BDE vs ADO performance
Author Message
 BDE vs ADO performance

I have converted my Paradox (.db) database to a ms access database
(.mdb). I wrote a small program to test the performance with both BDE
and ADOexpress. I was somewhat suprised that ADOexpress accessing the
.MDB file took 10 times more then BDE accessing the .DB file. I also
downloaded Diamond ADO, but this was even slower. Probably this is a
known issue for most of you. Did I do something wrong?  Are there
solutions to this problem?

Any help would be appreciated,

Wim Pool

Sat, 25 Oct 2003 19:26:47 GMT
 BDE vs ADO performance
ADO takes a long time to load (for the first time). You should also test
performance if ADO and the BDE are already loaded.

Quote:
> I have converted my Paradox (.db) database to a ms access database
> (.mdb). I wrote a small program to test the performance with both BDE
> and ADOexpress. I was somewhat suprised that ADOexpress accessing the
> .MDB file took 10 times more then BDE accessing the .DB file. I also
> downloaded Diamond ADO, but this was even slower. Probably this is a
> known issue for most of you. Did I do something wrong?  Are there
> solutions to this problem?

> Any help would be appreciated,

> Wim Pool

Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:43:03 GMT
 BDE vs ADO performance
Sorry, I did. It is only the performance when the systems are loaded !!
Quote:

> ADO takes a long time to load (for the first time). You should also test
> performance if ADO and the BDE are already loaded.

> > I have converted my Paradox (.db) database to a ms access database
> > (.mdb). I wrote a small program to test the performance with both BDE
> > and ADOexpress. I was somewhat suprised that ADOexpress accessing the
> > .MDB file took 10 times more then BDE accessing the .DB file. I also
> > downloaded Diamond ADO, but this was even slower. Probably this is a
> > known issue for most of you. Did I do something wrong?  Are there
> > solutions to this problem?

> > Any help would be appreciated,

> > Wim Pool

Sat, 25 Oct 2003 21:02:43 GMT
 BDE vs ADO performance

Quote:
> > > I have converted my Paradox (.db) database to a ms access database
> > > (.mdb). I wrote a small program to test the performance with both BDE
> > > and ADOexpress. I was somewhat suprised that ADOexpress accessing the
> > > .MDB file took 10 times more then BDE accessing the .DB file. I also
> > > downloaded Diamond ADO, but this was even slower. Probably this is a
> > > known issue for most of you. Did I do something wrong?  Are there
> > > solutions to this problem?

I don't find it surprising.  BDE is the native driver for Paradox, whilst
DAO is the native driver for Access.  ADO is slower than DAO, and whether
you are using ADOExpress or Diamond ADO, you are using ADO.

As to solutions, for Access, there is a ctDirect mode for accessing the
tables, which effectively takes you into the native driver mode.  Different
types of cursor (Server vs. Client) can also affect how many records you
extract.  Finally the choice of a query component versus a table component
may also make a difference.

Oliver

Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:36:23 GMT

1. BDE vs ADO vs Apollo

2. performance of DAO vs ADO

3. BDE vs ADO

4. How to get the database type (ADO vs BDE)

5. Performance Paradox vs Access vs Other

6. Performance of ADO UpdateBatch

7. ADO performance

8. C/S vs Desktop Performance

9. Paradox vs. Codebase performance

10. Performance: Locate vs Query with SELECT statement

11. Performance v2.0 vs. v1.02

12. QBE vs SQL Performance