Paradox or Interbase, how to decide which databse to use
Author Message
 Paradox or Interbase, how to decide which databse to use

I have to decide wich database to use for a delphi project.
The choise is between paradox and interbase.

The project will have two different versions,
a stand alone and later also a client/server version.

The record length of the biggest data consuming table is about 30
bytes but the number of records will be between 20,000 up to
2,000,000.

Who can tel me when to use paradox and/or interbase.

Do i need to use the client/server version of delphi if i use
the client/server version of interbase or can i use the delphi
professional version together with the client/server version of
interbase.

Thanks Ren Morseld.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Paradox or Interbase, how to decide which databse to use

Quote:

> I have to decide wich database to use for a delphi project.
> The choise is between paradox and interbase.

> The project will have two different versions,
> a stand alone and later also a client/server version.

> The record length of the biggest data consuming table is about 30
> bytes but the number of records will be between 20,000 up to
> 2,000,000.

> Who can tel me when to use paradox and/or interbase.

> Do i need to use the client/server version of delphi if i use
> the client/server version of interbase or can i use the delphi
> professional version together with the client/server version of
> interbase.

I'm pretty much going with Interbase for everything new, now.  The
reason is that a trustworthy client/server product cuts out a lot of
your potential for data-corruption.  It also reduces network traffic and
improves concurrency.  Interbase IS a trustworthy product, IMHO, and its
license-fees are reasonable.  Furthermore, it is completely scalable:
the only thing different from one "version" to another is the license
codes.

If you simply want to deploy a "fat client" IB, then you can use Delphi
3 Developer, or you can buy the product separately from Interbase, Inc.
which is probably actually a little bit better.  If you want to use some
of Borland's "thin client" technologies then you need the c/s version.

You will also need to contact IB, Inc. for information on licensing
copies of Interbase to distribute with your product.

Yeah, I know... 'ouch!'  The pricing structure Borland has now, frankly,
sucks.  :-/  And it hurts worse because the prices involved are big
ones. But it's a "cost of goods sold" and ultimately I think you should
make those investments.  Once you have the product you use it for a lot
of things.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. How to decide an optimum Paradox relational structure

2. Changing access privileges on Interbase databse

3. using a MS Access databse with Delphi 5

4. BDE: Capability not supported token: NESTED SELECT (when using Paradox files, works with Interbase)

5. Using Interbase/Paradox with II 3.0

6. InterBase : Using Interbase on a Windows 95 network

7. Please help me decide which pascal

8. Help -- Interbase Performance moving from paradox --> Interbase

9. TBatchMove / Creating a databse table at runtime?

10. databse efficiency comparison

11. UI and Databse Unit required

12. Delphi to an open Access databse