BDE: Capability not supported token: NESTED SELECT (when using Paradox files, works with Interbase)
Author Message
 BDE: Capability not supported token: NESTED SELECT (when using Paradox files, works with Interbase)

When I use a sub query like:

SELECT ITEMNO, ORDERNO FROM :MASTSQL:ITEMS WHERE ORDERNO IN
  (SELECT ORDERNO FROM ORDERS)

and use dBase or Paradox files I get the message:
Capability not supported token: NESTED SELECT

When I use an Interbase database it works.

I though that the BDE should allow the same SQL for all connected data
base systems, or do I get this wrong  ????

I use delphi 1.0 under Windows 95.

Otto Leliveld.

Sat, 16 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 BDE: Capability not supported token: NESTED SELECT (when using Paradox files, works with Interbase)

Quote:
> I though that the BDE should allow the same SQL for all connected data
> base systems, or do I get this wrong  ????

Different database engines support different subsets of SQL. When you pass
a SQL expression to the database, you are doing just that... passing it to
the database. Delphi itself doesn't process the SQL query, the database
does. That's why something that works with one engine, might not work with
a different engine.

Electric Dreams - http://www.electricdreams.com
Delphi DB, C/S, Tips and Tricks, and Help Lists

Sat, 16 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 BDE: Capability not supported token: NESTED SELECT (when using Paradox files, works with Interbase)

Quote:

> When I use a sub query like:

> SELECT ITEMNO, ORDERNO FROM :MASTSQL:ITEMS WHERE ORDERNO IN
>   (SELECT ORDERNO FROM ORDERS)

> and use dBase or Paradox files I get the message:
> Capability not supported token: NESTED SELECT

> When I use an Interbase database it works.

> I though that the BDE should allow the same SQL for all connected data
> base systems, or do I get this wrong  ????

> I use Delphi 1.0 under Windows 95.

> Otto Leliveld.

I also had the same problem and couldn't solve it. The following SQL will do the same:
 SELECT :MASTSQL:ITEMS.ITEMNO, :MASTSQL:ITEMS.ORDERNO FROM :MASTSQL:ITEMS
   WHERE :MASTSQL:ITEMS.ORDERNO = :MASTSQL:ORDERS.ORDERNO

Sun, 17 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 BDE: Capability not supported token: NESTED SELECT (when using Paradox files, works with Interbase)

When I use a sub query like:

SELECT ITEMNO, ORDERNO FROM :MASTSQL:ITEMS WHERE ORDERNO IN
  (SELECT ORDERNO FROM ORDERS)

and use dBase or Paradox files I get the message:
Capability not supported token: NESTED SELECT

When I use an Interbase database it works.

I though that the BDE should allow the same SQL for all connected data
base systems, or do I get this wrong  ????

I use Delphi 1.0 under Windows 95.

Otto Leliveld.

Sun, 17 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 BDE: Capability not supported token: NESTED SELECT (when using Paradox files, works with Interbase)

Quote:

> When I use a sub query like:

> SELECT ITEMNO, ORDERNO FROM :MASTSQL:ITEMS WHERE ORDERNO IN
>   (SELECT ORDERNO FROM ORDERS)

> and use dBase or Paradox files I get the message:
> Capability not supported token: NESTED SELECT

> When I use an Interbase database it works.

> I though that the BDE should allow the same SQL for all connected data
> base systems, or do I get this wrong  ????

> I use Delphi 1.0 under Windows 95.

> Otto Leliveld.

See Local SQL in delphi helpfile.

Magnus

Mon, 18 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 BDE: Capability not supported token: NESTED SELECT (when using Paradox files, works with Interbase)

Quote:

> and use dBase or Paradox files I get the message:
> Capability not supported token: NESTED SELECT

  It says its not supported.  I read your message and the others reply to it, as I'm
suffering from the same problem.  This just plain sucks.  The only thing I can think of
(I'm just about to try it), is to use "CREATE TABLE" to create a table for the nested
(or subquery), and then just use AND to join the new table with your first table.
  If you find information to the contrary, I'd love to hear it.  I have been banging my
head for some time on this problem, and need a solution (if the above does work, it's
still going to be slow!).  Good luck!

| (519) 862-4563                  http://www2.ebtech.net/~lambert |

Mon, 18 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 BDE: Capability not supported token: NESTED SELECT (when using Paradox files, works with Interbase)

(Otto Leliveld), the following was written:

Quote:
> SELECT ITEMNO, ORDERNO FROM :MASTSQL:ITEMS WHERE ORDERNO IN
> (SELECT ORDERNO FROM ORDERS)

> and use dBase or Paradox files I get the message:
> Capability not supported token: NESTED SELECT

> When I use an Interbase database it works.

> I though that the BDE should allow the same SQL for all connected data
> base systems, or do I get this wrong  ????

> I use Delphi 1.0 under Windows 95.

This will not work with Delphi 1.0.  Interbase is SQL-92 compliant and
handles nested selects.

God Bless,

--

07/31/96 20:40
---------

Mon, 18 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 BDE: Capability not supported token: NESTED SELECT (when using Paradox files, works with Interbase)

Quote:

> When I use a sub query like:
> SELECT ITEMNO, ORDERNO FROM :MASTSQL:ITEMS WHERE ORDERNO IN
>   (SELECT ORDERNO FROM ORDERS)
> and use dBase or Paradox files I get the message:
> Capability not supported token: NESTED SELECT

> When I use an Interbase database it works.
> I though that the BDE should allow the same SQL for all connected data
> base systems, or do I get this wrong  ????
> I use Delphi 1.0 under Windows 95.
> Otto Leliveld.

If you are using Local SQL You CAN'T use nested queries, but you can do :
  ( n - nested selects)
do single the most nested (n) query - save result in table
do n-1 select - save result in table ...... and so on

I don't know if i am clear, but .....

EXAMPLE : do select orderno from orders, copy records from query to table1
do select A.itemno, A.orderno from :MASTSQL:ITEMS A, table1 T where
t.orderno = A.orderno

Cheers Mike

Tue, 19 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 BDE: Capability not supported token: NESTED SELECT (when using Paradox files, works with Interbase)

Quote:

>When I use a sub query like:
>I though that the BDE should allow the same SQL for all connected data
>base systems, or do I get this wrong  ????

Yes, you are...

The main adventage of the BDE it has a nice way of 'type mapping' the
different fieldtypes in the different database types...

the BDE has a 'local SQL' subset of the ANSI SQL, as described in the
Help documentation. Using this SQL should work similar
cross-db-platform.. But when your RDBMS has it's own SQL capabilities,
the BDE passes the request to the RDBMS. It is optional to configure
the BDE it does NOT do it this way (and never pass it to the RDBMS)
but that is v..e..r..y....  s..l..o..w...
When the SQL request is passed to the RDBMS BDE does not interpretate
anything of it... so the RDBMS is responsible for the resultset...

And now it gets interesting... because several RDBMS-es also have some
differences... for example how the NULL value has to be
interpretated...

for an SQL Statement like
  SELECT * FROM SOMETABLE WHERE SOMEFIELD <> 'SOMEVAL'
most RDBMS-es will return the subset of al rows where SOMEFIELD has an
actual value unequal to 'SOMEVAL'. Rows with a NULL value for
SOMEFIELD will not be returned, because NULL is not considered to be a
value...
some RDBMS-es however do consider NULL as a value too and return a
subset of all rows unequal to SOMEFIELD = 'SOMEVAL', including the
NULL values for SOMEFIELD...

There are more 'incompatible' SQL results when you compare several
versions of SQL Implementation... Above is only an example...

Wilko van der Ploeg
ATDT Consultancy
The Netherlands
homepage : http://www.xs4all.nl/~atdt

Tue, 19 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 BDE: Capability not supported token: NESTED SELECT (when using Paradox files, works with Interbase)

OL> When I use a sub query like:

OL> SELECT ITEMNO, ORDERNO FROM :MASTSQL:ITEMS WHERE ORDERNO IN
OL>   (SELECT ORDERNO FROM ORDERS)

OL> Capability not supported token: NESTED SELECT

OL> I though that the BDE should allow the same SQL for all connected data
OL> base systems, or do I get this wrong  ????

IMO the problem is with the SQL implementation of the various drivers that
are used. If you're going to use the same app on different databases, you
will *always* have problems with incompatible SQL between the database
systems.

For example, dBASE and Access do not support VIEWS. Oracle's, Informix's and
SQL-Server's SQL also differs substantially when it comes to more complex
SQL statements (especially when it does date processing/conversion).

So I would not blame the BDE... <not in this case anyway!> :-)

regards,
Billy

 * RM 1.31  * Eval Day 49 *

Sat, 23 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Workaround for 'nested selects not supported'?

2. Capability Not supported.....why not?

3. Nested SELECT not allowed?

4. Capability Not Supported Error

5. capability not supported

6. Error: 'Capability not supported'

7. capability not supported

8. Capability Not Supported, Delphi 4, Oracle 8

9. "capability not supported" w/MSAccess DB

10. Capability not supported - runtime only???

11. capability not supported

12. SQL capability not supported