and again: an OS in pascal
Author Message
 and again: an OS in pascal

does anyone has a clue how to create an OS in Pascal... it is possible..
the only real question how to do it.... anyone who knows a good site for
this? or any clues how to do it......

Thznkz,
Mike

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 and again: an OS in pascal
  Nothing like taking on a M1 Abrham Tank armed only with a toothpick....

  The end result tho, is No,  it's not even REMOTELY possible....

--
Jason Wallace
SL Software

--
"We are Microsoft.  Resistance is Futile.  You will be assimilated.

> does anyone has a clue how to create an OS in pascal... it is possible..
> the only real question how to do it.... anyone who knows a good site for
> this? or any clues how to do it......

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 and again: an OS in pascal
everything most be possible... and there are people who agry like this person,

I really hate to say it if it is possible in all languages. Why wouldn't it do
in pascal??
Then Pascal wouldn't have become so a lot used....

*Of course you can write an OS in PASCAL. You can write an
*OS in any language you like, although some may be more
*suitable than others. All you need is a so-called cross-
*compiler so that you can develop your OS on another machine
*(maybe running another OS on another CPU) for your target
*system. If you want to do this you might want to dive into
*the world of embedded systems where they write new OSs all
*the time and look for a PASCAL compiler for x86 processors.
*It is true that you could use Borland tools for this, but I
*don't know how it is supported today. All you have to do is
*to define your system, i.e. where the hardware is (memory,
*I/O, etc.) and compile NOT linking in the classic (DOS,
*Windows) startup/exit code, but your own. You don't want
*any .exe or .com files. And ONLY use system independent
*library functions.
*Still, a little knowledge of assembler might come in handy.
*
*Good luck.

Quote:

>   Nothing like taking on a M1 Abrham Tank armed only with a toothpick....

>   The end result tho, is No,  it's not even REMOTELY possible....

> --
> Jason Wallace
> SL Software

> --
> "We are Microsoft.  Resistance is Futile.  You will be assimilated.
> --

> > does anyone has a clue how to create an OS in pascal... it is possible..
> > the only real question how to do it.... anyone who knows a good site for
> > this? or any clues how to do it......

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 and again: an OS in pascal

For all of those who say 'you can't write an os with pascal':
the elder macos versions (at least up to 3) were written is assembler and
pascal.

stefan

Toleranz ist das unbehagliche Gefuehl,
der Andere koennte am Ende vielleicht
doch recht haben.
                        Robert Forst

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. FA: Virtual Pascal for OS/2, RexxVIM for OS/2

2. Visual Pascal for OS/2, now at Pascal Central

3. Visual Pascal for OS/2, now at Pascal Central

4. OS in pascal

5. Making binary files in pascal for an OS

6. Borland Pascal problem running under DOS OS/2 session

7. 32 bit Pascal version & special O.S.

8. Os in Pascal

9. Free pascal for OS development problem

10. Pascal better than C Was: Writing OS

11. Real-Time OS (Pascal project)

12. Think Pascal and OS 8.6