multi-user application: bde
Author Message
 multi-user application: bde

Hi all,
I am thinking of developing an application based on Paradox tables. The app
will typically be used by a small group of people (2-8 users max).
ideally one copy of the app will reside on individual pcs and the tables
on the server. if the tables are stored on the server, should each PC be
loaded with the database desktop or should that be loaded on to the
server?
Are Paradox tables a viable option for this number of users? (I want to try
to avoid using one of the more powerful databases if possible).
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Fred Troncone
Perth, WA

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 multi-user application: bde

Fred,

Hi.  Paradox should work just fine for a 2-8 user system.  We currently
use a very large application with about 12 users on a simple Lantastic
network and it is still very fast.  When you say Database Desktop, do
you mean the BDE?  If so, then you can put the BDE either on the file
server or local system, but I highly recommend putting it on the local
system if at all possible.  It keeps things much simpler.  If you really
do mean the Database Desktop (for your users to have broad access to
their data), you could put it either on the server or locally, whichever
you prefer.

- Rhett Price
Viking Gage, Inc.

Quote:

> Hi all,
> I am thinking of developing an application based on Paradox tables.
> The app
> will typically be used by a small group of people (2-8 users max).
> ideally one copy of the app will reside on individual pcs and the
> tables
> on the server. if the tables are stored on the server, should each PC
> be
> loaded with the database desktop or should that be loaded on to the
> server?
> Are Paradox tables a viable option for this number of users? (I want
> to try
> to avoid using one of the more powerful databases if possible).
> Any thoughts would be appreciated.

> Fred Troncone
> Perth, WA

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 multi-user application: bde

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 multi-user application: bde

Quote:
>Fred,

>Hi.  Paradox should work just fine for a 2-8 user system.  We currently
>use a very large application with about 12 users on a simple Lantastic
>network and it is still very fast.  When you say Database Desktop, do
>you mean the BDE?  If so, then you can put the BDE either on the file
>server or local system, but I highly recommend putting it on the local
>system if at all possible.  It keeps things much simpler.  If you really
>do mean the Database Desktop (for your users to have broad access to
>their data), you could put it either on the server or locally, whichever
>you prefer.

>- Rhett Price
>Viking Gage, Inc.

Hi Rhett, I wanted to ask you about Paradox.net and locking procedure
since I never do networking/sharing based database, can you give me
some info ?

Thanks a lot !

Sincerely,

Eddie, Indonesia.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 multi-user application: bde

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 multi-user application: bde

Quote:

> Hi Fred,
>Paradox databases are a great choice for 2-8 users (and can handle many
>more).
>I use Paradox in my office everday with 6 users. This week, I extended the
>whole thing by writing a specific Delphi app, putting the exe file on my
>novel server along with the pdox tables they accessed so users throughout
>the rest of the company could access certain data.
>I had a couple of problems:
>1) I put the BDE on the server, thinking that was all I had to do, but I
>kept getting an error on a non-Paradox user machine that "Could not
>initialize BDE". It turns out that (at least in Win 95) there has to be some
>changes to the Windows Registry to point to the BDE on the network.
>2) After fixing #1, I got another BDE problem. "could not access network
>control file". In this case, the BDE config was pointing to another
>directory on the novel server, which we use as the network control file. I
>forgot to give the new user access rights and a mapping to that directory.
>It also was not good enough to give him access to the directory, it has to
>have the same mapping as the setting in BDE. For example, say the network
>control file is I:\APP\PDOXWIN\.   I mapped the users I drive directly to
>I:\app\pdoxwin. BDE did not like this either. I had to map his I drive to
>the I root, and give him access to the subdirectories.
>For my money, Paradox is a great tool. Not too expensive, but flexible and
>powerful enough to handle many users and some pretty big tables.

Another thing I'm warming up to fast is InterBase.  Yes, there are licensing
issues but as a "trouble free it-just-runs client-server" it's pretty
unbeatable.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 multi-user application: bde

Quote:
> Hi all,
> I am thinking of developing an application based on Paradox tables. The
app
> will typically be used by a small group of people (2-8 users max).
> ideally one copy of the app will reside on individual pcs and the tables
> on the server. if the tables are stored on the server, should each PC be
> loaded with the database desktop or should that be loaded on to the
> server?
> Are Paradox tables a viable option for this number of users? (I want to
try
> to avoid using one of the more powerful databases if possible).
> Any thoughts would be appreciated.

> Fred Troncone
> Perth, WA

Hate to tell you this Fred, but you cannot put the Database Desktop on
either the workstations or the server. Your Delphi licence does not permit
it.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Multi user application

2. How to write a database multi-user application

3. Need help: Cannot get multi-user D3 application running on my network

4. Multi users database application....

5. multi users database application.....

6. One user Application to Multiuser

7. Database application for multi-users

8. Multi User application

9. Can delphi create a multi-user application

10. Multi-user application database updates...

11. !!! Multiuser Application using BDE

12. SOLUTION to network BDE Multi User Problem