HELP.....Attaching to Watcom SQL 4.0
Author Message
 HELP.....Attaching to Watcom SQL 4.0

 I'm new to {Desktop} delphi and was attempting to do some
work with a database created using PowerBuilder and Watcom SQL
4.0. I am having a problem connecting to the Watcom DB.
 Here's what I have already done:
  Setup a database profile (Sorry i do not know the exact
name, but i created ODBC_WATCOM40 that went to my database
file.
  I created a new data-aware form( using the expert ) and i
wanted to know the database( masks are *.db & *.dbf ) I chose
my watcom db file( ie. usta.db ) and an error message came up:
  Could not init IDAPI:
  Not inilialized for network file ...

  I got this same error message when i tried to use database
desktop( from Delphi's tool menu)

 I must be doing something wrong, please help.

You can post to this group, but i would also appreciate direct

BTW: Delphi is kinda cool. It seems to be more work upfront to
build an application(compared to PowerBuilder), but It seems
to be as fast a any VC++ application I have done. This is very
cool.

--
Regards,
 Ron Durham

         ( I am not a Employee of AT&T )

+-- Stuff I Do ---------------------------------+
 PowerBuilder ( OO methods )
 Win/C++
 Rational Rose/C++
 Object-Oriented Design
 TKD ( US TKD Association )

+-- Stuff I Know -------------------------------+
 I know that all views and opinions expressed
 in this post are my own and may not be shared
 by anyone else, but they are ALL MINE.

Mon, 16 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP.....Attaching to Watcom SQL 4.0

[...]

Quote:
>  I created a new data-aware form( using the expert ) and i
>wanted to know the database( masks are *.db & *.dbf ) I chose
>my watcom db file( ie. usta.db ) and an error message came up:
>  Could not init IDAPI:
>  Not inilialized for network file ...
>  I got this same error message when i tried to use database
>desktop( from Delphi's tool menu)
> I must be doing something wrong, please help.

This error in this context is usually not due to the ODBC access, but to
conflicts between the Borland Database Engine (BDE, aka IDAPI) and certain
NOS (Network Operating Systems). Conflicts of this sort, that resulted in
this error, have been resolved for known causes (LANtastic 5.x/6.x and
Windows for Workgroups) in an updated BDE. The updated BDE files can be
obtained a couple ways:

1. For just the BDE system files, download the file BDEDEMO.ZIP from the
   Delphi forum on CompuServe (GO DELPHI). This demo program includes an
   installable copy of the updated BDE. (Sorry, this file is not yet
   available on our anonymous FTP site.)

2. Order the Delphi update (version 1.02 of Delphi), which includes the
   updated BDE.

3. Install Visual dBASE (aka dBASE 5.5 for Windows), which includes this
   updated BDE.

To order the Delphi update, contact Borland's Customer Service department
at 510-354-3828 or the Order Desk at 800-331-0877.

It is also possible that this may be resolved simply by setting the NET DIR
setting in the BDE configuration (BDECFG.EXE in \IDAPI, Drivers tab page,
PARADOX driver, NET DIR setting) to a valid network or local drive and
directory.

Steve Koterski
Local InterBase Server Technical Support
Borland International, Inc.

Mon, 16 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP.....Attaching to Watcom SQL 4.0

Quote:

>>  I created a new data-aware form( using the expert ) and i
>>wanted to know the database( masks are *.db & *.dbf ) I chose
>>my watcom db file( ie. usta.db ) and an error message came up:
>>  Could not init IDAPI:
>>  Not inilialized for network file ...
> [Instructions for ordering new BDE omitted]
>It is also possible that this may be resolved simply by setting the NET DIR
>setting in the BDE configuration (BDECFG.EXE in \IDAPI, Drivers tab page,
>PARADOX driver, NET DIR setting) to a valid network or local drive and
>directory.

I think that this is what I would try first... check the NET DIR setting.

If the BDE realizes that the data is on a network drive, but that it does not
have the information it needs to do locking (e.g. location of network locking
file or "multiple .NET files in use"), then it will decline to open the
database because data-corruption could result.  It realizes that it needs to
open the data while respecting the necessary locking protocols, and also
realizes that it lacks the necessary details to do that, so it "just says no."

/mr/

Tue, 17 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP.....Attaching to Watcom SQL 4.0

First, I can use Watcom from Delphi. I am not quite sure what you did,
so  let me ask:

Quote:
>  Setup a database profile (Sorry i do not know the exact
>name, but i created ODBC_WATCOM40 that went to my database
>file.

You created a ODBC-"driver" and an alias?
Did you use you ODBC-configuration to point to your databasefile? Or
do you want to do that on runtime? I did not try the latter yet and
don't know how that would work.

What I did:

1 set up a new ODBC-stuff in the Windows ODBC-manager. I had to adapt
the configuration / startup command
2 start up BDE COnfig and configure a driver and an alias
3 save that
4 start using it......

HTH

Peter

Peter Lipp, Dept. Of Applied Information Processing
University of Technology Graz, Austria

http://www.iaik.tu-graz.ac.at

Tue, 17 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Watcom SQL 4.0 and Delphi 2.0 & ODBC

2. Watcom 4.0 w/Delphi AutoIncrement Return Value?

3. Help - Delphi 16, Watcom SQL (NetWare) and ODBC

4. Help! Delphi and Watcom SQL Problems

5. Sybase SQL Anywhere (Watcom SQL) and Delphi

6. Help: BDE 4.0 and MS SQL 6.5

7. HELP!! - SQL queries on Win NT 4.0

8. Does Delphi (BDE) work with Watcom SQL?

9. Does Delphi (BDE) work with Watcom SQL?

10. ODBC 2.0 required by Delphi and Watcom SQL?

11. Delphi, BLOBs, and Watcom SQL

12. dbInit error with Watcom SQL & Netware