQL*NET 2.2.2.0.3A (installed in my client)

> I have tried changing the ORANT71.DLL by the ORA72WIN.DLL, ORA71WIN.DLL and
> ORA7WIN.DLL and the same error occurred. (DLL which comes in the Required Support
> Files 7.1.4.0.9, 7.2.2.0.1.

> I have also tried changing the ORANT71.DLL by the ORA72.DLL that comes with the
> Personal Oracle 95 (from Required Support Files 7.2.2.3.1) through SERVER 7.2.2.0
> and in that case the error was: ORA03121 No interface Driver Connect.Function not
> Performed.

> I have had no problems when connecting with the Personal Oracle 95, the problem
> appears with the base in a Server Oracle7.

I think you're almost there: ora72.dll is the right one according to
the docs (although I use ociw32.dll for some reasons). You need to set
the protocol to TNS (and not SPX/IPX or whatever else) and your
server-name to what you typed when running SQL*NET Easy Configuration.

Good luck!

Jasper

PS: please take into consideration
- when replying, I just think I know;
- when asking, be sure that I don't.

Sun, 20 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi 2 & Oracle 7 Connection Problems

It seems the problem is that Novell does not have a 32 bit SPX/PX
driver so ya gota try something else...

Regards Robert Allen Schambach

Quote:

> Delphi 2 & Oracle 7 Connection Problems

> I have tried to connect to a server Oracle 7 with Delphi 2 from a Windows 95
> client using the BDE running through a Novell 4.1 net with SPX/IPX protocol.
> I did my tests over an ORACLE 7.1.3.3 and ORACLE 7.2.2.0 and in both cases the
> error was the same: Vendor Initialization failed ORANT71.DLL
> I had no problem in connecting from any ORACLE tool through SQL*NET v 1.1.8.0 and
> SQL*NET 2.2.2.0.3A (installed in my client)

> I have tried changing the ORANT71.DLL by the ORA72WIN.DLL, ORA71WIN.DLL and
> ORA7WIN.DLL and the same error occurred. (DLL which comes in the Required Support
> Files 7.1.4.0.9, 7.2.2.0.1.

> I have also tried changing the ORANT71.DLL by the ORA72.DLL that comes with the
> Personal Oracle 95 (from Required Support Files 7.2.2.3.1) through SERVER 7.2.2.0
> and in that case the error was: ORA03121 No interface Driver Connect.Function not
> Performed.

> I have had no problems when connecting with the Personal Oracle 95, the problem
> appears with the base in a Server Oracle7.

> Gustavo Osvaldo Berrio

> Buenos Aires - ARGENTINA

Mon, 21 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi 2 & Oracle 7 Connection Problems

Is that what the problem is? I am getting the same error when I try to connect
Delphi 2 to my Oracle 7 database.  I had Delphi 1, and had no problems.  Now I
get this message about ORANT71.DLL, which is nowhere to be found on my PC.
I've tried reloading Delphi 2, as well as remove Delphi 1 (since I could no
longer connect thru there either).  If anyone has any ideas as to what can be
done to get Delphi 2 to talk to an Oracle DB, I would appreciate any help. :)

Thanks,
Ed

says...

Quote:

>It seems the problem is that Novell does not have a 32 bit SPX/PX
>driver so ya gota try something else...

>Regards Robert Allen Schambach

>> Delphi 2 & Oracle 7 Connection Problems

>> I have tried to connect to a server Oracle 7 with Delphi 2 from a Windows 95
>> client using the BDE running through a Novell 4.1 net with SPX/IPX protocol.
>> I did my tests over an ORACLE 7.1.3.3 and ORACLE 7.2.2.0 and in both cases
the
>> error was the same: Vendor Initialization failed ORANT71.DLL
>> I had no problem in connecting from any ORACLE tool through SQL*NET v
1.1.8.0 and
>> SQL*NET 2.2.2.0.3A (installed in my client)

>> I have tried changing the ORANT71.DLL by the ORA72WIN.DLL, ORA71WIN.DLL and
>> ORA7WIN.DLL and the same error occurred. (DLL which comes in the Required
Support
>> Files 7.1.4.0.9, 7.2.2.0.1.

>> I have also tried changing the ORANT71.DLL by the ORA72.DLL that comes with
the
>> Personal Oracle 95 (from Required Support Files 7.2.2.3.1) through SERVER
7.2.2.0
>> and in that case the error was: ORA03121 No interface Driver

Connect.Function not

>> Performed.

>> I have had no problems when connecting with the Personal Oracle 95, the
problem
>> appears with the base in a Server Oracle7.

>> Gustavo Osvaldo Berrio

>> Buenos Aires - ARGENTINA

Sat, 26 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi 2 & Oracle 7 Connection Problems

Quote:
> Is that what the problem is? I am getting the same error when I try to connect
> Delphi 2 to my Oracle 7 database.  I had Delphi 1, and had no problems.  Now I
> get this message about ORANT71.DLL, which is nowhere to be found on my PC.
> I've tried reloading Delphi 2, as well as remove Delphi 1 (since I could no
> longer connect thru there either).  If anyone has any ideas as to what can be
> done to get Delphi 2 to talk to an Oracle DB, I would appreciate any help. :)

I did not see the original message but try ORA72.DLL.  That's what we did
and it worked.

Sat, 26 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi 2 & Oracle 7 Connection Problems

Quote:

> Is that what the problem is? I am getting the same error when I try to connect
> Delphi 2 to my Oracle 7 database.  I had Delphi 1, and had no problems.  Now I
> get this message about ORANT71.DLL, which is nowhere to be found on my PC.
> I've tried reloading Delphi 2, as well as remove Delphi 1 (since I could no
> longer connect thru there either).  If anyone has any ideas as to what can be
> done to get Delphi 2 to talk to an Oracle DB, I would appreciate any help. :)

> Thanks,
> Ed

Ed,

There is a VERY helpful article in th TechInfo section of www.borland.com for
connecting Delphi 2 to Oracle. This article was the only way we got the 32 bit
BDE working with Oracle. It also has information for Sybase and MS SQL Server.

     Principal Operations Research Analyst
     Yallourn Energy                               Tel: +61 3 9207 7719
     9 Floor / 114 William Street                  Fax: +61 3 9606 0742
     Melbourne 3000, Australia
     PGP fingerprint = BC 53 BE 16 43 C5 BB 50  B7 9F 3D D8 49 CA 0C A0

Sun, 27 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi 2 & Oracle 7 Connection Problems

Hmm, I don't have either dll's (orant71 or ora72), but after reading the
techinfo pages recommended by Harley (thanks!), it looks like I need to get the
latest SQL*Net.  I hadn't because our resident Oracle 'expert' told me there
were no 32-bit versions of SQL*Net.  But it sounds like there is.  So, I will
try to get my hands on that, and see if that solves my probs. Thanks for all
the help...any other opinions/suggestions are always welcome! :)

Ed

Quote:

>> Is that what the problem is? I am getting the same error when I try to
connect
>> Delphi 2 to my Oracle 7 database.  I had Delphi 1, and had no problems.  Now
>> get this message about ORANT71.DLL, which is nowhere to be found on my PC.
>> I've tried reloading Delphi 2, as well as remove Delphi 1 (since I could no
>> longer connect thru there either).  If anyone has any ideas as to what can
be
>> done to get Delphi 2 to talk to an Oracle DB, I would appreciate any help.
:)

>I did not see the original message but try ORA72.DLL.  That's what we did
>and it worked.

Sun, 27 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi 2 & Oracle 7 Connection Problems

Quote:

>Hmm, I don't have either dll's (orant71 or ora72), but after reading the
>techinfo pages recommended by Harley (thanks!), it looks like I need to get the
>latest SQL*Net.  I hadn't because our resident Oracle 'expert' told me there

I've Called Borland, they said you need SQL*net version 2, although I
had this version, the connection between oracle and delphi isn't
available. I Still got the message about ORANT71.DLL

Regards,
Remko

Quote:
>were no 32-bit versions of SQL*Net.  But it sounds like there is.  So, I will
>try to get my hands on that, and see if that solves my probs. Thanks for all
>the help...any other opinions/suggestions are always welcome! :)
>Ed

>>> Is that what the problem is? I am getting the same error when I try to
>connect
>>> Delphi 2 to my Oracle 7 database.  I had Delphi 1, and had no problems.  Now
>>> get this message about ORANT71.DLL, which is nowhere to be found on my PC.
>>> I've tried reloading Delphi 2, as well as remove Delphi 1 (since I could no
>>> longer connect thru there either).  If anyone has any ideas as to what can
>be
>>> done to get Delphi 2 to talk to an Oracle DB, I would appreciate any help.
>:)

>>I did not see the original message but try ORA72.DLL.  That's what we did
>>and it worked.

Mon, 28 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi 2 & Oracle 7 Connection Problems

Quote:

>> Is that what the problem is? I am getting the same error when I try to connect
>> Delphi 2 to my Oracle 7 database.  I had Delphi 1, and had no problems.  Now I
>> get this message about ORANT71.DLL, which is nowhere to be found on my PC.
>> I've tried reloading Delphi 2, as well as remove Delphi 1 (since I could no
>> longer connect thru there either).  If anyone has any ideas as to what can be
>> done to get Delphi 2 to talk to an Oracle DB, I would appreciate any help. :)

>> Thanks,
>> Ed
>Ed,
>There is a VERY helpful article in th TechInfo section of www.borland.com for
>connecting Delphi 2 to Oracle. This article was the only way we got the 32 bit
>BDE working with Oracle. It also has information for Sybase and MS SQL Server.

Where can I find the mentioned document. I've searched at the
technical info but i can't find it.

>--

>     Principal Operations Research Analyst
>     Yallourn Energy                               Tel: +61 3 9207 7719
>     9 Floor / 114 William Street                  Fax: +61 3 9606 0742
>     Melbourne 3000, Australia
>     PGP fingerprint = BC 53 BE 16 43 C5 BB 50  B7 9F 3D D8 49 CA 0C A0

Mon, 28 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi 2 & Oracle 7 Connection Problems

You need Sql*Net 2 (they won't support version 1 anymore, I believe) but it's
which version of SQL*Net.  I was getting the error when using SQL*Net that
works in Windows 3.1 (16-bit).  I've been told by a few that they have gotten
Delphi 2 to talk to an Oracle db with the 16-bit software, but I had no luck.

I got the 32-bit SQL*Net 2 (for Windows NT) and loaded it.  Once I had that,
all it took was the standard black art of configuring it (light candles, change
TNSNAMES.ORA, ring bell).  Now Delphi 2 talks to my database. *yay!*  The doc's
that Harley pointed out on Borland's web page were very helpful.  Thanks for
everyone's help.  Now I can do some real work.... :)

Ed

Quote:

>>Hmm, I don't have either dll's (orant71 or ora72), but after reading the
>>techinfo pages recommended by Harley (thanks!), it looks like I need to get
the
>>latest SQL*Net.  I hadn't because our resident Oracle 'expert' told me there

>I've Called Borland, they said you need SQL*net version 2, although I
>had this version, the connection between oracle and delphi isn't
>available. I Still got the message about ORANT71.DLL

>Regards,
>Remko

>>were no 32-bit versions of SQL*Net.  But it sounds like there is.  So, I will
>>try to get my hands on that, and see if that solves my probs. Thanks for all
>>the help...any other opinions/suggestions are always welcome! :)

>>Ed

>>connect
Now
>>be
>>:)

>>>I did not see the original message but try ORA72.DLL.  That's what we did
>>>and it worked.

Mon, 28 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi 2 & Oracle 7 Connection Problems

Quote:

> I've Called Borland, they said you need SQL*net version 2, although I
> had this version, the connection between oracle and delphi isn't
> available. I Still got the message about ORANT71.DLL

The message is hardcoded.  But actually what you should use is
ORA72.DLL.  And you should include the extension (not simply ORA72).

If you still have a problem, perhaps we can compare notes.  Can you
connect using SQL*PLUS 32 (not 16) at all?

Lito

Mon, 28 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi 2 & Oracle 7 Connection Problems

Quote:

>> I've Called Borland, they said you need SQL*net version 2, although I
>> had this version, the connection between oracle and delphi isn't
>> available. I Still got the message about ORANT71.DLL

>The message is hardcoded.  But actually what you should use is
>ORA72.DLL.  And you should include the extension (not simply ORA72).
>If you still have a problem, perhaps we can compare notes.  Can you
>connect using SQL*PLUS 32 (not 16) at all?
>Lito

We don't have problems connecting to the Oracle database with SQL*PLUS
from the client.

The only problem we have, is connecting with Delphi 2.0
I will try the installation of Oracle again, useing the notes of
Harley

Tue, 29 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Delphi 2 & Oracle 7 connection problems

2. Delphi & Personal Oracle 7.3 Connection Problem

3. Delphi/Oracle Connection Problems

4. Delphi/Oracle Connection Problems (2)

5. Delphi/Oracle Connection Problems - Thanks

6. SYBASE & Delphi Connection Problems

7. Delphi 2.01 & Oracle problem

8. An Oracle-BDE connection problem

9. Oracle connection problem