Delphi 5 BDE problem with Corel Suite
Author Message
 Delphi 5 BDE problem with Corel Suite

We have an application written in delphi 5, which works with a Paradox
database using a runtime alias. The BDE used is the 5.01 version.
The application works fine on all computers except those where Corel
suite has been previously installed.
I have tried installing the BDE locally with the application but that
does not help. In some cases the applications works fine but Corel
suite is not working anymore.
Does anyone recognize this problem and knows a solution? I would very
much appreciate any help I can get.
Annette

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Delphi 5 BDE problem with Corel Suite
I have similar problems with one of my sites.  You have to make sure the
user's PC has the correct version of the suite.  Preferably the OEM version.
That will allow index expressions to start with.  Also make sure the users
with Corel installed are not using Paradox at the same time they use your
Delphi app.

In addition, when upgrading, or installing a new app, close down the PCs
with Corel on them completely after you have done it.  I suspect Corel does
something to Explorer to stop people from breaching their license agreement
and some of the Delphi code looks like  Corel OEM type stuff and causes all
sort of fun and games.

You would think Corel and Delphi would be more compatable wouldn't you?

Oh yes.  Build your own Workstation install to configure the BDE as Corel
tries to control that as well and won't let you modify the configuration if
the PC doesn't have the OEM version installed.

I hope that helps.

Alan Jeffery
Professional Systems

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Delphi 5 BDE problem with Corel Suite
: We have an application written in delphi 5, which works with a Paradox
: database using a runtime alias. The BDE used is the 5.01 version.
: The application works fine on all computers except those where Corel
: suite has been previously installed.
: I have tried installing the BDE locally with the application but that
: does not help. In some cases the applications works fine but Corel
: suite is not working anymore.

Is that Corel Suite version 8?  In that version, it installs the BDE
to a different path and creates registry keys, whether or not another
version of the BDE is already installed.  I think the solution is
more likely to clean off the multiple BDE installations and get the
registry keys pointing to a single BDE.

I can't give you all the answers, but I would suggest searching for
all pertinent messages in the Corel knowledgebase, and searching all
old messages to both Delphi and Paradox newsgroups using a search
archive like http://developers.href.com/ or http://www.deja.com/
--
Rick Carter

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Delphi 5 BDE problem with Corel Suite
Corel does install the BDE in another directory from Borland/shared.  It's
Corel/Suite8/ shared.  I think.  Install Express will not install another
one as it will find the one installed by Corel.  So will a workstation
install once the BDE already exists.  There is not trouble finding the BDE.
Just a problem attempting manual changes to it.

Alan Jeffery
Professional Systems

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. corel suite breaks Delphi BDE

2. Delphi BDE and Corel

3. DBase tables using Corel 8 BDE

4. BDE and COREL

5. BDE Future: Corel has development rights apparently

6. BDE and Corel Office

7. D2 - Corel WP 7 Problems

8. Problems BDE Delphi 3 x BDE Delphi 4

9. ANN: SMExport suite 3.60 for Delphi/C++Builder

10. Delphi translation suite

11. PRESS: BORLAND ANNOUNCES NEW DELPHI CLIENT/SERVER SUITE 2.0

12. Delphi 3 to Delphi 5 TQuery / BDE problems...