Delphi 2.0 NOT 100% Windows95 Compatible
Author Message
 Delphi 2.0 NOT 100% Windows95 Compatible

I say my subject because when using Delphi2 in Win95 and Oracle
SQL*Net, Delphi/BDE is looking for ORANT71.DLL.  That's an NT Oracle
DLL, not Windows95.  Oracle puts the Win95 SQL*Net DLL's in
\ORAWIN95\BIN directory, and it's not called ORANT71.DLL.

Can't install NT's SQL*Net TCP/IP client because Oracle's install
program tries to configure the NT registry.

Also, anyone else notice the bug when setting the text's color in a
Win95 TabSheet component how the changes don't happen?

Sun, 30 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi 2.0 NOT 100% Windows95 Compatible

Quote:
>SQL*Net, Delphi/BDE is looking for ORANT71.DLL.  That's an NT Oracle
>DLL, not Windows95.  Oracle puts the Win95 SQL*Net DLL's in
>\ORAWIN95\BIN directory, and it's not called ORANT71.DLL.

There is no such thing as a Win95 app... ;-)
I choose to characterise them all as NT apps, that may depend on
Win95 specific API functions.

Quote:
>Can't install NT's SQL*Net TCP/IP client because Oracle's install
>program tries to configure the NT registry.

Sounds like it's Oracle who've gotten things mixed up, and haven't
been able to supply a generic Win32 app that properly blends in with
the operating system be it NT or Win95. From what little I've seen of
it, the Win95 registry looks an awful lot like NT's?

--
=\

=/

Sun, 30 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi 2.0 NOT 100% Windows95 Compatible

Quote:

>>There is no such thing as a Win95 app... ;-)

>Alas, alas: with Oracle, there is. Copying ORANT71.DLL from the
>NT-server to my Win95 desktop didn't do much good...

But if there are no such thing as a Win95 compiler, how can there
be Win95 apps? If you have a "Win95 app" it's still a NT app that
may or may not rely on Win95 specific API... (!)

In Delphi 2.0 (or any other compiler) which is a NT compiler, have
you seen any switches that enables you to make a Win95 app?
Since NT was here way before Win95, they are ...NT apps... (even
if they don't run under NT)

Just a matter of definition really. ;-)

--
=\

=/

Tue, 01 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi 2.0 NOT 100% Windows95 Compatible

Quote:

>>SQL*Net, Delphi/BDE is looking for ORANT71.DLL.  That's an NT Oracle
>>DLL, not Windows95.  Oracle puts the Win95 SQL*Net DLL's in
>>\ORAWIN95\BIN directory, and it's not called ORANT71.DLL.

>There is no such thing as a Win95 app... ;-)

Alas, alas: with Oracle, there is. Copying ORANT71.DLL from the
NT-server to my Win95 desktop didn't do much good...

Quote:
>I choose to characterise them all as NT apps, that may depend on
>Win95 specific API functions.
>>Can't install NT's SQL*Net TCP/IP client because Oracle's install
>>program tries to configure the NT registry.

>Sounds like it's Oracle who've gotten things mixed up,

... as always...

Now, seriously, to connect to Oracle7:
- get Oracle's 32bit drivers for Win95 (they come with Personal Oracle
for Windows 95, trial version available at www.oracle.com);
- change that ORANT71.dll to ORA72.dll or OCIW32.dll, whichever you
like best (I discovered the second one somewhat later; while the first
always starts the local database, the second does it only when
needed);
- set the SERVER NAME to whatever alias you imagined when using

- set NET PROTOCOL to TNS, or all blanks for the local database.

Good luck!

Jasper

PS: please take into consideration
- when replying, I just think I know;
- when asking, be sure that I don't.

Tue, 01 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. I need 100% BGI Compatible Ellipse

2. Sybase timestamp field not compatible with Delphi ?

3. Sybase TimeStamp not compatible with Delphi ?

4. Delphi 5 for $ 100

5. Delphi 5 for only $ 100

6. Delphi 5 for $ 100!

7. Delphi 5 for only $ 100

8. Using Interbase/Delphi for 100,000+ Record Application

9. Warning : Apollo is NOT compatible with CLIPPER

10. Delphi 2.0, BDE not refreshing

11. Delphi 2.0 c/s will not talk to MS SQL 4.21a

12. CHARACTER SET WIN_1252 not defined with Delphi 2.0