Turbo Pascal to Delphi
Author Message
 Turbo Pascal to Delphi

  I have been programming in TP7 and am new to delphi (5). My data
structure in Turbo Pascal was the usual records which were read into a
binary search tree during the exicution of the program. Now in Delphi,
do I continue to use arrays, lists, trees, etc. or do I just change my
thinking to tables via the BDE? If so, how do I convert or use my
present data from pascal in my new venture-Delphi?

Thanks. Lin

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal to Delphi

Quote:

>  I have been programming in TP7 and am new to Delphi (5). My data
>structure in Turbo Pascal was the usual records which were read into a
>binary search tree during the exicution of the program. Now in Delphi,
>do I continue to use arrays, lists, trees, etc. or do I just change my
>thinking to tables via the BDE? If so, how do I convert or use my
>present data from pascal in my new venture-Delphi?

Hello,

I think that if your data is not too big (and will not be big), then
you can stay with the present method. You have write it once, and if
it fits to the (physical) memory (e.g. max. a few 10's of megs
(today's memory sizes, tomorrow who knows...  ;-))), it will be
definitely faster than bde. If you want to upsize (networking etc.),
then it is another question.

Bye:
Circum

--
Need more drivers for linux! -- http://www.libranet.com/petition.html

/  \    _   _                                           Engrd Ferenc

\__/ | |   \_ \_/ I  I                    http://pons.sote.hu/~s-fery

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal to Delphi
It depends what do you really expect. If you are comfortable with your data
structures and routines, if it works for you and you control the whole
situation - no problem.
Keep old way. Just remember to change the record declaration to Delphi
'packed record' (otherwise Delphi will align all record structures and they
will not fint to your data files ).

However , if you feel you need more powerfull machine to maintain your data
or/and
especially if you need better 'look and feel' for your data presentation and
reporting, start thinking about BDE. Remember, BDE is great , but painful
when it goes to installation , configuration and upgarding.

Anyway, hundret of thousands developers around the world have been using BDE
with pretty positive result. Also, you have a lot of good alternatives.

Given  that your  previous tools ( binary structures ) were not that
sophisticated, DBISAM would be great step forward without BDE-headache. It
is inexpensive, very compact, configuration-less but also powerfull in the
terms of desktop databases. See their web page : http://www.elevatesoft.com/

Good luck.
Marek.

Quote:
>   I have been programming in TP7 and am new to Delphi (5). My data
> structure in Turbo Pascal was the usual records which were read into a
> binary search tree during the exicution of the program. Now in Delphi,
> do I continue to use arrays, lists, trees, etc. or do I just change my
> thinking to tables via the BDE? If so, how do I convert or use my
> present data from pascal in my new venture-Delphi?

> Thanks. Lin

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal to Delphi
I would bite the bullet and move over to a database (Paradox, DBISAM, etc).
The advantages of being able to use report writers, filters, data controls,
queries, etc. will more than make up for the initial investment.

To read a Pascal record in D5, you need to make sure you specify packed
records, also that strings are small strings, integers are small integers,
and change real type to ??? something else I don't remeber, I just had to do
one the other day, look at Help in D5 for "real". To avoid unnecessary
grief, do a SizeOf of each record in TP, and then in D5, just to make sure
they are identical.  Best approach IMO is to place all Pascal record
definitions in a single D5 unit.

Good luck,

Robert

Quote:
>   I have been programming in TP7 and am new to Delphi (5). My data
> structure in Turbo Pascal was the usual records which were read into a
> binary search tree during the exicution of the program. Now in Delphi,
> do I continue to use arrays, lists, trees, etc. or do I just change my
> thinking to tables via the BDE? If so, how do I convert or use my
> present data from pascal in my new venture-Delphi?

> Thanks. Lin

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Turbo Pascal and Delphi Questions

2. Turbo Pascal To Delphi Compatability

3. turbo pascal vs delphi

4. Turbo Pascal 7 or Educational Turbo Pascal 7

5. cgi in turbo pascal or console delphi for windows 95

6. Turbo Pascal & Delphi

7. Delphi-Turbo Pascal

8. HELP: How to read comma_delimited data, using Delphi or Turbo Pascal

9. VBX in Delphi DLL called from Turbo Pascal Win 1.5

10. Turbo Pascal for Windows versus Delphi

11. (Fwd) Turbo Pascal for Windows versus Delphi

12. Turbo Power's Turbo Professional and Free Pascal